Hotel vs B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I haven't really engaged myself with all the surely great conversations and advice as I would like, but when I get a handle on things and can come up for air, I look forward to browsing the forums. I am pretty new to the B&B world and spend much time trying to understand and learn the business. So I have a couple questions and any advise would be greatly appreciated. First - I know that hotels usually preauthorize a credit card but don't actually charge a credit card until day of check-out. Our establishment does not hold a deposit and charges the guest's credit card upon check-in. Is this appropriate for a B&B? How do other B&B charge guests? Secondly, is it the 'norm' for B&B's to have TVs in guestrooms?
Again, any advise would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Sherri

Sherri, it might be more helpful to set your questions up as a couple of polls where you can post some multiple choice responses, because the responses will be all over the place and the poll system can help you keep count.
Many charge no deposit. Many charge a one-day deposit. Some even charge the full amount at time of booking.
Many charge full amount at time of check-in. Some wait until day of check-out.
Some preauthorize, some don't.
Most probably have TVs in at least a few rooms. Many have TV in every room. Some don't have any TVs in guest rooms.
I'd say there are as many answers to your questions as there are inns represented here.

This is just what we do and it's working for us:
We charge 1 night deposit at booking, and I run the balance within 24 hours of check-in (within 24 hrs, it's a forfeit per our policies, and running it before they arrive kind of streamlines the check-in). I am considering offering a fairly steep discount for those who are willing to pay in full - non-refundable - at booking. Right now it's not worth it to us, but I'm thinking it might be a good strategy for certain situations.

Re TVs: Each guest room has a TV with a DVD player. No broadcast/satellite/cable. Actually, cable is not available here, and I don't trust the satellite guy with drilling holes in my lovely old house. When DH has time, he will put up an antenna and run cable himself. We *do* have basic satellite TV in the living room. Guests are welcome to borrow from our DVD collection. Most guests claim they won't watch TV, but I have noted that most who say this *do* manage to find a DVD (or two) that they decide to watch.

We take a 50% deposit. (or 100%, non-refundable on one night stays)
Balance due in full at checkin.
No T.V.s. Only t.v. w/VCR-DVD in common lounge area.

We are small - just 2 rooms so we charge at check out. when we expand to 5 rooms I think we will have to start taking one night deposit but will still be more comfortable charging the balance at check out. But lots of inns charge at check in.
We have a large satelite tv in the library which is often used by guests. In the rooms we have tv/dvd players and a library of movies available, THe room tvs are just on antenna, so they just get the 3-4 major stations. We also have Bose cd/radios in every room, and an alarm clock that is also a docking station for music players
Riki

Our three room Inn charged a one night deposit at the time of reservation with the balance due at check out. All rooms had TV's with expanded cable, VCR and access to a large video library. We also had attractive wood mantel electric fireplaces in all rooms.
Both of our larger competitors only had TV and fireplaces in their $200 rooms, and I know for a fact that having these amenities captured more than our share of browsers. And I think the fireplaces accounted for the extraordinary numbers of honeymooners and anniversary couples.

Welcome!
You will find most of us do things totally different within this one forum.
Some of us only take advance deposit on booked solid weekends or event weekends. Some don't take them at all, or if it is a longer stay only, then they take it.
We charged at check out for all guests, unless it is a walk in, then we charge when they get here.
Our guests require tv's here. Many are on holidays and need to check the weather channel, many enjoy watching the local news, and then there are those traveling during play offs for sports who require the game, or even a debate during an election year is important to them.
We have them, if they don't want to turn it on, they don't have to. We had one romantic room with out it and had people walk out and fuss -even though we clearly stated that room had NO TV, so finally just gave in and put one in.

Welcome!
Some of us only take advance deposit on booked solid weekends or event weekends. Some don't take them at all, or if it is a longer stay only, then they take it.
We charged at check out for all guests, unless it is a walk in, then we charge when they get here.
Our guests require tv's here. Many are on holidays and need to check the weather channel, many enjoy watching the local news, and then there are those traveling during play offs for sports who require the game, or even a debate during an election year is important to them.
We have them, if they don't want to turn it on, they don't have to. We had one romantic room with out it and had people walk out and fuss -even though we clearly stated that room had NO TV, so finally just gave in and put one in..
Joey Bloggs said:
And don't forget the ones who are so busy in their day to day life that they just simply want to veg in front of the TV for awhile!

Sherri, it might be more helpful to set your questions up as a couple of polls where you can post some multiple choice responses, because the responses will be all over the place and the poll system can help you keep count.
Many charge no deposit. Many charge a one-day deposit. Some even charge the full amount at time of booking.
Many charge full amount at time of check-in. Some wait until day of check-out.
Some preauthorize, some don't.
Most probably have TVs in at least a few rooms. Many have TV in every room. Some don't have any TVs in guest rooms.
I'd say there are as many answers to your questions as there are inns represented here..
Thanks everyone; all was great advise. I hope you folks don't mind if I pique your brains for more future advise.
Sherri

Our 9 room Inn has absolutely NO tv's so that everyone can enjoy the quiet, historic ambience. We market to those who consider the lack of television an amenity, they want to de-stress and really feel they've "gotten away from it all".
In the US, it's about 50/50, those b&b's that have tv's versus those that do not. You need to know your market, what they are looking for, and what your competitors offer.
We take a 50% deposit at time of reservation, regardless of length of stay. Balance due at check-out.

Welcome!
We have them, if they don't want to turn it on, they don't have to. We had one romantic room with out it and had people walk out and fuss -even though we clearly stated that room had NO TV, so finally just gave in and put one in..
Okay, a good example. I just this minute had a pop-up biz guy. He called to see if we had any rooms available, and while he drove over I opened up a few that were clean and unoccupied and put lights on. He looked at my smallest/cheapest, and my biggest/fanciest, and 2 mid-range, and was complimentary about all of them. He picked one of the two mid-range and he offered up that he liked the placement of the TV. It's closer to the bed, and had a great viewing angle.
In another thread we're talking about why people choose the rooms they do, and we don't always know why. In this case I do, and it had a lot to do with the TV!

I think as regards TV's I think it is Proud Texan specifically markets their place as get away from it all no TV's but I know where I am it is expected. We try and get people to pay on arrival as it reduces the hassel of trying to take payments on departure which is the same time as breakfast. I know some people preauthorise about 2 days before arrival to check the money is there and complete on either departure or arrival which I think is a good plan. Quite a lot of people take a deposit many round me take at least the first night's stay and find this policy dramatically reduces the number of people messing you about. Whatever you do however make sure it is clear in your policies. We had a lady ring us and accuse us of charging her card for her stay when she wasn't comming for three months. It wasn't us it was our neighbour and they do this as standard policy ie charge for first night (she was only staying 1 night) but she clearly hadn't seen it and it had cleared out her account so was going mad.

I mentioned once before that it may help with cash flow in the quieter times to run offers for other times of the year when it is busier ie 5% discount if you book now and pay in full non refunadable etc would mean you could get some money in during your quiet times less hassel when they do come, if they do cancel you keep it bonus if you resell and keeps you ticking over. You simply withdraw the offer when the quiet time is over.

Sherri, there are other reasons for tv's, example an overly amorous couple in another room, yes, it happens, please allow me to turn the tv up. I dont like listening to other people nor cell phone conversations, so tv's are the least of my worries. I do wish there were those speakers near the bed head for quieter tv's, I mean they have them, but we have to buy them, and prob won't!

Back