Hotel imperfections or irritations - the top 10 list

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I was going to start a poll on this but it would be too long, so go ahead and share your irritations or imperfections found at a hotel stay. This is in reference ot the NY Times article where more than 22,000 people surveyedlisted their top complaints
If you can list them 1-10 to make it easier to read (giant paragraphs are not read, sorry to tell you).

1) Doors slamming in hotel corridors (all hours).
2) TV's blaring in neighboring rooms
3) Adjoining doors (hearing every conversation in the next room)
4) long stinky hallways, people talking and voices carrying down hallways
5) Hotel staff working in the wee or late hours, ie vacuuming outside your door at 6am, or pounding in another room late at night
6) Hard beds
7) Bedspreads
8 ) Dirty bathrooms or old bathrooms that look dirty
9) Shower curtains that cling
10) HEAT LAMP connected to the ceiling fan, and/or ceiling fan connected to the bathroom light - since the bathrooms NEVER have a window or natural light you are forced to turn it on and wake the room up.

5) Hotel staff working in the wee or late hours, ie vacuuming outside your door at 6am, or pounding in another room late at night
6) Hard beds
7) Bedspreads
10) HEAT LAMP connected to the ceiling fan, and/or ceiling fan connected to the bathroom light - since the bathrooms NEVER have a window or natural light you are forced to turn it on and wake the room up..
Joey Bloggs said:
10) ...ceiling fan connected to the bathroom light - since the bathrooms NEVER have a window or natural light you are forced to turn it on and wake the room up.
I hate them too, but it's a code requirement here, at commercial establishments, that a vent fan come on with the bathroom light. At least at my place they're on a timer and the fan goes off after a while. And the bathrooms all have skylights.

6) Hard beds
7) Bedspreads
10) HEAT LAMP connected to the ceiling fan, and/or ceiling fan connected to the bathroom light - since the bathrooms NEVER have a window or natural light you are forced to turn it on and wake the room up..
Joey Bloggs said:
10) ...ceiling fan connected to the bathroom light - since the bathrooms NEVER have a window or natural light you are forced to turn it on and wake the room up.
I hate them too, but it's a code requirement here, at commercial establishments, that a vent fan come on with the bathroom light. At least at my place they're on a timer and the fan goes off after a while. And the bathrooms all have skylights.
We bought humidity controlled with low noise. The guests can hardly hear it at all.

Your #10
And the INSIDE door knob coming off the door so we could NOT get out and the "so what" attitude at the desk about it. In an emergency, we would have been toast.
Telling the desk our keys did not work and being told to keep them away from our cell phones. On the last day they came up and replaced the lock - they finally admitted it was faulty.
Both places made it the guest's problem, not the hotel
Hotels touting a bed & breakfast experience or package
Car doors slamming and diesel engines running at all hours
Crappy pillows

6) Hard beds
7) Bedspreads
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
We put frosted glass windows in the bath/shower stall. They are set high enough that you can actually open them while you're showering and still retain your privacy. The tile window sill also makes a good shelf for setting soaps and shampoo. We also have a heater/vent in the ceiling that is separate from the lights. We have lights over the sink and mirror and a recessed light in the bath/shower stall.

1. Extra Fees...i.e. Resort fees & mandatory parking/valet fees. Just tell me the price of the room and I'll make a decision to stay or not. Stop adding on fees.
2. Rooms that aren't clean. High end or low end, they should all be clean!
3, Kids/people talking & running loud down the hall all times of the day and night
4. Noisy water pipes waking me up.
5. Air Conditioners not adequate
6. bed spreads...if it's a spread and not a clean duvet, I take it off immediately
7. Hard old/squeeky beds
8. 2 sets of towels. I want more.
9. Putting out the do not disturb sign and still getting disturbed by housekeeping or front desk calling to ask if I want service.
10. Free breakfast that ends at 8:00 on weekdays
10 1/2. Airport shuttles that are not available 24 hours.

Not sure I have 10, but here goes:
  1. Fees, surcharges, add ons for things I can't even FIND at the hotel
  2. Noisy kids running the halls and squalling at breakfast
  3. Ill-fitting doors that let light in all night long, doors that don't lock properly
  4. No one at the front desk
  5. Roaches
  6. Cigarette smell
  7. Febreeze smell to cover cigarette smell
  8. Getting the room over the bar

1. Extra Fees...i.e. Resort fees & mandatory parking/valet fees. Just tell me the price of the room and I'll make a decision to stay or not. Stop adding on fees.
3, Kids/people talking & running loud down the hall all times of the day and night
6. bed spreads...if it's a spread and not a clean duvet, I take it off immediately
7. Hard old/squeeky beds
9. Putting out the do not disturb sign and still getting disturbed by housekeeping or front desk calling to ask if I want service.
10 1/2. Airport shuttles that are not available 24 hours..
the worst one of - housekeeping disturbing us was a place in bedford. Its about half way back from some friends we were visiting and we decided to stop over. In the morning while we were actually sleeping (ie very rare lie in) the chamber maid knocked and then was right into the room ie no wait and this was at 8am in the morning where there is a fair chance we were still in bed! I was furious and it was one of the few times I actually complained on check out.

1. Slamming doors or running & loud kids in the corridors
  2. Ice machine on a different floor
  3. Noisy air conditioner/heater
  4. Bedspreads
  5. Extra charge for WiFi in the room
  6. Dirty or improperly cleaned anything
  7. Super expensive cocktails in the hotel lounge
  8. Housekeeping ignoring the "Do Not Disturb" sign
  9. Getting the horrible "view" of the dumpsters or shipping/receiving entrance
  10. Windows that don't open

1. Anything not properly cleaned
  2. staff with attitude or just not doing their job
  3. noisy neighbours
  4. complete rip-off mini bars
  5. charging for wifi or promises of wifi that doesn't work
  6. cheap/thin duvets or pillows, not enough pillows
  7. kids running up and down the corridors shouting
  8. parking charges
  9. smell of smoking in the room
  10. people who think because they're paying to stay in an expensive hotel they can treat the staff like crap

1. Unclean or not cleaned properly - anything
2. Bad beds - too hard, too soft, old with springs, squeaking
3. Pillows to small, not enough
4. Doors not properly fitted - gaps that let in bugs, light and noise
5. Unknown Extra charges - from a safe fee to Wifi
6. Stocked fridge with a list of the cost of each item and NO room for MY stuff
7. Paper thin, sandpaper hard towels

7. Paper thin, sandpaper hard towels.
TINY towels!

7. Paper thin, sandpaper hard towels.
copperhead said:
Your stuff? I stayed at a hotel in Las Vegas with a notice on the mini-bar: $25 charge to store your personal stuff in OUR minibar.
It was the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in, but I'll NEVER stay there again due to the above notice, and the one that said, "$4 charge for each cup of coffee you make".
Not just anoying and petty, it's maddening!

7. Hard old/squeeky beds
Breakfast Diva said:
How many sets do you put out?
We only put out one set, especially for one-nighters. If guests are staying more than one night, we freshen towels as needed when we fluff the room. We suggest that to "help us to stay green" that guests reuse their towels and to indicate that they wish to do so by hanging them up. Most do. Some request fresh towels, which is not a biggy.

7. Hard old/squeeky beds
Breakfast Diva said:
We only put out one set, especially for one-nighters. If guests are staying more than one night, we freshen towels as needed when we fluff the room. We suggest that to "help us to stay green" that guests reuse their towels and to indicate that they wish to do so by hanging them up. Most do. Some request fresh towels, which is not a biggy.
I put out 2 sets per guest plus have extras on the shelf in the pass-through from the room to the bathroom. Only one couple has ever abused this - and that was for spite because I was charging them for 1 night of a 3-night that they were cancelling on arrival.

7. Hard old/squeeky beds
Breakfast Diva said:
We have one set per person in rooms with one bed. In rooms with two beds, we put out 3 sets. It's rare that the 3rd set is used when it's two guests, but it happens.
Most women with long hair want an extra bath towel to wrap their hair in while they dress.

7. Hard old/squeeky beds
Breakfast Diva said:
We have one set per person in rooms with one bed. In rooms with two beds, we put out 3 sets. It's rare that the 3rd set is used when it's two guests, but it happens.
Most women with long hair want an extra bath towel to wrap their hair in while they dress.
Madeleine said:
Not just with long hair. I want one, too. We had three bath towels in the rooms, always. When we upgraded to bath sheets, there are now 2 bath sheets, two bath towels, two hand towels and two washcloths. I hate drying my hair with a hand towel.

Back