Hotel value vs B&B Value

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you would like to add a one liner (either item or sentence) to compile this bulleted list it will help us to post this somewhere...blog or website or article somewhere.
ie added value at a B&B you typically do not have a hotel. (In general, all hotels and all B&B's are different)
Example:
  • Free WiFi

Free individualized concierge by a real local to ensure you get the most value while visiting our area
Free cocktails and wine every afternoon during your stay
Free hot chocolate and an extensive selection of organic teas, available anytime
Free use of all of our fabulous facilities
Free parking
Free freshly baked cookies
Free fruit, snacks
Free smiles from an innkeeper who really cares that your getaway becomes the stuff of dreams.

• Individually decorated rooms (I don't shop at 'Hotels R Us')
  • Non-standardized experience (I don't have a playbook I am required to follow, you get a real character who is 'allowed' to be real.)
  • You can talk to the cook while he's making your breakfast. You can argue the relative merits of Ford vs Chevy and he won't fling a spatula at you. (If he does, he usually misses.)
  • You're a real person to us, not a 'room number'.
  • The owners are on hand 24x7, we're not in a corporate office crunching numbers.
  • We don't 'go home' at night, we're here when you need us and we'll be here when you return next year.
  • If your toilet is overflowing or your shower won't turn off or anything is wrong, the owner will handle it, you won't have to wait for 'maintenance' to come on duty.

Difficult to answer, particularly due to your example. In the past few weeks, we have been travelling quite a bit, partly to look at some areas and potential properties. We have stayed at 3 different times at Hampton Inn and I was amazed at how they have rejuvenated their properties. It actually concerns me because I'm an aspiring and so I'm always on the lookout for where the value is on both sides. I'll see if I can use the bullet points so this doesn't go on for too long and bore everyone.
  • Somewhat standardized prices, hovering around $109 before tax
  • Somewhat standardized room decor, including boutique all-white comforters, rich tone modern style wood furnishings, granite bath countertops, convex shower curtains, clean neutral tone tile, plenty of mirrors, large flat screen TVs, very serviceable desks, closets, ironing board, iron, luggage rack
  • Free and easy to access WiFi
  • Lapdesk in every room
  • Premium TV channels
  • Large sitting areas with couch, coffee table, end tables
  • Individual temperature controls
  • Mini fridge
  • Some rooms with wet bar area, including sink, paper towel dispenser, plastic cutlery, microwave, coffee setups, and a package of microwave popcorn
  • Coffee, tea, hot chocolate available 24/7
  • Daily fresh baked cookies in some locations
  • Hot breakfast (okay, not the best; definitely processed to be prepared in a convection oven, but the guys I saw were lovin it, particularly the belgian waffles)
All of this does concern me because at this point in time, the price is right, location is convenient, standardization provides the comfort of knowing what to expect, etc., etc.
What I'm saying is, even if I'm more interested in the "stay' part of my travelling rather than just needing a place to rest my head as I go from point A to point B, the "stay" part at these properties is now pretty pleasant. So, do B&B's need to do something different to compete or do you all think that B&B's are still unique experiences that can pretty much continue on the same path they're on?

• Non-standardized experience (I don't have a playbook I am required to follow, you get a real character who is 'allowed' to be real.)
  • You can talk to the cook while he's making your breakfast. You can argue the relative merits of Ford vs Chevy and he won't fling a spatula at you. (If he does, he usually misses.)
  • The owners are on hand 24x7, we're not in a corporate office crunching numbers.
  • We don't 'go home' at night, we're here when you need us and we'll be here when you return next year.
  • If your toilet is overflowing or your shower won't turn off or anything is wrong, the owner will handle it, you won't have to wait for 'maintenance' to come on duty.
Morticia said:
I especially like that one!

Different than a hotel ? We offer
sparkling wine in your room
Port and chocolate turndown
cheese and wine at check in
heated tiled flooring in bath
fresh flowers in room
games, movies for dvd player in room
Bose cd / radio
fluffy robes
iron and ironing board
RIki
spa showers with jets and radio
whirlpool tub

Difficult to answer, particularly due to your example. In the past few weeks, we have been travelling quite a bit, partly to look at some areas and potential properties. We have stayed at 3 different times at Hampton Inn and I was amazed at how they have rejuvenated their properties. It actually concerns me because I'm an aspiring and so I'm always on the lookout for where the value is on both sides. I'll see if I can use the bullet points so this doesn't go on for too long and bore everyone.
  • Somewhat standardized room decor, including boutique all-white comforters, rich tone modern style wood furnishings, granite bath countertops, convex shower curtains, clean neutral tone tile, plenty of mirrors, large flat screen TVs, very serviceable desks, closets, ironing board, iron, luggage rack
  • Lapdesk in every room
  • Premium TV channels
  • Mini fridge
  • Some rooms with wet bar area, including sink, paper towel dispenser, plastic cutlery, microwave, coffee setups, and a package of microwave popcorn
  • Hot breakfast (okay, not the best; definitely processed to be prepared in a convection oven, but the guys I saw were lovin it, particularly the belgian waffles)
All of this does concern me because at this point in time, the price is right, location is convenient, standardization provides the comfort of knowing what to expect, etc., etc.
What I'm saying is, even if I'm more interested in the "stay' part of my travelling rather than just needing a place to rest my head as I go from point A to point B, the "stay" part at these properties is now pretty pleasant. So, do B&B's need to do something different to compete or do you all think that B&B's are still unique experiences that can pretty much continue on the same path they're on?.
Good points Second Act. They are upping the ante at chain hotels for the most part.
I concur on many of them after searching for a B&B on line for a December stay. This is when the standardization makes sense. Hot breakfast is not standard though, continental is currently or "expanded" continental as they call it.
I would agree with what makes a B&B a unique stay can also hinder it in the impression of many guests. You have the benefit of being on a forum where the innkeepers imo are above par, which is why they're here. They are always trying to improve and make things better for their guests.
Someone on the other thread mentioned late check ins, maybe this is something that needs to be announced that a self check in is allowable (at your property) if it is, to draw more guests that way who think the 5 or 6 pm shut off won't allow entry?
To your orig comment - how did the properties you looked at compare to your list?

• Lapdesk in every room
  • Premium TV channels
  • Mini fridge
What I'm saying is, even if I'm more interested in the "stay' part of my travelling rather than just needing a place to rest my head as I go from point A to point B, the "stay" part at these properties is now pretty pleasant. So, do B&B's need to do something different to compete or do you all think that B&B's are still unique experiences that can pretty much continue on the same path they're on?.
2ndAct - why are you staying at Hamptons if you are "looking at potential areas and properties"? Don't you know that the best way to find a great B&B to buy is to actually stay at it as a guest!? What area of the country are you looking in? I know of a few gems for sale if you are interested!

Stayed at a Georgian style 5-room inn that had gorgeous architecture and decor in the downstairs, but in the rooms there were problems. Well, we were guests, so for us it doesn't count, but Innsiderinfo has suggested that an innkeeper view their rooms from a guest's point of view to really see it through the guest's eyes. So, this turned up ...
  • Red/brown stain on the bed's dust ruffle noticed while sitting in a side chair to put on my shoes :)
  • No individual room temperature control and it was very warm in the room, so had to sleep with the window open about 4 inches
  • Original bath tile had been tiled over, but an opening around the heater was left, in which no one had apparently vacuumed and so there were pieces of broken tile and dust bunnies in there (hard to explain, but if you were sitting on the commode, you'd be looking right into this opening at the base of the wall under the heater)
  • Previous guest's hair on the bathroom floor
  • Only one bath towel on the towel rod, off to the right, so obviously missing another towel
  • Bath amenities basket not replenished. Two conditioners, no shampoo, and one of the conditioners was definitely used
  • Sodas, juices, yogurts in guest fridge, but no coasters to put down on the wood furnishings for protection. One side table obviously stained from previous guests putting drinks on table
  • Robes in closet - 2 in plastic "dry cleaner" wrap, 2 hanging unwrapped but appearing not to have been used; however, both had tears (I don't mean small, these were minimum 2-inch tears) at the edges of the pockets
  • Continental breakfast only and not available until 7:30 a.m., no choices
Now, this is probably not a fair comparison, because I agree with JB that the innkeepers on this forum are professionals and I would never expect to find any of these things at their inns, but the price range per night was $149, bed was a queen, which is nice, but hubby is big and queen is a bit uncomfortable for us. As prices go, $149 is not bad, but to find the inattention to detail is disappointing, especially when the property itself has alot going for it (fyi, this one was not for sale, not necessarily our style either, but I think we would be open to something like this).
We travelled through Virginia on this trip and touched on Staunton, White Sulphur Springs, Charlottesville (again), Richmond, Williamsburg area, along the Eastern shore, and up through Maryland, and we are both stuck on Charlottesville. It is gorgeous and, to us, has the best of both worlds, history and sophistocation, beauty in the geography and availability of services. Because it has those things, the prices are steep, but we'll continue to look and hope that we eventually come upon the property that was meant to be ours.

Stayed at a Georgian style 5-room inn that had gorgeous architecture and decor in the downstairs, but in the rooms there were problems. Well, we were guests, so for us it doesn't count, but Innsiderinfo has suggested that an innkeeper view their rooms from a guest's point of view to really see it through the guest's eyes. So, this turned up ...
  • Red/brown stain on the bed's dust ruffle noticed while sitting in a side chair to put on my shoes :)
  • No individual room temperature control and it was very warm in the room, so had to sleep with the window open about 4 inches
  • Original bath tile had been tiled over, but an opening around the heater was left, in which no one had apparently vacuumed and so there were pieces of broken tile and dust bunnies in there (hard to explain, but if you were sitting on the commode, you'd be looking right into this opening at the base of the wall under the heater)
  • Previous guest's hair on the bathroom floor
  • Only one bath towel on the towel rod, off to the right, so obviously missing another towel
  • Bath amenities basket not replenished. Two conditioners, no shampoo, and one of the conditioners was definitely used
  • Sodas, juices, yogurts in guest fridge, but no coasters to put down on the wood furnishings for protection. One side table obviously stained from previous guests putting drinks on table
  • Robes in closet - 2 in plastic "dry cleaner" wrap, 2 hanging unwrapped but appearing not to have been used; however, both had tears (I don't mean small, these were minimum 2-inch tears) at the edges of the pockets
  • Continental breakfast only and not available until 7:30 a.m., no choices
Now, this is probably not a fair comparison, because I agree with JB that the innkeepers on this forum are professionals and I would never expect to find any of these things at their inns, but the price range per night was $149, bed was a queen, which is nice, but hubby is big and queen is a bit uncomfortable for us. As prices go, $149 is not bad, but to find the inattention to detail is disappointing, especially when the property itself has alot going for it (fyi, this one was not for sale, not necessarily our style either, but I think we would be open to something like this).
We travelled through Virginia on this trip and touched on Staunton, White Sulphur Springs, Charlottesville (again), Richmond, Williamsburg area, along the Eastern shore, and up through Maryland, and we are both stuck on Charlottesville. It is gorgeous and, to us, has the best of both worlds, history and sophistocation, beauty in the geography and availability of services. Because it has those things, the prices are steep, but we'll continue to look and hope that we eventually come upon the property that was meant to be ours..
SecondAct said:
  • and we are both stuck on Charlottesville. It is gorgeous and, to us, has the best of both worlds, history and sophistocation, beauty in the geography and availability of services. Because it has those things, the prices are steep, but we'll continue to look and hope that we eventually come upon the property that was meant to be ours.
Let us know the next time you are in C'ville so you can stop by! And let us know if you are considering any properties here. We would be happy to let you know our feelings about the location. The closer to town, of course, the better.
Riki

HHMMM...we are a niche that people choose. I think being something that people can see and choose is important.

This maintenance person just cleared a bunch of hair out of a bathtub drain today after I discovered it was draining slowly when I cleaned it. Good grief! Where does it all come from...we clean those drains regularly! Hopefully, the guests noticed that they didn't even have to call "maintenance". :)
I think what innkeepers do really well is anticipate people's needs. Not sure how to put that in a bullet...

Back