Hot Sheets! Alexander Basek asks: Who should be greener, hotels or their guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've yet to get the 'must have fresh sheets every day' type of guest. Thank goodness. I'm not in it for the laundry. And, most people have so much junk on the bed, around the bed, all over the place that it's hard enough just trying to pull the covers UP, much less remake the entire bed.
We have guests tell us to not bother changing the sheets. I may change out the pillow cases, tho..
Interesting...I'm heading out of town to take another look at B&B/cabin properties and when I booked my room (at another place because the one I'm interested in isn't open for Spring Break...not good) I found that very few of the cabins provide linens of any kind. This is a MAJOR inconvenience since my daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids are going with me so I have to come up with 3 extra sets of queen size sheets, 3 twin size sheets (and I don't have twin beds), blankets because it's turning cold, towels, and pillows. I don't want to strip my beds because the house is on the market...but I'll have to take all the pillows with me.
My car will be so full of linens that I won't have room for anything else!
Have you ever heard of such a policy? I could understand if these were bare bones cabins but they're NICE. Do you think that maybe this policy is in effect because this part of Texas is in the middle of a drought?
The one I'm interested in buying provides sheets but not towels. Strange!
springlady said:
Interesting...I'm heading out of town to take another look at B&B/cabin properties and when I booked my room (at another place because the one I'm interested in isn't open for Spring Break...not good) I found that very few of the cabins provide linens of any kind. This is a MAJOR inconvenience since my daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids are going with me so I have to come up with 3 extra sets of queen size sheets, 3 twin size sheets (and I don't have twin beds), blankets because it's turning cold, towels, and pillows. I don't want to strip my beds because the house is on the market...but I'll have to take all the pillows with me.
Have you ever heard of such a policy? I could understand if these were bare bones cabins but they're NICE. Do you think that maybe this policy is in effect because this part of Texas is in the middle of a drought?
The cabin we rented last year and another this June has the policy that they give you the first set only. So you can wash them or live in them for the week. I can't imagine bringing them all, I brought a set for our bed and extra towels.
That I can understand. But bringing everything? I've stayed in LOTS of cabin rentals in Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado but never found this policy before. It seems to be specific to this region of Texas only, which is why I'm wondering if it has to do with water usage. All of these properties are on wells.
I've run across one or two properties that "rent" linens.
Okay, here's the answer according to one lodge:
We and other resorts in this area ask that you bring your linens because the community of **** gets it’s water from wells and all water is disposed of in septic tanks, therefore commercial laundry must be sent to town to be cleaned. This is very expensive ($1.00 per lb.) and time consuming (1 week turnaround). In order to keep your costs down, we ask that you bring your sheets, pillow cases, kitchen and bath towels if possible. If this is a problem for you, if you forget, or need extra while here, contact the office. We do keep some extra in stock. If we were to furnish clean linens daily for all homes like a motel in the city does we would be forced to go up at least $5.00 per person per night on the rental rates. Our guests have indicated that they would rather bring their linens and keep the price down.
I'm not sure I'm buying this explanation. Can't washing machine water be considered "gray" water and not put into septic tanks?
We are on wells and septic here in Virginia just 6.5 miles from downtown. Our laundry water goes into the septic I'm sure - I don't know where else it would go??
I don't see what wells have to do with it. It just looks like they don't want to pay help to do laundry!
Riki
Our laundry water goes into the septic I'm sure - I don't know where else it would go??
The where else could be a pond or holding tank that would just slowly flow into the ground or emptied to water the plants. Laundry water should fall into the "gray water" category meaning not for drinking but useable for watering plants. To put that amount of extra water into a septic system could easily upset the balance and fill it too quickly. Same reason cities are now required to separate storm sewers from sanitary sewers - heavy rins put so much extra water into the system the plant cannot handle it that quickly and it overflows - taking unprocessed materials into the river with the overflow.
Believe it or not, our County does not allow any use of gray water. Yeh, we had a drought that was so bad they made the restaurants use paper plated but they turned a deaf ear on me.
We take the hose and collect the a/c and heat water generates and catch it in a barrel to water flowers and plants inside and out, and want to setup the whirlpool water to drain into a barrel in the basement. My flowers love love soapy water.
My concern with using laundry water is that we sometimes have to use bleach.
Anyway, I told the state green guy that the county won't let me use the gray water and sicced him on them. Now it appears I have to use an approved engineer to figure out what I am and am not allowed to collect. That's on the back burner after I get the other wing built.
Riki

We've yet to get the 'must have fresh sheets every day' type of guest. Thank goodness. I'm not in it for the laundry. And, most people have so much junk on the bed, around the bed, all over the place that it's hard enough just trying to pull the covers UP, much less remake the entire bed.
We have guests tell us to not bother changing the sheets. I may change out the pillow cases, tho..
springlady said:
The cabin we rented last year and another this June has the policy that they give you the first set only. So you can wash them or live in them for the week. I can't imagine bringing them all, I brought a set for our bed and extra towels.
That I can understand. But bringing everything? I've stayed in LOTS of cabin rentals in Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado but never found this policy before. It seems to be specific to this region of Texas only, which is why I'm wondering if it has to do with water usage. All of these properties are on wells.
We and other resorts in this area ask that you bring your linens because the community of **** gets it’s water from wells and all water is disposed of in septic tanks, therefore commercial laundry must be sent to town to be cleaned. This is very expensive ($1.00 per lb.) and time consuming (1 week turnaround). In order to keep your costs down, we ask that you bring your sheets, pillow cases, kitchen and bath towels if possible. If this is a problem for you, if you forget, or need extra while here, contact the office. We do keep some extra in stock. If we were to furnish clean linens daily for all homes like a motel in the city does we would be forced to go up at least $5.00 per person per night on the rental rates. Our guests have indicated that they would rather bring their linens and keep the price down.
I'm not sure I'm buying this explanation. Can't washing machine water be considered "gray" water and not put into septic tanks?
We are on wells and septic here in Virginia just 6.5 miles from downtown. Our laundry water goes into the septic I'm sure - I don't know where else it would go??
I don't see what wells have to do with it. It just looks like they don't want to pay help to do laundry!
Riki
Our laundry water goes into the septic I'm sure - I don't know where else it would go??
The where else could be a pond or holding tank that would just slowly flow into the ground or emptied to water the plants. Laundry water should fall into the "gray water" category meaning not for drinking but useable for watering plants. To put that amount of extra water into a septic system could easily upset the balance and fill it too quickly. Same reason cities are now required to separate storm sewers from sanitary sewers - heavy rins put so much extra water into the system the plant cannot handle it that quickly and it overflows - taking unprocessed materials into the river with the overflow.
gillumhouse said:
This all goes back to the permit process. We could not sell our 4 bedroom home in WA State as 4 bedroom as the septic was only approved for 3 bedroom, so it was 3 bedroom and a den or office. We also had to have a new septic design drawn up as the current active engineer was not licensed in our county - he was when he drew it, he didn't renew it. He was license 4 miles from us. They are very particular and it cost us thousands.
If a B&B opens - or cabins it s/b required to have everything approved (health dept) for operating or not be allowed to open. In America. Again getting back to the illegal B&B situation.
I stayed at a B&B in Costa Rica that was in the rain forest and they brought water up from a creek. It was an eco-lodge and operated as such. Your shower was a trickle of water that was used to water the plants afterward. Nothing was wasted.

springlady said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
This all goes back to the permit process. We could not sell our 4 bedroom home in WA State as 4 bedroom as the septic was only approved for 3 bedroom, so it was 3 bedroom and a den or office. We also had to have a new septic design drawn up as the current active engineer was not licensed in our county - he was when he drew it, he didn't renew it. He was license 4 miles from us. They are very particular and it cost us thousands.
If a B&B opens - or cabins it s/b required to have everything approved (health dept) for operating or not be allowed to open. In America. Again getting back to the illegal B&B situation.
I stayed at a B&B in Costa Rica that was in the rain forest and they brought water up from a creek. It was an eco-lodge and operated as such. Your shower was a trickle of water that was used to water the plants afterward. Nothing was wasted.
I agree. But I have found here in Albemarle County, what is approved for some is not approved for others. Many tell me that I am incorrect about what's allowed when I tell them what I am told. It gets old...especially when there is nothing that I can do about it.
They will use case in point a Relais Chateau 12 room inn owned by people with lots and lots of money that does not have to do what I say I am told to do. Umm yeah, when I ask the County they tell me it's historical so is "different"
Riki

springlady said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
I agree. But I have found here in Albemarle County, what is approved for some is not approved for others. Many tell me that I am incorrect about what's allowed when I tell them what I am told. It gets old...especially when there is nothing that I can do about it.
They will use case in point a Relais Chateau 12 room inn owned by people with lots and lots of money that does not have to do what I say I am told to do. Umm yeah, when I ask the County they tell me it's historical so is "different"
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Oh it is definitely a power and control issue for many of them. Those who haven't dealt with is have no idea. Divorce, heart attack - all common for those dealing with those officials. In WA State people had bumper sitckers "It should be as hard to get welfare as a health dept permit"

springlady said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Oh it is definitely a power and control issue for many of them. Those who haven't dealt with is have no idea. Divorce, heart attack - all common for those dealing with those officials. In WA State people had bumper sitckers "It should be as hard to get welfare as a health dept permit"
In WA State people had bumper sitckers "It should be as hard to get welfare as a health dept permit"
Ain't that the truth! There was a bill introduced in the Legislature to require a random "pee" (my word) test for Welfare recipiants. What a fire storm of protest! Hey, you have to do the pee test to get a JOB - you that thing where you put in 8 hours of your time in exchange for a paycheck that has already had TAXES, FICA, SS, etc deducted and you get what is left.... Of course that is given to Welfare with no strings and no requirements. I think job training and study for a GED should be a requirement myself or how about cleaning roadsides or street sweeping or even (gasp!) keeping their building clean. Yeah, I am a conservative and get moreso as I get older and see my money taken from me as I work my butt off and stopped at every turn by stupid bureaucratic rules to keep my from earning more money for them to tax to give away........

springlady said:
Riki
gillumhouse said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
In WA State people had bumper sitckers "It should be as hard to get welfare as a health dept permit"
Ain't that the truth! There was a bill introduced in the Legislature to require a random "pee" (my word) test for Welfare recipiants. What a fire storm of protest! Hey, you have to do the pee test to get a JOB - you that thing where you put in 8 hours of your time in exchange for a paycheck that has already had TAXES, FICA, SS, etc deducted and you get what is left.... Of course that is given to Welfare with no strings and no requirements. I think job training and study for a GED should be a requirement myself or how about cleaning roadsides or street sweeping or even (gasp!) keeping their building clean. Yeah, I am a conservative and get moreso as I get older and see my money taken from me as I work my butt off and stopped at every turn by stupid bureaucratic rules to keep my from earning more money for them to tax to give away........
gillumhouse said:
Yeah, I am a conservative and get moreso as I get older and see my money taken from me as I work my butt off and stopped at every turn by stupid bureaucratic rules to keep my from earning more money for them to tax to give away........
Funny, I don't see that as conservative, I see that as fair. (Not the random drug testing, I think that's a crock all the way around. I refuse to take drug tests for work.) What I meant was fair was that you need to show some effort in life to get money. Like getting a GED if you don't have one, or keeping your surroundings neat and tidy. Or doing some sort of 'public service' in exchange for welfare money.

I've never heard about bringing your own linens to rent a cabin. As for the septic thing, we have a septic system, we have two, and I usually ask the guest if they require daily sheets, actually I have a little "Garvey House Suggestions" in every room and there I specify if that we usually do not change the sheets unless its longer than a three day stay and that they should let us know if they would like clean towels daily, we usually put two towels (as in hand towel and washcloths) for a three day stay unless they ask for clean towels we do not offer them.
Its just environmentally better to do this and I've not had any guests require clean sheets or towels daily.
My daughter worked for a resort when she was home for summer break, and all their cabins come with all linens and towels...of course there where no changing the beds or extra towels given, if you want that then you bring your own.
As for the drug testing, I don't think its a conservative or any other thing to ask to be drug tested, but there was a big STINK about our teachers being drug tested here in WV and they won the battle, they don't have to be. I don't think that every single welfare, workman's comp, unemployement or SSI receipient should be drug tested, I do think however that they should get training and education to get a job---or the government should put them to work until they can find a real job.

I've never heard about bringing your own linens to rent a cabin. As for the septic thing, we have a septic system, we have two, and I usually ask the guest if they require daily sheets, actually I have a little "Garvey House Suggestions" in every room and there I specify if that we usually do not change the sheets unless its longer than a three day stay and that they should let us know if they would like clean towels daily, we usually put two towels (as in hand towel and washcloths) for a three day stay unless they ask for clean towels we do not offer them.
Its just environmentally better to do this and I've not had any guests require clean sheets or towels daily.
My daughter worked for a resort when she was home for summer break, and all their cabins come with all linens and towels...of course there where no changing the beds or extra towels given, if you want that then you bring your own.
As for the drug testing, I don't think its a conservative or any other thing to ask to be drug tested, but there was a big STINK about our teachers being drug tested here in WV and they won the battle, they don't have to be. I don't think that every single welfare, workman's comp, unemployement or SSI receipient should be drug tested, I do think however that they should get training and education to get a job---or the government should put them to work until they can find a real job..
I rented a cabin at Oglebay Resort for a week, 1990 to 1993. We were given the option of their linens or bring our own. I think I paid the extra for the linens because we had friends & family coming in from all over. We had a 4-bedroom, 2-bath cabin each year. Wonderful place. I grew up about 30 miles north of Oglebay.

As for the drug testing, I don't think its a conservative or any other thing to ask to be drug tested, but there was a big STINK about our teachers being drug tested here in WV and they won the battle, they don't have to be. I don't think that every single welfare, workman's comp, unemployement or SSI receipient should be drug tested, I do think however that they should get training and education to get a job---or the government should put them to work until they can find a real job..
I'm baaack!
Honestly, it's SUCH a drag to take linens along! We rented two cabins because my mother and granddaughter went with me and my daughter and SIL took their three "new" boys. So I had to scrounge up 4 queen sets and two twins, comforters, enough pillows to go around, and towels and washcloths. I completely forgot about kitchen linens and pot holders so we had to sacrifice some washclothes. The place we stayed was well stocked with cooking utensils but forgetting about kitchen linens was a pain.
And since this place is 34 miles from the nearest real grocery store I had a large and small ice chest full of food, a giant dog crate for the three papillons, and clothes. My car has never been so packed and Catherine's mini-van didn't have an inch to spare.
It was an enormous job just to pack and unpack the car, make the beds, stock the frig, then "break camp" again today. If I had to do it again I honestly would think twice about going back to this area.
So I've found my niche IF I get the property I'm considering. I will offer a B&B cabin WITH LINENS. No daily maid service, no change of linens unless they stay a week, they can turn their towels in for fresh ones every two days. This is an unheard of luxury in this area...
I think I'll offer a choice of a "breakfast" stocked refrigerator in the two bedroom cabins or breakfast in the main house.
I'll also offer a grocery service from a set list of items for a 10% charge (minimum $15 charge). They can choose items from the list and I'll have them in the frig when they check in.
Why do they make you bring your own linens? Because they can. It's like all the lodges got together and decided that this is what they'd do.
If I buy this property I'll have to do something special since my cabins aren't on the river. If I offer linen service, a breakfast, and can point them towards a river shuttle service I think I can compete.

Cabins / Vacation rentals...I have seen it both ways. some with 'bring your own linens' while others have the place already pre-made. Went to one beach rental that had everything pre-made but required you (as one of many rules to get your cleaning deposit back) strip the beds, remove all towels etc. and start 2 loads of wash - have one in dryer and one in washer before leaving. Also fill dishwasher and start (even if just 3-4 glasses) before leaving.
Regarding changing linens at our B&B, for stays of more than 3 nights, I change on 3rd night unless a 4 night stay which I will change after 2nd. I have found though, that many of these longer stays say not to bother with changing their sheets. Like Bree, I have a sign about towels - "hang to reuse, place on floor to replace" which seems to work very well. I do however always replace used washcloths each morning.
GH - I am with you 100%....

I'm baaack!
Honestly, it's SUCH a drag to take linens along! We rented two cabins because my mother and granddaughter went with me and my daughter and SIL took their three "new" boys. So I had to scrounge up 4 queen sets and two twins, comforters, enough pillows to go around, and towels and washcloths. I completely forgot about kitchen linens and pot holders so we had to sacrifice some washclothes. The place we stayed was well stocked with cooking utensils but forgetting about kitchen linens was a pain.
And since this place is 34 miles from the nearest real grocery store I had a large and small ice chest full of food, a giant dog crate for the three papillons, and clothes. My car has never been so packed and Catherine's mini-van didn't have an inch to spare.
It was an enormous job just to pack and unpack the car, make the beds, stock the frig, then "break camp" again today. If I had to do it again I honestly would think twice about going back to this area.
So I've found my niche IF I get the property I'm considering. I will offer a B&B cabin WITH LINENS. No daily maid service, no change of linens unless they stay a week, they can turn their towels in for fresh ones every two days. This is an unheard of luxury in this area...
I think I'll offer a choice of a "breakfast" stocked refrigerator in the two bedroom cabins or breakfast in the main house.
I'll also offer a grocery service from a set list of items for a 10% charge (minimum $15 charge). They can choose items from the list and I'll have them in the frig when they check in.
Why do they make you bring your own linens? Because they can. It's like all the lodges got together and decided that this is what they'd do.
If I buy this property I'll have to do something special since my cabins aren't on the river. If I offer linen service, a breakfast, and can point them towards a river shuttle service I think I can compete.
Springlady - I think you may have a very good nitch for that area if you purchase there. I think you will win over some regulars to the area.
At first it sounds nice 'save a few bucks and bring your own' until you start buying it and packing it all in the car - then to lug it all home and start washing - YUCK what happened to the vacation???

I'm baaack!
Sounds like the perfect niche!

Back