Hot Sheets! Alexander Basek asks: Who should be greener, hotels or their guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Hot Sheets!
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]Alexander Basek asks: Who should be greener, hotels or their guests?[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]TRAVEL BLOG[/COLOR] • Alexander Basek • 03.09.09 | 10:19 AM ET For article click here

Really!! A person who thinks they need clean sheets every single day is a selfish, spoiled jerk in my not so humble opinion.

Interesting.
Yes - in a no consequence, no questions asked universe I would LOVE clean sheets every single day. I really, truly relish getting into freshly laundered sheets.
In a B&B world we have to balance "luxury" with "cost" with "value". My absolute bottom line is 3 nights with the same sheets. Some guests have requested new sheets every night .... and they get them. Some guests tell me I can leave on the same sheets for their entire stay but if it's over three nights I will "disobey", tell them I've going to disobey and change them anyway.
Why ???? I would be the person telling you NOT to change my sheets. I will also be the person sighing with delight as I slip between the fresh-smelling, new sheets. As I see it, we're supposed to be a home-away-from-home yet at the same time we need to be a respite - an ideal - possible, but not practical .... I would like to leave guests thinking
"I would if I could, but I can't (don't have the time or energy) so I don't. But at least I get it when I go to XYC B&B"

Interesting.
Yes - in a no consequence, no questions asked universe I would LOVE clean sheets every single day. I really, truly relish getting into freshly laundered sheets.
In a B&B world we have to balance "luxury" with "cost" with "value". My absolute bottom line is 3 nights with the same sheets. Some guests have requested new sheets every night .... and they get them. Some guests tell me I can leave on the same sheets for their entire stay but if it's over three nights I will "disobey", tell them I've going to disobey and change them anyway.
Why ???? I would be the person telling you NOT to change my sheets. I will also be the person sighing with delight as I slip between the fresh-smelling, new sheets. As I see it, we're supposed to be a home-away-from-home yet at the same time we need to be a respite - an ideal - possible, but not practical .... I would like to leave guests thinking
"I would if I could, but I can't (don't have the time or energy) so I don't. But at least I get it when I go to XYC B&B".
I was informed by some recent guests that I'd better NOT change their sheets on the third night of their stay. They said it was ridiculous to change them for the last night they were here. I told them that I usually changed them after the second night for a 4 night stay, despite what my new "green" cards say. They INSISTED that I did not change their sheets and were quite emphatic. I think if I had "disobeyed" them, they would have been really upset with me. lol!

Interesting.
"I would if I could, but I can't (don't have the time or energy) so I don't. But at least I get it when I go to XYC B&B".
I was informed by some recent guests that I'd better NOT change their sheets on the third night of their stay. They said it was ridiculous to change them for the last night they were here. I told them that I usually changed them after the second night for a 4 night stay, despite what my new "green" cards say. They INSISTED that I did not change their sheets and were quite emphatic. I think if I had "disobeyed" them, they would have been really upset with me. lol!
Ah yes - there's always the exception that proves the rule ..... I have my "standards" but I also play it by ear ..... hence "telling them" when I'm going to disobey
regular_smile.gif
There are definitely times when I've been talked into not changing sheets
teeth_smile.gif

Many, many years ago I went to Williamsburg and I remember them telling us that the inn was for male travelers only... women didn't travel or they stayed with friends.
The men would be expected to share a bed with at least one other stranger, maybe two or three.
The sheets were changed once a month whether they needed it or not.
=)
Kk.

I have a regular guest who stays 7 days at a time. They require their sheets to be changed daily. The entire set of towels is also required to be changed out daily as well. They also don't use any of the quilts or bedspreads so I take those off and put them away and just have a down comforter sealed in a white duvet cover and topped with another flat sheet to shield them from the "germs" They are paying $250 a night so I do whatever they want.
Generally though If the guest is staying 4 nights I change the sheets after two nights. If they are staying three nights I don't change the sheets at all during their stay.

Really!! A person who thinks they need clean sheets every single day is a selfish, spoiled jerk in my not so humble opinion..
Yes, I'll bet they don't wash their own every day, either!
RIki

We've yet to get the 'must have fresh sheets every day' type of guest. Thank goodness. I'm not in it for the laundry. And, most people have so much junk on the bed, around the bed, all over the place that it's hard enough just trying to pull the covers UP, much less remake the entire bed.
We have guests tell us to not bother changing the sheets. I may change out the pillow cases, tho.

We've yet to get the 'must have fresh sheets every day' type of guest. Thank goodness. I'm not in it for the laundry. And, most people have so much junk on the bed, around the bed, all over the place that it's hard enough just trying to pull the covers UP, much less remake the entire bed.
We have guests tell us to not bother changing the sheets. I may change out the pillow cases, tho..
Interesting...I'm heading out of town to take another look at B&B/cabin properties and when I booked my room (at another place because the one I'm interested in isn't open for Spring Break...not good) I found that very few of the cabins provide linens of any kind. This is a MAJOR inconvenience since my daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids are going with me so I have to come up with 3 extra sets of queen size sheets, 3 twin size sheets (and I don't have twin beds), blankets because it's turning cold, towels, and pillows. I don't want to strip my beds because the house is on the market...but I'll have to take all the pillows with me.
My car will be so full of linens that I won't have room for anything else!
Have you ever heard of such a policy? I could understand if these were bare bones cabins but they're NICE. Do you think that maybe this policy is in effect because this part of Texas is in the middle of a drought?
The one I'm interested in buying provides sheets but not towels. Strange!

We have guests tell us to not bother changing the sheets. I may change out the pillow cases, tho..
Interesting...I'm heading out of town to take another look at B&B/cabin properties and when I booked my room (at another place because the one I'm interested in isn't open for Spring Break...not good) I found that very few of the cabins provide linens of any kind. This is a MAJOR inconvenience since my daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids are going with me so I have to come up with 3 extra sets of queen size sheets, 3 twin size sheets (and I don't have twin beds), blankets because it's turning cold, towels, and pillows. I don't want to strip my beds because the house is on the market...but I'll have to take all the pillows with me.
Have you ever heard of such a policy? I could understand if these were bare bones cabins but they're NICE. Do you think that maybe this policy is in effect because this part of Texas is in the middle of a drought?
springlady said:
The cabin we rented last year and another this June has the policy that they give you the first set only. So you can wash them or live in them for the week. I can't imagine bringing them all, I brought a set for our bed and extra towels.

springlady said:
Interesting...I'm heading out of town to take another look at B&B/cabin properties and when I booked my room (at another place because the one I'm interested in isn't open for Spring Break...not good)
Why do you think this is 'not good'? I'm thinking they're not open because they don't want to deal with 'spring break'.
I think the last time we stayed in a cabin that did not provide linens it was in 1967! Even the very inexpensive cabins here ($75/night) provide all the linens.

springlady said:
The cabin we rented last year and another this June has the policy that they give you the first set only. So you can wash them or live in them for the week. I can't imagine bringing them all, I brought a set for our bed and extra towels.
That I can understand. But bringing everything? I've stayed in LOTS of cabin rentals in Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado but never found this policy before. It seems to be specific to this region of Texas only, which is why I'm wondering if it has to do with water usage. All of these properties are on wells.
I've run across one or two properties that "rent" linens.
Okay, here's the answer according to one lodge:
We and other resorts in this area ask that you bring your linens because the community of **** gets it’s water from wells and all water is disposed of in septic tanks, therefore commercial laundry must be sent to town to be cleaned. This is very expensive ($1.00 per lb.) and time consuming (1 week turnaround). In order to keep your costs down, we ask that you bring your sheets, pillow cases, kitchen and bath towels if possible. If this is a problem for you, if you forget, or need extra while here, contact the office. We do keep some extra in stock. If we were to furnish clean linens daily for all homes like a motel in the city does we would be forced to go up at least $5.00 per person per night on the rental rates. Our guests have indicated that they would rather bring their linens and keep the price down.
I'm not sure I'm buying this explanation. Can't washing machine water be considered "gray" water and not put into septic tanks?

springlady said:
Interesting...I'm heading out of town to take another look at B&B/cabin properties and when I booked my room (at another place because the one I'm interested in isn't open for Spring Break...not good)
Why do you think this is 'not good'? I'm thinking they're not open because they don't want to deal with 'spring break'.
I think the last time we stayed in a cabin that did not provide linens it was in 1967! Even the very inexpensive cabins here ($75/night) provide all the linens.
Actually, they are open next week for Spring Break but not now. This confirms what I suspected - they aren't living in the house and only open the property on school holidays and during the summer. This contradicts what their website states. I suspect that one or both of them are school teachers and thought this would be a nice seasonal business but they're not selling it as such.
My suspicion is that their website, decor, and rates are "staged to sell" and that they're not really working the property. I'm finding that their rates may be inflated so that they justify the sales price - it doesn't matter if they're too high if they're not actually renting the cabins, right? True, the decor in the cabins is really cute, but I'm finding that they're higher than comparable cabins on-river! If that's the case, the numbers don't add up for a viable business.
So I'm looking at another property on river. The cabins aren't as nice but that can be changed.
Lots to think about. I learned from purchasing my former business that there are LOTS of ways to cook the books if you want to inflate the business price. I was naive the first time around and hope to be smarter this time.

Interesting.
I change sheets on the third day but if they are staying 4 days I won't change them unless they really look bad.

I have a regular guest who stays 7 days at a time. They require their sheets to be changed daily. The entire set of towels is also required to be changed out daily as well. They also don't use any of the quilts or bedspreads so I take those off and put them away and just have a down comforter sealed in a white duvet cover and topped with another flat sheet to shield them from the "germs" They are paying $250 a night so I do whatever they want.
Generally though If the guest is staying 4 nights I change the sheets after two nights. If they are staying three nights I don't change the sheets at all during their stay..
oceans said:
Generally though If the guest is staying 4 nights I change the sheets after two nights. If they are staying three nights I don't change the sheets at all during their stay.
In 15 years, I have never had a guest ask me for clean sheets every day, although I would consider it for $250 a night! I really think it's ridiculous though, very few people chage their own sheets that often. At our Inn, we change them every three days; the towels every other day; and the washcloths, every day. If a guest insists (about the sheets) or throws them (the towels) on the floor, we go ahead and change them.

springlady said:
That I can understand. But bringing everything? I've stayed in LOTS of cabin rentals in Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado but never found this policy before. It seems to be specific to this region of Texas only, which is why I'm wondering if it has to do with water usage. All of these properties are on wells.
We and other resorts in this area ask that you bring your linens because the community of **** gets it’s water from wells and all water is disposed of in septic tanks, therefore commercial laundry must be sent to town to be cleaned. This is very expensive ($1.00 per lb.) and time consuming (1 week turnaround). In order to keep your costs down, we ask that you bring your sheets, pillow cases, kitchen and bath towels if possible. If this is a problem for you, if you forget, or need extra while here, contact the office. We do keep some extra in stock. If we were to furnish clean linens daily for all homes like a motel in the city does we would be forced to go up at least $5.00 per person per night on the rental rates. Our guests have indicated that they would rather bring their linens and keep the price down.
I'm not sure I'm buying this explanation. Can't washing machine water be considered "gray" water and not put into septic tanks?
We are on wells and septic here in Virginia just 6.5 miles from downtown. Our laundry water goes into the septic I'm sure - I don't know where else it would go??
I don't see what wells have to do with it. It just looks like they don't want to pay help to do laundry!
Riki

Generally though If the guest is staying 4 nights I change the sheets after two nights. If they are staying three nights I don't change the sheets at all during their stay..
oceans said:
In 15 years, I have never had a guest ask me for clean sheets every day, although I would consider it for $250 a night! I really think it's ridiculous though, very few people chage their own sheets that often. At our Inn, we change them every three days; the towels every other day; and the washcloths, every day. If a guest insists (about the sheets) or throws them (the towels) on the floor, we go ahead and change them.
nanhinchliff said:
oceans said:
I've mentioned this before, but after putting up the signs about hanging up the towels to reuse them, 90% of the guests hang their towels up for a second day. The 10% that don't now seem like an anomaly. Before it was about 50/50.

springlady said:
Actually, they are open next week for Spring Break but not now. This confirms what I suspected - they aren't living in the house and only open the property on school holidays and during the summer. This contradicts what their website states. I suspect that one or both of them are school teachers and thought this would be a nice seasonal business but they're not selling it as such.
My suspicion is that their website, decor, and rates are "staged to sell" and that they're not really working the property. I'm finding that their rates may be inflated so that they justify the sales price - it doesn't matter if they're too high if they're not actually renting the cabins, right? True, the decor in the cabins is really cute, but I'm finding that they're higher than comparable cabins on-river! If that's the case, the numbers don't add up for a viable business.
So I'm looking at another property on river. The cabins aren't as nice but that can be changed.
Lots to think about. I learned from purchasing my former business that there are LOTS of ways to cook the books if you want to inflate the business price. I was naive the first time around and hope to be smarter this time.
I think the sheets thing is odd, too. I think that they are trying to cut down on their work and the explanation is just a cover story. Most places will supply the linens but don't change or launder them during your stay, regardless of length of stay.
Yep, get their P&L statement and all that, otherwise you're just buying real estate. We encountered that a few times with places we were looking at. Also, places that took cash & didn't claim that as income.
I would think that property on a river would be more desirable in the area you're looking at :)

springlady said:
We are on wells and septic here in Virginia just 6.5 miles from downtown. Our laundry water goes into the septic I'm sure - I don't know where else it would go??
I don't see what wells have to do with it. It just looks like they don't want to pay help to do laundry!
Riki
Our laundry water goes into the septic I'm sure - I don't know where else it would go??
The where else could be a pond or holding tank that would just slowly flow into the ground or emptied to water the plants. Laundry water should fall into the "gray water" category meaning not for drinking but useable for watering plants. To put that amount of extra water into a septic system could easily upset the balance and fill it too quickly. Same reason cities are now required to separate storm sewers from sanitary sewers - heavy rins put so much extra water into the system the plant cannot handle it that quickly and it overflows - taking unprocessed materials into the river with the overflow.

Back