Honeymooners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 rooms checking in today with special occasions....out comes the frozen cupcakes! As promised, here's a picture. Again, nothing super special, but the gesture is very much appreciated by the guests. I do a personalized flat card (with our logo) on the computer and place the cupcakes on the card.
lrg_DSCN0460_0.JPG

Mmm looks good to me right now! I have sprinkles and confetti in heart shapes I got last year after valentine's day I keep forgetting to use them.
Thank you for celebrating with them.
cheers.gif

I have 3 rooms checking in today with special occasions....out comes the frozen cupcakes! As promised, here's a picture. Again, nothing super special, but the gesture is very much appreciated by the guests. I do a personalized flat card (with our logo) on the computer and place the cupcakes on the card.
lrg_DSCN0460_0.JPG
OK, those look great! Here's my problem and maybe you've run into it and have the solution. Whenever I freeze cupcakes in the wrapper, the wrapper ends up all greasy and not appealing to look at or touch. How are you avoiding that? Would foil cups be better for me?

lrg_DSCN0460_0.JPG
OK, those look great! Here's my problem and maybe you've run into it and have the solution. Whenever I freeze cupcakes in the wrapper, the wrapper ends up all greasy and not appealing to look at or touch. How are you avoiding that? Would foil cups be better for me?
I haven't noticed a problem with the wrappers. Are you using a box mix or homemade? It sounds like your cake batter has a lot of oil. I just use the cheapy yellow or white cake mix. By the way, the frosting is also from a can. There was a day where I would be appalled at can frosting and box cake mix. That was before I became an innkeeper though! I've used vanilla can frosting and mixed in different extracts just to doctor it up a bit.

Mmm looks good to me right now! I have sprinkles and confetti in heart shapes I got last year after valentine's day I keep forgetting to use them.
cheers.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
cheers.gif
heart shapes would be great! Especially for valentines.

lrg_DSCN0460_0.JPG
I haven't noticed a problem with the wrappers. Are you using a box mix or homemade? It sounds like your cake batter has a lot of oil. I just use the cheapy yellow or white cake mix. By the way, the frosting is also from a can. There was a day where I would be appalled at can frosting and box cake mix. That was before I became an innkeeper though! I've used vanilla can frosting and mixed in different extracts just to doctor it up a bit.
Box mix but maybe it is the 'ooey gooey' mix. I'll get the less dense kind and try it.

lrg_DSCN0460_0.JPG
Have you seen the new cupcake liners that can actually be eaten? So cool. They were on home shopping network....from that Pilot show Kelly Rippa did on finding homemade products to market and make their business a success. It was the one product in several weeks of the show I actually thought could make that lady a millionaire.

lrg_DSCN0460_0.JPG
I never did frozen cupcakes but most of the time I used box cake mix and doctored it up. Red Velvet cupcakes were a favorite afternoon snack here. I have done various sprinkle toppings on the cream cheese icing. Otherwise they just look too plain.
I found a couple of different cute plates at places like TJ Maxx to put stuff like this on too. Wedding, birthday, and a set of 4 that have various sayings about chocolate! Guests like those special little touches.
Yum!

cheers.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
cheers.gif
heart shapes would be great! Especially for valentines.
I found some heart shape foil wrappers somewhere. I still have some here...

I was at stuffmart last night and saw a TON OF STUFF we could all use year round in heart and lovey dovey shapes. TONS OF IT, new items I have never seen in years past...

We used to do "special" freebies for anniversaries etc., but we're running a business here. Now, they don't get diddly-squat unless they buy a romance package.

I raided Target, Tuesday morning and Big Lots today - Valentine cake mix (the one with the little red bits), the new "spray can" "valentine colored .. rose" Pillsbury frosting, 4 different kind of red/white sprinkles including hearts ($1!! in the dollar section), 2 little plates that look like a cupcake ($1 again in their dollar section), cupcake liners with hearts on (gottem at Tues morning but cheaper at Target!!!!)
so THANK YOU BREAKFAST!!
I am a BIG SHARER when it comes to ideas but there are many that think if they share their ideas someone will steal their guests! Like WHAT PERCENTAGE of your guests have you had that you know have stayed at an another Inn on this forum???? Like NONE that I know of in my case ....maybe a couple that I don't ...
About 4 years ago someone (Gillum? other) shared that they had bought the (Laura Ashley) down alternative blankets at Tuesday Morning and I won't put any other blankets (other than down alternative although not necessarily Laura Ashley) on my beds now (although have learnt that the dark ones "pill" so I stick with the light colors), and at around $27-35 for queen I can afford to replace them if I have to ....

I raided Target, Tuesday morning and Big Lots today - Valentine cake mix (the one with the little red bits), the new "spray can" "valentine colored .. rose" Pillsbury frosting, 4 different kind of red/white sprinkles including hearts ($1!! in the dollar section), 2 little plates that look like a cupcake ($1 again in their dollar section), cupcake liners with hearts on (gottem at Tues morning but cheaper at Target!!!!)
so THANK YOU BREAKFAST!!
I am a BIG SHARER when it comes to ideas but there are many that think if they share their ideas someone will steal their guests! Like WHAT PERCENTAGE of your guests have you had that you know have stayed at an another Inn on this forum???? Like NONE that I know of in my case ....maybe a couple that I don't ...
About 4 years ago someone (Gillum? other) shared that they had bought the (Laura Ashley) down alternative blankets at Tuesday Morning and I won't put any other blankets (other than down alternative although not necessarily Laura Ashley) on my beds now (although have learnt that the dark ones "pill" so I stick with the light colors), and at around $27-35 for queen I can afford to replace them if I have to .....
"so THANK YOU BREAKFAST!!
I am a BIG SHARER when it comes to ideas but there are many that think if they share their ideas someone will steal their guests! Like WHAT PERCENTAGE of your guests have you had that you know have stayed at an another Inn on this forum???? Like NONE that I know of in my case ....maybe a couple that I don't ..."

You're welcome agoodman! Happy to share. I try not to look at other inns or innkeepers as competition, even if they're near me, but sometimes it's difficult because they consider others competition. I have an innmate in the next town from me and we share recipes all the time. Our style of b&b is so different, that it's only happened a couple times in 8 years that we've had the same guests stay at both places because our places attract different types.

so THANK YOU BREAKFAST!!
About 4 years ago someone (Gillum? other) shared that they had bought the (Laura Ashley) down alternative blankets at Tuesday Morning and I won't put any other blankets (other than down alternative although not necessarily Laura Ashley) on my beds now (although have learnt that the dark ones "pill" so I stick with the light colors), and at around $27-35 for queen I can afford to replace them if I have to .....
Wish I could claim credit - but we do not have a Tuesday Morning. However, I am willing to share whatever because I know I do not have any competition - no one else has ME!
I have been open sine 1996 and I have been trying to get another B &B in this town since 1998! What many do not realize is that 1 could be anywhere but 2 or more means there must be something there to keep them in business! Also could share marketing costs. SIGH! so far no go. The one person who REALLY wanted to open one really was not suited for it and had health issues that stopped her. I was helpful as I could be - but she had a penchant for looking at houses that would have cost the earth to reno.

so THANK YOU BREAKFAST!!
I am a BIG SHARER when it comes to ideas but there are many that think if they share their ideas someone will steal their guests! Like WHAT PERCENTAGE of your guests have you had that you know have stayed at an another Inn on this forum???? Like NONE that I know of in my case ....maybe a couple that I don't ..."

You're welcome agoodman! Happy to share. I try not to look at other inns or innkeepers as competition, even if they're near me, but sometimes it's difficult because they consider others competition. I have an innmate in the next town from me and we share recipes all the time. Our style of b&b is so different, that it's only happened a couple times in 8 years that we've had the same guests stay at both places because our places attract different types.
agoodman said:
Like WHAT PERCENTAGE of your guests have you had that you know have stayed at an another Inn on this forum???? Like NONE that I know of in my case ....maybe a couple that I don't ..."
Some may recall this exact situation with me last summer...a guest came to breakfast and called me by my nom de plume. And I know there are other forum members who are in my town. And we do share guests. It does happen. And I've been told, 'They make this at such and such, but they add this or that to it!'
We've had one of our long-time guests who was staying elsewhere come and sit on our porch in the afternoon because she liked the shade!
And, as an offline group, the B&B's in my town share a lot. We refer to each other, even our long-time guests, when we can't accommodate them. We share recipes. We do group packages together and a group website. We come to each other's aid. We've driven another innkeeper to the hospital, we've helped them with equipment repairs, house-minding. We share gardeners and snow plowers. We banded together to get lower fuel rates.
And we do share guests. Happens all the time. 'Oh, we've been coming to town for years, we've stayed at...' 'We really like the way so and so does this or that...'

so THANK YOU BREAKFAST!!

agoodman said:
Like WHAT PERCENTAGE of your guests have you had that you know have stayed at an another Inn on this forum???? Like NONE that I know of in my case ....maybe a couple that I don't ..."
Some may recall this exact situation with me last summer...a guest came to breakfast and called me by my nom de plume. And I know there are other forum members who are in my town. And we do share guests. It does happen. And I've been told, 'They make this at such and such, but they add this or that to it!'
We've had one of our long-time guests who was staying elsewhere come and sit on our porch in the afternoon because she liked the shade!
And, as an offline group, the B&B's in my town share a lot. We refer to each other, even our long-time guests, when we can't accommodate them. We share recipes. We do group packages together and a group website. We come to each other's aid. We've driven another innkeeper to the hospital, we've helped them with equipment repairs, house-minding. We share gardeners and snow plowers. We banded together to get lower fuel rates.
And we do share guests. Happens all the time. 'Oh, we've been coming to town for years, we've stayed at...' 'We really like the way so and so does this or that...'
Morticia said:
And we do share guests.
I doubt there has been a lot but with several forum innmates less than 6 hours away from me, I have 'shared' guests with GillumHouse and DonDraper that I know of, and I keep several innmates' rack cards in my library for my guests. It helps that I've visited several innmates and can speak in the first person about their offerings.
Goodness, the non-guest items that I've shared with other innkeepers both on and off the forum - laundry info from my neighbors across the state line, snack basket ideas from Samster (who is the big Tuesday morning fan), recipes from Morticia and Don Draper, blog ideas with Joey - the list goes on and on. As with everything else, you can pretty quickly tell who's not really interested in 'sharing' and then you don't bother any more. I don't have to do what every other innkeeper does to appreciate his or her input.

If I know you run an outstanding inn I will ALWAYS REFER GUESTS TO YOU. Case in point, there are a couple B&B's in Freeport Maine on this forum. I check guests out and notice they have an LLBEAN visa and I mention your B&B AND even write your URL on their statement! They are always interested in finding other great inns, and appreciate the referral. Maybe I am the only one who does this, but I can honestly say I do it!
I talk with our guests. Many times the stay here is part of a larger vacation or getaway or road trip. I inquire and recommend other inns either a) I know personally, or b) some of my innmates here have suggested are great places.
I am in the state that had the most battles during the Civil War. This year being the 150th sesquicentennial of this historic war, I will recommend inns near other locales/battles or historical significance for those interested.
It is a small world...
PS The innteractive blog is available to write an article about your place at any time. share the love...
email me if you do not have access. I will be happy to add you to the list!

so THANK YOU BREAKFAST!!

agoodman said:
Morticia said:
And we do share guests.
I doubt there has been a lot but with several forum innmates less than 6 hours away from me, I have 'shared' guests with GillumHouse and DonDraper that I know of, and I keep several innmates' rack cards in my library for my guests. It helps that I've visited several innmates and can speak in the first person about their offerings.
Goodness, the non-guest items that I've shared with other innkeepers both on and off the forum - laundry info from my neighbors across the state line, snack basket ideas from Samster (who is the big Tuesday morning fan), recipes from Morticia and Don Draper, blog ideas with Joey - the list goes on and on. As with everything else, you can pretty quickly tell who's not really interested in 'sharing' and then you don't bother any more. I don't have to do what every other innkeeper does to appreciate his or her input.
A sharing thing I've noticed on here is that a lot of B&B blogs link to other B&B blogs from this forum. That's not sharing guests, but it might lead to that!

so THANK YOU BREAKFAST!!

agoodman said:
Morticia said:
And we do share guests.
And your rack cards are in the brochure rack in my foyer as are the rack cards of other innmates who have stayed here.
I love to send guests to other innmates. I have copied info on the Lewis R French (a 2-masted schooner out of Camden, Maine) for many guests and tell them of the nearby innmates. I have been in that area 4 times and love to tell people about it. I tell my history buffs about the D-Day Memorial and the Bedford Boys when they are heading that way. In my former life, we traveled. In a conversation with my son yesterday he was saying it is so much better when you have been there and can visualize what the teacher is saying in history class. His teacher got tired of hearing - I've been there (from the Little Big Horn to Yorktoen & Appomattox).

Back