Hotel room development surges

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that the "resort" trend is here as well. The rafting companies that where here when we opened five years ago where around 6-8 individual companies that offered from rafting to fishing. Well they all decided to get all together and pool all their revenues together to build more cabins, more restaurants, more attractions and more bars...did it hurt us...YES it hurt us immensly and until they become less "customer" oriented as they will because they look for the $$$$ and accept any and all guests they will eventually loose the guests that don't get the personal attention that they want. Thats where the B & B comes in, but can we survive until then?
Don't know, but these conglamorate companies take the little ones out much like the "walmart" stores do. Do we compete with them, you bet we do because they offer everything a guest could want in one place so they don't have to leave their property and spend all their $$ there and if the small business don't take up arms, they will win and the mom and pops will desapear...we hope not, we pray not, but so many B & B's compete with eachother here that we don't communicate with eachother and stand together to bring people to our places...each one of us are different in different places...why dont we use all this knowledge we have together?
Its hard to be a B & B when there are resorts around the corner, its a trend that will also work itself out--eventually..
I agree with your comments. I am not up and running by a long shot, but have been thinking it might be an idea to try to team with several inns to try offer a "sampler" package. Stay at our unique historic setting first, then off to nearby forest inn, then on to the lovely place near the whatever kind of thing. It might work to pull people out of the "stale" resort experience by being in the area and getting a "fuller" experience? Booking a few days is better than none, and might introduce a new customer base to all of the inns? Just crazy newbie thought.

It seems to me that the "resort" trend is here as well. The rafting companies that where here when we opened five years ago where around 6-8 individual companies that offered from rafting to fishing. Well they all decided to get all together and pool all their revenues together to build more cabins, more restaurants, more attractions and more bars...did it hurt us...YES it hurt us immensly and until they become less "customer" oriented as they will because they look for the $$$$ and accept any and all guests they will eventually loose the guests that don't get the personal attention that they want. Thats where the B & B comes in, but can we survive until then?
Don't know, but these conglamorate companies take the little ones out much like the "walmart" stores do. Do we compete with them, you bet we do because they offer everything a guest could want in one place so they don't have to leave their property and spend all their $$ there and if the small business don't take up arms, they will win and the mom and pops will desapear...we hope not, we pray not, but so many B & B's compete with eachother here that we don't communicate with eachother and stand together to bring people to our places...each one of us are different in different places...why dont we use all this knowledge we have together?
Its hard to be a B & B when there are resorts around the corner, its a trend that will also work itself out--eventually..
I agree with your comments. I am not up and running by a long shot, but have been thinking it might be an idea to try to team with several inns to try offer a "sampler" package. Stay at our unique historic setting first, then off to nearby forest inn, then on to the lovely place near the whatever kind of thing. It might work to pull people out of the "stale" resort experience by being in the area and getting a "fuller" experience? Booking a few days is better than none, and might introduce a new customer base to all of the inns? Just crazy newbie thought.
Not a crazy idea at all - actually it is an excellent idea. A couple years after I opened I started an inn-to-inn with a B & B 10 miles north using the rail-trail as a connector. and it boosted BOTH businesses a LOT - both occupancy and revenue-wise.
One thing learned - I base the rates with my packages on who has the highest rate plus whatever add-ons we are doing. Then the total is divided equally and EVERYONE does the same thing - if packed lunch everyone packs a lunch; if dinner is in package, everyone does dinner. My rate is usually the highest and that means my partners clear more than I do. Do I care? NO, I am getting what I need and the inn-to-inn gets people who like the idea of sampling 2 inns. Yes, they are one-nighters but it brings them here and sometimes they are not like me and do return to the same place more than once.

Yeah, we're getting another 50 room hotel. There are so many people waiting in line to get into the hotels that are already here...not..
I have no idea how many rooms will be in the new H/I beging built near the other 2 new hotels at the exit my guests com in from. I do not want to know. It will just depress DH more than it already has. I just have to fixate on people who stay at B & Bs do so because they do not LIKE impersonal hotels.
BTW - there are now B & Bs in 7 States participating in the Thank You Veterans project.
gillumhouse said:
there are now B & Bs in 7 States participating in the Thank You Veterans project.
That is wonderful, K! Congratulations on another great idea!

Back