Hotel room development surges

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, we're getting another 50 room hotel. There are so many people waiting in line to get into the hotels that are already here...not.

Yeah, we're getting another 50 room hotel. There are so many people waiting in line to get into the hotels that are already here...not..
I have no idea how many rooms will be in the new H/I beging built near the other 2 new hotels at the exit my guests com in from. I do not want to know. It will just depress DH more than it already has. I just have to fixate on people who stay at B & Bs do so because they do not LIKE impersonal hotels.
BTW - there are now B & Bs in 7 States participating in the Thank You Veterans project.

It's a great trend to see ANY kind of development right now...remember we do NOT compete with hotels.

It's a great trend to see ANY kind of development right now...remember we do NOT compete with hotels..
Rupert said:
It's a great trend to see ANY kind of development right now...remember we do NOT compete with hotels.
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
You don't...none of you do...but you continue to think you do which is why there is so much banging of the heads on the walls going on!
Chicken Little was so convinced the sky was falling that guess what...IT FELL!

It's a great trend to see ANY kind of development right now...remember we do NOT compete with hotels..
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
You don't...none of you do...but you continue to think you do which is why there is so much banging of the heads on the walls going on!
When the HGI opened here our occ went down 15% the first year. That is a big drop. No, we don't 'compete' per se, but those guests who previously did not have the hotel option HAD to stay at a B&B. Now they CHOOSE to stay where there is a pool and a restaurant. And they will pay the HGI $300/night and fight with me to pay half because they think this is 2nd rate compared to the HGI.
It does matter.

Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
This is simply untrue - of all the events we have that happen in this county, like the multimillion dollar economy jackpot called Bassmasters "Blue Ridge Brawl" Tournie - we do not, and have not ever had one booking for this. We have signed up to be on the promotion. So I guess in that you are correct, there is no competition as we do not exist for this sort of event that draws in thousands on people.
Please do not say I am chicken little, as it is this B&B barely makes ends meet for us. So please don't throw salt on the wound.

Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
This is simply untrue - of all the events we have that happen in this county, like the multimillion dollar economy jackpot called Bassmasters "Blue Ridge Brawl" Tournie - we do not, and have not ever had one booking for this. We have signed up to be on the promotion. So I guess in that you are correct, there is no competition as we do not exist for this sort of event that draws in thousands on people.
Please do not say I am chicken little, as it is this B&B barely makes ends meet for us. So please don't throw salt on the wound.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey,
Absolutely NOT calling you "Chicken Little", simply making an analogy. And you certainly don't need to tell me about making ends meet. But I am not sitting here counting new hotel rooms in our area and meditating on how that's going to do me in. I'm seeing new development as a sign of a recovering economy, and a renewed interest in travel. Those are great things.
If any b&b is relying on simply getting guests by being the only choice available then that wasn't a great marketing strategy to begin with. I just wish everyone would take an assessment of THEIR property's strengths...obviously you thought there was something unique and special about your property that made you fall in love with it...THAT is what you need to sell your guests. It's frustrating to see so many people spinning their wheels and chasing the next "trend". It's such a waste of time.
That was my only point. If we sit here and concentrate on how the big bad hotels will be the end of us, then they will be the end of us. I'll be focusing my energies on what I can control.

I am sorry Rupes. Didn't mean to get snippy too. I am ALL FOR SOLUTIONS. I really do want to hear them. I know you are speaking of the naysaying that always goes on whenever there is a suggestion that might actually be helpful for one or more of the innkeepers on this forum.
I would LOVE for everyone to share ideas here and maybe we can glean from them! Blog ideas, marketing ideas, operations ideas.
I just post the HOTEL STATS as that is all we have to go by and there are some "trends" we can observe. :) Sorry, again. You know I appreciate your comments and feedback.

I only post hotel stats as that is what is out there, I am not comparing any B&B to a hotel, at all, but we can watch the trends and see some tidbits that might help us. That is all. I get those from a hospitality network email.
confused_smile.gif

I only post hotel stats as that is what is out there, I am not comparing any B&B to a hotel, at all, but we can watch the trends and see some tidbits that might help us. That is all. I get those from a hospitality network email.
confused_smile.gif
It is wonderful that you post these. It helps keep us current about what is happening beyond our front stoop. And we really do need to know what the trends are so we will know what is going to apply to us and what will not.
I very much appreciate the time you take to post these. Although I recognize the existence of all the hotels - and yes, it HAS hurt me as an option when the rooms in univer city were booked and I was only 45 minutes down the road AND because I am 6+ miles in from the highway....- that have been built along the Interstate, I continue to believe that if I keep telling people we are here, they WILL come. As long as I offer them something they cannot GET in the hotels - really fresh coffee, a great breakfast, personal attention, etc, there will be people booking here. DH cannot see beyond the slow season's empty ledger. I think I will have to tell him it is like being a CUB fan, wait until next year. That analogy just came to me!! THAT os something HE will understand!

Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey,
Absolutely NOT calling you "Chicken Little", simply making an analogy. And you certainly don't need to tell me about making ends meet. But I am not sitting here counting new hotel rooms in our area and meditating on how that's going to do me in. I'm seeing new development as a sign of a recovering economy, and a renewed interest in travel. Those are great things.
If any b&b is relying on simply getting guests by being the only choice available then that wasn't a great marketing strategy to begin with. I just wish everyone would take an assessment of THEIR property's strengths...obviously you thought there was something unique and special about your property that made you fall in love with it...THAT is what you need to sell your guests. It's frustrating to see so many people spinning their wheels and chasing the next "trend". It's such a waste of time.
That was my only point. If we sit here and concentrate on how the big bad hotels will be the end of us, then they will be the end of us. I'll be focusing my energies on what I can control.
Well put and that is absolutely the problem we face. We bought in a 'captive audience' market and we are having trouble competing now that there are options. Good thing for everyone to be aware of.
This is not to say we've been sitting still. We organized with other properties to bring in more events, to market ourselves separate and distinct from other lodging options in town, etc. And about 95% of those event guests went to the hotels. But the B&B's got 5% of that market. So it was good.
Obviously, some bean counter somewhere thinks THEIR particular hotel brand will be able to drag enough guests out of the surrounding properties to be viable. They are not, however, offering to bring in MORE guests, just poach the ones that are here.
What it does create is a bigger venue for big events. Weddings. Conventions. Things of that nature. And from those events we get overflow or guests who can't afford the rates. There are certain areas where B&B's are it. No other lodging options other than motels. In those areas (here in this area) B&B's do very well. However, where there is a choice? Big name chains have won every time. (Here.)
In 5 years I have yet to see a chain close. But 5 B&B's did close. All over the price and amenities spectrum. Places that guests still talk about when they stay here. 'Do you know what happened to such and such? We loved that place.'
It's not Chicken Little when you've lived thru it.

The top hotel in our city also has a mineral spa and people come from all over the stay there and enjoy the benefits of the mineral spa for their aching arthritis pain.
This hotel was so greedy that they actually paid google so they could be a sponsored link for the name of our bed and breakfast. Therefore, for about a year, everytime a person googled our bed and breakfast, their site would be the first to come up.
They not only wanted to be successful with their fancy hotel but they wanted our business as well. I guess I could have done it back to them.
My son called the management in Montreal to have them remove their sponsored link. They in fact said they were doing nothing wrong but agreed to remove it which they did.
Hotels hate bed and breakfasts.

The top hotel in our city also has a mineral spa and people come from all over the stay there and enjoy the benefits of the mineral spa for their aching arthritis pain.
This hotel was so greedy that they actually paid google so they could be a sponsored link for the name of our bed and breakfast. Therefore, for about a year, everytime a person googled our bed and breakfast, their site would be the first to come up.
They not only wanted to be successful with their fancy hotel but they wanted our business as well. I guess I could have done it back to them.
My son called the management in Montreal to have them remove their sponsored link. They in fact said they were doing nothing wrong but agreed to remove it which they did.
Hotels hate bed and breakfasts..
Google actually suggests that properties do what happened to you. It's in their AdWords info.

Hotels hate bed and breakfasts..
Just as a matter of fact each and every time you search for B&B's in our state you get Google ads nearby our state. "IT" happens.

Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey,
Rupert said:
.... I just wish everyone would take an assessment of THEIR property's strengths...obviously you thought there was something unique and special about your property that made you fall in love with it...THAT is what you need to sell your guests. It's frustrating to see so many people spinning their wheels and chasing the next "trend". It's such a waste of time.
Very nicely put and I have placed that in my hat for further thinking on this issue. It is hard though, when you do see all these buidings going up - we have 3 in different stages of completion with another 2-3 in pre-ground breaking status. One of the ones in final stage of building is at my exit. In the last 2 years 3 others were built, making the current finished total to be 9. As the only B&B in the area I came to the realization some time back that I do not fit in that same mold.
I have always had a problem with 'talking my property up' but that is just what we need to do. Yell it from the roof top what makes you place special. Those that are looking for 4 walls and a bed can (and will) choose a hotel... I can not change them.

Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey,
Rupert said:
But I am not sitting here counting new hotel rooms in our area and meditating on how that's going to do me in. I'm seeing new development as a sign of a recovering economy, and a renewed interest in travel. Those are great things.
Rupert, I agree with your point that folks should concentrate on their own inn's strengths and not spin their wheels chasing trends. Absolutely agree with that.
However, the fact that new hotels are being developed is not a good trend and it will without any doubt negatively impact everyone in the hospitality business.
The new hotel rooms in the pipeline are actually down over 35% from 2009 because projects that could be stopped were stopped. New hotels opening have been in the works for years so folks are going through with them come hell or high water. They'll open in markets that have never been tougher so they'll give away the store from the get-go.
That is not a good sign at all.
Can you control it? No. But should innkeepers plan their marketing and map out a strategy to deal with that? Absolutely.
Any who don't are only fooling themselves.

It seems to me that the "resort" trend is here as well. The rafting companies that where here when we opened five years ago where around 6-8 individual companies that offered from rafting to fishing. Well they all decided to get all together and pool all their revenues together to build more cabins, more restaurants, more attractions and more bars...did it hurt us...YES it hurt us immensly and until they become less "customer" oriented as they will because they look for the $$$$ and accept any and all guests they will eventually loose the guests that don't get the personal attention that they want. Thats where the B & B comes in, but can we survive until then?
Don't know, but these conglamorate companies take the little ones out much like the "walmart" stores do. Do we compete with them, you bet we do because they offer everything a guest could want in one place so they don't have to leave their property and spend all their $$ there and if the small business don't take up arms, they will win and the mom and pops will desapear...we hope not, we pray not, but so many B & B's compete with eachother here that we don't communicate with eachother and stand together to bring people to our places...each one of us are different in different places...why dont we use all this knowledge we have together?
Its hard to be a B & B when there are resorts around the corner, its a trend that will also work itself out--eventually.

Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Rupert said:
Some of us do.
Joey,
Not being a naysayer either, but if there are only a finite number of people that will be traveling to an area and there is an increase in large, name brand identified hotels in that same area (like ITG said have been in the plans for years), the small B&B may lose out in the end. We can do all we can to try and coax folks to our niche but it may not be enough.
Our C&VBs (or chambers, tourism promotion) need to promote our areas more and be supportive to all the lodging options available. Many times that is not the case....they push hotels.

Back