Honeymooners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Got a reservation and in the notes section was 'honeymoon'. I don't ask why you're coming here, but it's nice to know. However, this one struck me wrong. They are coming 3000 miles on this honeymoon, arriving late and leaving the next day. I'd love to wish them luck, and will leave them a nice card, but I'm not feeling the love. 3000 miles and I know they are not turning around and going home right away. Possibly, we're the end of the honeymoon, I don't know.
Am I being grinchy? (still?) Should I do the whole 'honeymoon' spread when I know they're spending the rest of their money someplace else? If it were 2 nights, not a problem. If it was local, not a problem. This just feels like a hit and run.
Are the wedding planning guides telling them to state it's your honeymoon to get an upgrade?

It is one night from 3000 miles away with late arrival - put a comgratulations card on the pillow and say congratulations to him and best wishes to her at breakfast and fergitaboudit. I am rethinking my rose for anniversaries since the price went up to $5.

I had a couple once tell me that it was their anniversary, giggling all the while (she on the phone, he in the background). I had to break it to them that I wasn't one of those nice B&Bs that left special surprises for anniversaries and honeymoons - because I don't - upon which they admitted it was not a special occasion. So, you know what my response is...

Why does it matter if it is beginning or end? Maybe they are moving? Do you have a "restriction" on how many nights / where they are coming from in order to treat them like "honeymooners" - so YOU ASKED, yup I think you are being a grinch ... sorry, treat them the same as every other honeymooner unless you put MAJOR food in the room which they would not eat that late. You never know where an angel or the next "word of mouth" comes from

Reminds me of the last 3000 miler honeymooners who are now the reason we lock all the other guest room doors, all the time. Give them a card next to the bed or on the bed, or write there name on something to be recognized. I think that is really nice!
Serious, I know I am a broken record, but we have gone to a b&B on our honeymoon, anniversaries, bdays and never ever was it even acknowledged and this includes bringing best friends on B&B girlfriend getaways for milestone bdays, etc. NOTHING. (this is not the case when I stay with innmates, of course, they are sweet)

Joey that is EXACTLY WHY I DO recognize them in some small way, even a little gift of a set of small candles or a heart shaped bottle opener, BECAUSE people like you say 'OUR CELEBRATION WAS NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED" - my honeymooners, anniversaries etc are my best "word of mouth" even with a tiny gift

oh and ps the last honeymooners we had started here (drove from Kentucky) and were heading to Maine. :)

Joey that is EXACTLY WHY I DO recognize them in some small way, even a little gift of a set of small candles or a heart shaped bottle opener, BECAUSE people like you say 'OUR CELEBRATION WAS NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED" - my honeymooners, anniversaries etc are my best "word of mouth" even with a tiny gift.
agoodman said:
Joey that is EXACTLY WHY I DO recognize them in some small way, even a little gift of a set of small candles or a heart shaped bottle opener, BECAUSE people like you say 'OUR CELEBRATION WAS NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED" - my honeymooners, anniversaries etc are my best "word of mouth" even with a tiny gift
I think that is grand. Without even being super fancy you can (this time of year) buy some valentine's stuff and use for this purpose throughout the year. Even silly little conversation hearts would be adorable for a honeymoon couple.
They are my favorite. Even if just one night, which is almost ALWAYS the case here, either get in late as their wedding night, or enroute some place else.
Why do I love them? Besides being no trouble at all, of course, but they are starting a new life together and there is joy. To me I like to glean a bit of that joy from them, as they typically are glowing, even the older remarried couples, they are happy! They leave here and have no clue about anything they saw as they are on cloud nine, but they take the little card with them and it goes in their wedding album. For that, it is priceless!

Joey that is EXACTLY WHY I DO recognize them in some small way, even a little gift of a set of small candles or a heart shaped bottle opener, BECAUSE people like you say 'OUR CELEBRATION WAS NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED" - my honeymooners, anniversaries etc are my best "word of mouth" even with a tiny gift.
agoodman said:
I think that is grand. Without even being super fancy you can (this time of year) buy some valentine's stuff and use for this purpose throughout the year. Even silly little conversation hearts would be adorable for a honeymoon couple.
They are my favorite. Even if just one night, which is almost ALWAYS the case here, either get in late as their wedding night, or enroute some place else.
Why do I love them? Besides being no trouble at all, of course, but they are starting a new life together and there is joy. To me I like to glean a bit of that joy from them, as they typically are glowing, even the older remarried couples, they are happy! They leave here and have no clue about anything they saw as they are on cloud nine, but they take the little card with them and it goes in their wedding album. For that, it is priceless!
Good idea about the V-Day stuff. A local candy maker does a really sweet (no pun intended) V-Day candy that they sell until they run out. I can get a big box of them now and repackage in little bags for the rest of the year. I always forget to get them now and go running to find them in the summer. And it's a lot less expensive for me to buy them in bulk and do the wrapping myself.

We don't do anything, everyone claims it is a birthday/anniversary/whatever. Congratulations, you were born/got married/whatever. Never understood the point of needing strangers to acknowledge this.
Sorry, but from 3000 miles away and late arrival, you are a place to sleep and nothing else. So I don't think you're being grinchy at all.
teeth_smile.gif

I like the Valentine temporary tatoos to gift thru-out the year - fun stuff.

We don't do anything, everyone claims it is a birthday/anniversary/whatever. Congratulations, you were born/got married/whatever. Never understood the point of needing strangers to acknowledge this.
Sorry, but from 3000 miles away and late arrival, you are a place to sleep and nothing else. So I don't think you're being grinchy at all.
teeth_smile.gif
We had guests who stayed 1/year, coming one year on one's birthday and the next year on the other. They never said a word to us about it. Until checkout the second year. Then they let us know they wouldn't be back because we did nothing for them. How could we even think to do something when we didn't know? Because the PO's did something and of course the PO's told us everything about every guest who ever stayed. Not.
In that case, I agree, why did they need us to acknowledge their birthdays. Otherwise, it takes me 5 seconds to pop a candle in a pancake and make someone's day.
So, it must be this honeymoon thing just caught me wrong. But I really do think it's because they're not staying here other than as a 'just off' or 'just on' the plane back home. Afterthought. That's my issue. I'm taking it personally that they don't think enough of here to stay longer than one night.

A card and some little chocolates would be very thoughtful. No need to spend any time or money for this couple. Just a gesture is plenty. I know it feels like a slight to you that they're arriving late and staying only 1 night, but look at it this way...they're probably headed somewhere else (farther way), but they chose your place for their first night because they liked it and it will be in their memories of their honeymoon.
80+% of our guests are celebrating something, so I would go broke if I spent a lot on little gifts for everyone. I make a personalized card on the computer and will place some local chocolates or homemade goodie with the card. We sell a lot of romantic add-ons, so if the couple wants champagne, wine or flowers, they or a family member can purchase it for them.
What I've been doing lately is making cupcakes (from a box) and freezing them. In the afternoon I'll frost it still frozen, place it in their room with a card and voila! Easy, pretty and just enough to make the couple feel special.
You're definitely not a grinch!

Breakfast what a nice idea!! Can you post a pic of one of your cupcakes?.
Sure, no guests until the end of the week, so I'll take a pic the next time. Another thing I used to do was I found a bunch of small heart shaped pans, so I would make brownies in them, take them them out and wrap them in aluminum foil and freeze them. Guests loved them, but it was more labor intensive because the non-stick of the pan was wearing out and it was getting harder and harder to get the brownies out. Whatever you choose to do, make sure it's quick, easy and cheap!

Breakfast what a nice idea!! Can you post a pic of one of your cupcakes?.
Sure, no guests until the end of the week, so I'll take a pic the next time. Another thing I used to do was I found a bunch of small heart shaped pans, so I would make brownies in them, take them them out and wrap them in aluminum foil and freeze them. Guests loved them, but it was more labor intensive because the non-stick of the pan was wearing out and it was getting harder and harder to get the brownies out. Whatever you choose to do, make sure it's quick, easy and cheap!
That's an idea! I tried making muffins in those pans, but they rose too high and the only heart-shaped bit was at the bottom! Brownies are a good idea and they freeze well.

I agree with the acknowledgment to be nice depending weather they are there for a weekend to be more. Maybe heart shaped pancakes or waffles? That would be cool.

I agree with the acknowledgment to be nice depending weather they are there for a weekend to be more. Maybe heart shaped pancakes or waffles? That would be cool..
birdwatcher said:
I agree with the acknowledgment to be nice depending weather they are there for a weekend to be more. Maybe heart shaped pancakes or waffles? That would be cool.
I should figure out how to do the heart-shaped pancakes. That's another great idea. Maybe a test run this Valentine's Day.

Back