Hot Tubs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think North Americans are progressive enough to have baths with their family members in their birthday suits..
But I don't think they are talking about family. This idea, I think, is more for the couples who use the two person whirlpool tub. I think the idea of the soaking tubs for two is a great idea and would work very well in this case! It would be romantic!
Riki

Let me see if I have this right.... with a Japanese bath you are naked??? And you can reserve the bath for the whole family???? Hmmmmmmm is there a nudist B&B anyone know of?
whattha.gif
YES and that is the traditional Japanese way. IF you read their site you would see they "schedule" times. One male bath one female bath ...or families can use together. I certainly don't wear a bathing suit in my own hot tub!

Let me see if I have this right.... with a Japanese bath you are naked??? And you can reserve the bath for the whole family???? Hmmmmmmm is there a nudist B&B anyone know of?
whattha.gif
YES and that is the traditional Japanese way. IF you read their site you would see they "schedule" times. One male bath one female bath ...or families can use together. I certainly don't wear a bathing suit in my own hot tub!
catlady said:
If I didn't wear one I would be in there shaving my legs and washing. ha ha

We have been looking into getting a couple japanese soaking tubs instead of a hot tub. We have to investigate the pros and cons, but the former would be a better fit for Hawaii and our climate. I was interested in the comments about reduced maintenance for new hot tubs, since that was something we were thinking could be a problem for us. Insurance is important..
Check this place out...they have the REAL thing in Japanese Baths. I very select niche and they do wonderfully
They look really cool and are obviously presented in a traditional way.
Hawaii has a strong asian influence and we think it would be a better fit for us since we are focused on Hawaiian culture. There is actually a tub called a Ofuro or Furo, which can be rustic or modern, allows a person to immerse up to the neck. There very nice and if we get two of them, we can set up a private space that couples can reserve for their use. The more I type, the more I like the idea!
wink_smile.gif

Yes theirs in called a ofuro. They are built square, but they are beautiful and immaculate. The water is piped from a fresh mountain spring and heated to 104 degrees. They also have ozonators on theirs. But they are set up so that you bathe and are totally clean BEFORE you enter the baths.

I don't think North Americans are progressive enough to have baths with their family members in their birthday suits..
She tells me that 90% of their guests are Japanese or people who have lived in Japan and are familiar with the practice. They also get a lot ot "day trippers" who come out just to take the baths. LIke I said a very unique niche.

We have been looking into getting a couple japanese soaking tubs instead of a hot tub. We have to investigate the pros and cons, but the former would be a better fit for Hawaii and our climate. I was interested in the comments about reduced maintenance for new hot tubs, since that was something we were thinking could be a problem for us. Insurance is important..
Check this place out...they have the REAL thing in Japanese Baths. I very select niche and they do wonderfully
They look really cool and are obviously presented in a traditional way.
Hawaii has a strong asian influence and we think it would be a better fit for us since we are focused on Hawaiian culture. There is actually a tub called a Ofuro or Furo, which can be rustic or modern, allows a person to immerse up to the neck. There very nice and if we get two of them, we can set up a private space that couples can reserve for their use. The more I type, the more I like the idea!
wink_smile.gif

Yes theirs in called a ofuro. They are built square, but they are beautiful and immaculate. The water is piped from a fresh mountain spring and heated to 104 degrees. They also have ozonators on theirs. But they are set up so that you bathe and are totally clean BEFORE you enter the baths.
I did some more reading and got the same thing. I was a little confused about the differences between the round and oval tubs and the square or rectangular tubs. It appears they are all ofuro.

But I don't think they are talking about family. This idea, I think, is more for the couples who use the two person whirlpool tub. I think the idea of the soaking tubs for two is a great idea and would work very well in this case! It would be romantic!
Riki
Yes I think that is what we are thinking. It would be designed as a seperate space in a different building with the soaking tubs, a place for traditional Hawaiian massage, and an area for a tea ceremony.

Riki
Yes I think that is what we are thinking. It would be designed as a seperate space in a different building with the soaking tubs, a place for traditional Hawaiian massage, and an area for a tea ceremony.
knkbnb said:
I keep wanting to ask you...do you have many first time Hawaii visitors? You have a definite niche and you are expanding that niche. Are many from other islands or overseas?
Just curious as the first timers are typically so tourista and then they go back and enjoy more of the culture as a repeat visitor. ?

Riki
knkbnb said:
I keep wanting to ask you...do you have many first time Hawaii visitors? You have a definite niche and you are expanding that niche. Are many from other islands or overseas?
Just curious as the first timers are typically so tourista and then they go back and enjoy more of the culture as a repeat visitor. ?
Thanks for asking JBJ
We have a fair share of first time visitors and foreign travelers.
We think we are on the leading edge of a new wave of visitors who are better informed, more curious about what went down 100 years ago, and interested in learning about actual Hawaiian culture.
We are just starting to see return guests. (Our cycle for that is much longer)
We do get a fair amount of visitors who are regular travelers to Hawaii and want to get away from the not-so-fulfilling resort experience of Hawaii.
We also have several return groups that come to see us each year. Those groups are centered around Hawaiian cultural activities, like traditional weaving or feather art. We have a workshop coming up in few months for traditional kapa making (bark cloth).

Riki
knkbnb said:
Thanks for asking JBJ
We have a fair share of first time visitors and foreign travelers.
We think we are on the leading edge of a new wave of visitors who are better informed, more curious about what went down 100 years ago, and interested in learning about actual Hawaiian culture.
We are just starting to see return guests. (Our cycle for that is much longer)
We do get a fair amount of visitors who are regular travelers to Hawaii and want to get away from the not-so-fulfilling resort experience of Hawaii.
We also have several return groups that come to see us each year. Those groups are centered around Hawaiian cultural activities, like traditional weaving or feather art. We have a workshop coming up in few months for traditional kapa making (bark cloth).
THis sounds wonderful. I for one have done all the touristy stuff and if we ever return, yours sounds like the perfect place.

Year 1 and 2 I had call after call after call asking if we had a hot tub. That was when we considered doing it, but now we don't get any calls for it. Was it just a fad?.
Maybe they just all found out you didn't have one so they stopped asking! LOL
teeth_smile.gif

We had a 4 person portable hot tub but recently sold it and invested in a beautiful 6-7 person with the enclosure. It was that or a pool and felt this was a better wy to spend our money. Obviously cheaper too. Just have to wait for the snow to melt before they can install. Because we are in the country amenities are a plus and it also goes along with our wellness theme--small fitness room and spa room downstairs. Also we bought a massage chair that really is great! (I use it myself)

I plan to get one but don't have the money yet.
There is an inn here in Charlottesville, VA that has one and he says the new ones are very economical to run and require far less chemicals etc than the old ones.
Riki.
That is waht they tell me too wit the new ones. They also suppose to cost only $17.00 a month on electricity if you just have them sitting there keeping warm. But I guess that also depends on where you live, our rate is 52 cents per KW......urgh

In Alaska people walk around wearing side arms. Volcanoes are erutping, Giant moose stand in the highway. I wouldn't be worried about hot tub liability. LOL
George at Jackson House had a hot tub. It was gated, and he had a little sign that guests would put on the gate when they were in there - which meant reserved for them only. You could see it, the gate was iron or something. It was not for privacy as such, just kind of a time slot. He had robes as well for this reason in the rooms to wear out and back.
He said it was the best amenity he had to offer - he had bicycling groups who booked there just for the hot tub. He told me to put it in a semi-private place. Not right out in the open, but not secluded either..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
In Alaska people walk around wearing side arms. Volcanoes are erutping, Giant moose stand in the highway. I wouldn't be worried about hot tub liability insurance. LOL
thumbs_up.gif
Right on !

Mooseberry Inn said:
OK, I am going to purchase a Hot Tub this summer. Since we are in Alaska it is a good investment.
I like to ask for some do's and dont's , hints, tips, ticks on cleaning, etc...
Inside or out?
Any input will be greately appreciated.
We have a soft-tub hot tub, the kind with soft sides instead of molded seats. Many guests enjoy it; for some it is definitely a sought-after amenity and one of the reasons they choose a place.
Ours is outside so people can enjoy the view during the day or the stars at night, but of course then it can't be used during inclement weather.
We used to run it all year, but now we close it down during the winter. People loved the idea of soaking in hot water while they're surrounded by snow and sub-freezing temps, but in reality very few people used it in the winter. They don't want to do the run across a snowy deck afterwards to get back to their warm rooms.
If you have a glassed-in sunroom (green-house style with roof) that would be a good location to allow for both viewing and poor weather.
Also consider how loud the motor is when choosing a style and location. Our motor cycles on and off around the clock to maintain the heat. You don't want something that will annoy the guests at night..
We are still debating about indoors or out. Mayb we enclose it but have huge doors to open if we like to.

Our Inn came with a 70s vintage hot tub that I am learning how to maintain. I would suggest buy top quality. Get the UV silver purification set-up to vastly reduce the chemicals and maintenance. Also get a control panel that only gives guests the ability to start the jets and bubbles. I have to go out and reset the temp and mode on mine almost every time someone uses it because they just start banging away on all the buttons. I'm looking for some kind of limited control panel......
I have not thought of this. Thanks .

Year 1 and 2 I had call after call after call asking if we had a hot tub. That was when we considered doing it, but now we don't get any calls for it. Was it just a fad?.
Maybe they just all found out you didn't have one so they stopped asking! LOL
teeth_smile.gif

That could be. 70% of my customers would use it if I had one. a few people heard that we would get one this year and they said they will stay with us next winter.
When I go to a place with a hot tub I use it but am very dissappointed when they advertise and then it is closed.

Mooseberry Inn said:
OK, I am going to purchase a Hot Tub this summer. Since we are in Alaska it is a good investment.
I like to ask for some do's and dont's , hints, tips, ticks on cleaning, etc...
Inside or out?
Any input will be greately appreciated.
We have a soft-tub hot tub, the kind with soft sides instead of molded seats. Many guests enjoy it; for some it is definitely a sought-after amenity and one of the reasons they choose a place.
Ours is outside so people can enjoy the view during the day or the stars at night, but of course then it can't be used during inclement weather.
We used to run it all year, but now we close it down during the winter. People loved the idea of soaking in hot water while they're surrounded by snow and sub-freezing temps, but in reality very few people used it in the winter. They don't want to do the run across a snowy deck afterwards to get back to their warm rooms.
If you have a glassed-in sunroom (green-house style with roof) that would be a good location to allow for both viewing and poor weather.
Also consider how loud the motor is when choosing a style and location. Our motor cycles on and off around the clock to maintain the heat. You don't want something that will annoy the guests at night..
We are still debating about indoors or out. Mayb we enclose it but have huge doors to open if we like to.
Mooseberry Inn said:
I think that's a good plan. Ours is outdoors and about a 25' walk to get there. If the wind is blowing it's not a particularly pleasant experience - the walk or the soak. If it's calm it's all good but that's rare in our location.

We have a 6 person tub outside and it was here when we bought the Inn, we had to replace the digital on off thingie, don't really know what its called, but that alone cost us $600 just for the part and husband put it back in. Then we had a thunderstorm at it fried the controls once again so we had to fight with the company that sent us the original and had to wait a while to get it back.
Its a wonderful addition and because it is outside and pretty private we do get alot of use out of it. But its first come first serve--plus we get into to it all the time. We found that plain baking soda works wonders for the PH of the tub. Since it is outside and eventhough it is covered there is still leaves and stuff that does get into the tub, most guests understand that and don't complain much.

Back