Hot Tubs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
Hi everyone. It has been a while since I've been here, sure missed it.
OK, I am going to purchase a Hot Tub this summer. Since we are in Alaska it is a good investment.
I like to ask for some do's and dont's , hints, tips, ticks on cleaning, etc...
Inside or out?
Any input will be greately appreciated.
Thanks,
Maggie

Have you checked with your insurance company yet to find out how much your liability would cost?? That was what did it for me was the cost, also I hear they cost several hundred a year to run and also you need to post rules!! My neighbors are too close so one of them would surely say something!!, That and I have a 150 Magnolia tree that would shed year round in it.

I plan to get one but don't have the money yet.
There is an inn here in Charlottesville, VA that has one and he says the new ones are very economical to run and require far less chemicals etc than the old ones.
Riki

In Alaska people walk around wearing side arms. Volcanoes are erutping, Giant moose stand in the highway. I wouldn't be worried about hot tub liability. LOL
George at Jackson House had a hot tub. It was gated, and he had a little sign that guests would put on the gate when they were in there - which meant reserved for them only. You could see it, the gate was iron or something. It was not for privacy as such, just kind of a time slot. He had robes as well for this reason in the rooms to wear out and back.
He said it was the best amenity he had to offer - he had bicycling groups who booked there just for the hot tub. He told me to put it in a semi-private place. Not right out in the open, but not secluded either.

PS The new ones are easy to clean and require less chemicals. Have radios or cd players and all sorts of gadgets built in.
Outside for sure.

In Alaska people walk around wearing side arms. Volcanoes are erutping, Giant moose stand in the highway. I wouldn't be worried about hot tub liability. LOL
George at Jackson House had a hot tub. It was gated, and he had a little sign that guests would put on the gate when they were in there - which meant reserved for them only. You could see it, the gate was iron or something. It was not for privacy as such, just kind of a time slot. He had robes as well for this reason in the rooms to wear out and back.
He said it was the best amenity he had to offer - he had bicycling groups who booked there just for the hot tub. He told me to put it in a semi-private place. Not right out in the open, but not secluded either..
The Inn here has theirs set inside a wooden gazebo and it looks super.
Riki

Mooseberry Inn said:
OK, I am going to purchase a Hot Tub this summer. Since we are in Alaska it is a good investment.
Inside or out?
We have a soft-tub hot tub, the kind with soft sides instead of molded seats. Many guests enjoy it; for some it is definitely a sought-after amenity and one of the reasons they choose a place.
Ours is outside so people can enjoy the view during the day or the stars at night, but of course then it can't be used during inclement weather.
We used to run it all year, but now we close it down during the winter. People loved the idea of soaking in hot water while they're surrounded by snow and sub-freezing temps, but in reality very few people used it in the winter. They don't want to do the run across a snowy deck afterwards to get back to their warm rooms.
If you have a glassed-in sunroom (green-house style with roof) that would be a good location to allow for both viewing and poor weather.
Also consider how loud the motor is when choosing a style and location. Our motor cycles on and off around the clock to maintain the heat. You don't want something that will annoy the guests at night.

Mooseberry Inn said:
Inside or out?
We have a soft-tub hot tub, the kind with soft sides instead of molded seats. Many guests enjoy it; for some it is definitely a sought-after amenity and one of the reasons they choose a place.
Ours is outside so people can enjoy the view during the day or the stars at night, but of course then it can't be used during inclement weather.
We used to run it all year, but now we close it down during the winter. People loved the idea of soaking in hot water while they're surrounded by snow and sub-freezing temps, but in reality very few people used it in the winter. They don't want to do the run across a snowy deck afterwards to get back to their warm rooms.
If you have a glassed-in sunroom (green-house style with roof) that would be a good location to allow for both viewing and poor weather.
Also consider how loud the motor is when choosing a style and location. Our motor cycles on and off around the clock to maintain the heat. You don't want something that will annoy the guests at night..
That sounds like the one our other inn here has. They say it only takes minutes to heat up so there is a constant temperature for theirs as well.
Riki

In room whirlpool tubs are preferable..but having a hot tub is a great amenity. My friends have one it is under a gazebo and fairly private. They "schedule" times that guests use it..to insure privacy. Rules posted but I don't think insurance is an issue for them..they have never said it was. But..you may want to check with your local authorities and YOUR insurance agent first.
I bought my own hot tub a few years ago. VERY inexpensive to run. I have it on an enclosed screen porch. I use the silver ion cartridge and an ozonator for my purification. Occasionally I add shock treatment. However I am the only one using it. When you have lots of people using it, you will have to assure in maintaining the sanitation. CRITICAL.
I for one will NOT even sit in a "community hot tub" anywhere. I just don't trust sanitation. I think we may have covered this somewhere before..but it may be on the old about.com forum.

Our Inn came with a 70s vintage hot tub that I am learning how to maintain. I would suggest buy top quality. Get the UV silver purification set-up to vastly reduce the chemicals and maintenance. Also get a control panel that only gives guests the ability to start the jets and bubbles. I have to go out and reset the temp and mode on mine almost every time someone uses it because they just start banging away on all the buttons. I'm looking for some kind of limited control panel.....

Year 1 and 2 I had call after call after call asking if we had a hot tub. That was when we considered doing it, but now we don't get any calls for it. Was it just a fad?

We have been looking into getting a couple japanese soaking tubs instead of a hot tub. We have to investigate the pros and cons, but the former would be a better fit for Hawaii and our climate. I was interested in the comments about reduced maintenance for new hot tubs, since that was something we were thinking could be a problem for us. Insurance is important.

The PO told us he got a lot of inquirys about the hot tub but few people used it. Our history is short and off season but so far we figure about one couple in 20 are using ours.

The PO told us he got a lot of inquirys about the hot tub but few people used it. Our history is short and off season but so far we figure about one couple in 20 are using ours..
It could be one of those things that people look for to book but never use. About half of our guests ask for a suite with a whirlpool tub but don't get around to using it.
Riki

We have been looking into getting a couple japanese soaking tubs instead of a hot tub. We have to investigate the pros and cons, but the former would be a better fit for Hawaii and our climate. I was interested in the comments about reduced maintenance for new hot tubs, since that was something we were thinking could be a problem for us. Insurance is important..
Check this place out...they have the REAL thing in Japanese Baths. I very select niche and they do wonderfully

Let me see if I have this right.... with a Japanese bath you are naked??? And you can reserve the bath for the whole family???? Hmmmmmmm is there a nudist B&B anyone know of?
whattha.gif

We have been looking into getting a couple japanese soaking tubs instead of a hot tub. We have to investigate the pros and cons, but the former would be a better fit for Hawaii and our climate. I was interested in the comments about reduced maintenance for new hot tubs, since that was something we were thinking could be a problem for us. Insurance is important..
Check this place out...they have the REAL thing in Japanese Baths. I very select niche and they do wonderfully
They look really cool and are obviously presented in a traditional way.
Hawaii has a strong asian influence and we think it would be a better fit for us since we are focused on Hawaiian culture. There is actually a tub called a Ofuro or Furo, which can be rustic or modern, allows a person to immerse up to the neck. There very nice and if we get two of them, we can set up a private space that couples can reserve for their use. The more I type, the more I like the idea!
wink_smile.gif

They look really cool and are obviously presented in a traditional way.
Hawaii has a strong asian influence and we think it would be a better fit for us since we are focused on Hawaiian culture. There is actually a tub called a Ofuro or Furo, which can be rustic or modern, allows a person to immerse up to the neck. There very nice and if we get two of them, we can set up a private space that couples can reserve for their use. The more I type, the more I like the idea!
wink_smile.gif

knkbnb said:
The more I type, the more I like the idea!
wink_smile.gif
The more I read, the more I like the idea! ;)

I don't think North Americans are progressive enough to have baths with their family members in their birthday suits.

I don't think North Americans are progressive enough to have baths with their family members in their birthday suits..
TLE041 said:
I don't think North Americans are progressive enough to have baths with their family members in their birthday suits.
I hope we are never that progressive.
wow.gif

Back