HOTELS DO NOT ALLOW CHECK INS AT NOON WHY DO YOU!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Save me from the innsanity! Are they trying to take advantage of the little guys, suck as much out of it as they can? The confirmation among other things says NO EARLY CHECK INS, it says WHAT TIME CHECK IN BEGINS. GO AWAY!
I know, they think they are the only guests for the entire year, so why can't they check in at noon...

they just don't think they have absolutely not idea that there will be someone in that room prior to them and they don't want to think about it so they don't. Its like the ones that leave their bag with me "oh ill take my key so I can get back in" - me sorry but the person checking into that room won't like it. and they are totally confused - feel like saying remember when you came you rang the bell and someone will let you in. "oh will you be in?" duh

Well, because I am NOT a hotel (and durn it, I wish I could get people to understand that).
Now, early check-in isn't always available. Period. Book earlier (or elsewhere) next time.
And I charge for those who book early check in....and don't show up early. Seriously. If it's available, I'm happy to accommodate you...but when you ask me to put myself out and show up whenever you please...oh, yes, that charge? It's for the confirmed early check in that you specifically requested, ma'am. If you ask nicely, agree to the fee, and actually show up when you say you will...then I usually implement the "because I'm the boss" discount.

I have to say as someone who travels a lot, I have been horribly spoiled by hotels. I check in early. I frequently request a late checout. But now that I am in the B&B business, I can see how this all impacts the flow. In a hotel, no one has an issue as they are about 70% full year around so chances are they have something open right now. They put you in early etc. But with our 5 rooms and having booked a specific room, then Aarrggghhh!!!

I have to say as someone who travels a lot, I have been horribly spoiled by hotels. I check in early. I frequently request a late checout. But now that I am in the B&B business, I can see how this all impacts the flow. In a hotel, no one has an issue as they are about 70% full year around so chances are they have something open right now. They put you in early etc. But with our 5 rooms and having booked a specific room, then Aarrggghhh!!!.
and even when you travel half the time your room is not ready at check in? Can you imagine if we pulled that?
No one understands that we do it all here.
When they call during breakfast? US. When they didn't bring the door code and lay on the ringers and someone has to get the door? US. Grocery shopping, banking, returing left behind items overnight? US. Laundry? US. Maintenance? US. Lawns gardens? US. Checkins? US. Check outs? US. Baking checkin treats? US. Cleaning? US. Marketing? US. Business and office mgmt and taxes? US.
and more, of course...

I have to say as someone who travels a lot, I have been horribly spoiled by hotels. I check in early. I frequently request a late checout. But now that I am in the B&B business, I can see how this all impacts the flow. In a hotel, no one has an issue as they are about 70% full year around so chances are they have something open right now. They put you in early etc. But with our 5 rooms and having booked a specific room, then Aarrggghhh!!!.
and even when you travel half the time your room is not ready at check in? Can you imagine if we pulled that?
When they call during breakfast? US. When they didn't bring the door code and lay on the ringers and someone has to get the door? US. Grocery shopping, banking, returing left behind items overnight? US. Laundry? US. Maintenance? US. Lawns gardens? US. Checkins? US. Check outs? US. Baking checkin treats? US. Cleaning? US. Marketing? US. Business and office mgmt and taxes? US.
and more, of course...
JB, you need to come and explain to some of the people I know why I couldn't manage all of that on my own with 2 houses and a pretty darn good occupancy rate....on 4 hours of sleep a night! Truly, usually inntelligent folks do NOT get what the on-site innkeeper does every single flipping day! Yes, we innjoy the guests for the most part. Yes, we like what we do. But it is HARD work.
And, I can count on one hand the number of times that a large lodging property had my room ready when I arrived even slightly early. I wouldn't even think to arrive anywhere at noon and check-in.
Go explore the area, people!!

and more, of course...
JB, you need to come and explain to some of the people I know why I couldn't manage all of that on my own with 2 houses and a pretty darn good occupancy rate....on 4 hours of sleep a night! Truly, usually inntelligent folks do NOT get what the on-site innkeeper does every single flipping day! Yes, we innjoy the guests for the most part. Yes, we like what we do. But it is HARD work.
And, I can count on one hand the number of times that a large lodging property had my room ready when I arrived even slightly early. I wouldn't even think to arrive anywhere at noon and check-in.
we have this attitude a lot - we had a friend who was a night porter at a hotel said he would send us people who rolled up. We said thanks but no thanks we are in bed by 9.30 (night shift starts 11pm -7am) we arn't getting up sorry. They couldn't understand it we have to work from 6.30am to 9.30pm once im in bed the place has to be on fire!!!

The short answer is to avoid this appearing on review sites: Not hospitable. And also having to listen to that at breakfast the next day when everyone else, who arrived at the appointed time, has no idea what the other guest is going on about.
The signage on the door has mostly taken care of the problem of early arrivals. If I don't answer the door I can't be 'not hospitable'. The added bonus is that I also do not have to put up with entitled guests any longer than necessary.
My sanity is actually worth more to me and it's about time I accepted that little fact about moi! And I am also done 'explaining' to guests. If I happen to answer the door and the guest happens to want to check in early, there is a fee for that.

The short answer is to avoid this appearing on review sites: Not hospitable. And also having to listen to that at breakfast the next day when everyone else, who arrived at the appointed time, has no idea what the other guest is going on about.
The signage on the door has mostly taken care of the problem of early arrivals. If I don't answer the door I can't be 'not hospitable'. The added bonus is that I also do not have to put up with entitled guests any longer than necessary.
My sanity is actually worth more to me and it's about time I accepted that little fact about moi! And I am also done 'explaining' to guests. If I happen to answer the door and the guest happens to want to check in early, there is a fee for that..
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

and more, of course...
The one incident that typifies this is:
Late August, long season. I'm out in the garden collecting the chicken eggs and this guest said to me "What an idilic lifestyle you have".
I just thought to myself "I've just done 40 days full-booked without a single day off, you have no idea how hard we work".

I don't mind the occasional early checkin, but I'm more likely to tell them their room in not ready (even if it is) and say that they can leave their bags and come back after 3pm.
Our confirmation says: "Our rooms are normally available from 4.30 onwards, this is to allow us time to clean the rooms as well as run any errands such as shopping. If you would like to check in earlier than this please let us know in advance and we will do our best to accommodate you. Please be aware that if you arrive early without prior notification we may be out.".
We all know people don't read things, but at least if anyone complains that they arrived and no-one was in I can say "Well, it was in your confirmation". Some people think "Prior notification" means phoning 10 minutes before they arrive.
Someone arrived here at 11:10 a couple of weeks ago, they almost passed the people that had their room the night before on the drive.

My sanity is actually worth more to me and it's about time I accepted that little fact about moi! And I am also done 'explaining' to guests. If I happen to answer the door and the guest happens to want to check in early, there is a fee for that..
Madeleine said:
The short answer is to avoid this appearing on review sites:
Sorry Madeleine, but this is a slippery slope to B&B burnout. I've seen it round here. You can't do everything people want and you can't let the chance of review comments make you.

I don't mind the occasional early checkin, but I'm more likely to tell them their room in not ready (even if it is) and say that they can leave their bags and come back after 3pm.
Our confirmation says: "Our rooms are normally available from 4.30 onwards, this is to allow us time to clean the rooms as well as run any errands such as shopping. If you would like to check in earlier than this please let us know in advance and we will do our best to accommodate you. Please be aware that if you arrive early without prior notification we may be out.".
We all know people don't read things, but at least if anyone complains that they arrived and no-one was in I can say "Well, it was in your confirmation". Some people think "Prior notification" means phoning 10 minutes before they arrive.
Someone arrived here at 11:10 a couple of weeks ago, they almost passed the people that had their room the night before on the drive..
We had one couple arrive at 7AM and ask to see the room immediately. The entire interaction with this couple was a disaster and they ended up cancelling and paying us for the night. (Thankfully.)
We allow guests to leave luggage (but not themselves), but just as you said, even if the room is ready, we often tell them that it isn't until 3PM because we need to clean the house, not just their room. We set them up, explain where everything is and send them on their way so we can clean etc. And they can come back anytime after 3PM.

Madeleine said:
Sorry Madeleine, but this is a slippery slope to B&B burnout. I've seen it round here. You can't do everything people want and you can't let the chance of review comments make you.
Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
That's why we now hang a sign in the door that says we'll be back at 3 PM. BIG sign. So far, the only person who has rung the bell has been the UPS guy. We have answered the door when we've been standing right there, but it's no longer me who answers.

Interestingly enough the two couples who were here at noon are no shows for breakfast. I don't think it is pay back I think it is hang over related. I HATE GROUPS! Even if it is just two couples, they really are disrespectful.

Interestingly enough the two couples who were here at noon are no shows for breakfast. I don't think it is pay back I think it is hang over related. I HATE GROUPS! Even if it is just two couples, they really are disrespectful..
Joey Bloggs said:
Interestingly enough the two couples who were here at noon are no shows for breakfast. I don't think it is pay back I think it is hang over related. I HATE GROUPS! Even if it is just two couples, they really are disrespectful.
Breakfast at a B&B is a two-edged sword. It's complimentary, so there are no discounts if you skip it, but you can't charge them extra if they are no shows.

Interestingly enough the two couples who were here at noon are no shows for breakfast. I don't think it is pay back I think it is hang over related. I HATE GROUPS! Even if it is just two couples, they really are disrespectful..
Mostly I am not fond of groups either but we had a wonderful group here this weekend. They kept their 'party' in one guest room and not in the living room, made their beds each day, put their trash in the trash bins and not all over the floor, showed up for breakfast, ate everything and left a $40 tip! Only damage was a broken glass that got blown over by the wind.
If we could have more groups like that I wouldn't dread seeing group bookings.

I have not even bloody done the dishes yet and someone is at the door. IF this is a checkin for today I will not be pleased...I saw her and will remember, like an elephant remembers. HA HA!
Our guests are not even out of here yet...people people get real! It is raining now, so I expect earlier than later check ins, sure.
On another note, one dude at the table (retired judge) who was delightful and loved everything said "That was perhaps the best breakfast I have ever had, I cannot remember anything as good!" He then said "Is there some way we can help you, write a review or something?" The very old lady who at check in had to stop on the porch, stop in the foyer, stop on the stairs, and so on... says "Go to Trip Advisor!" I about fell over. I said "Holy cow you are with it!" She said "My son has a B&B in Hilo" BLESS THIS LADY!

I have not even bloody done the dishes yet and someone is at the door. IF this is a checkin for today I will not be pleased...I saw her and will remember, like an elephant remembers. HA HA!
Our guests are not even out of here yet...people people get real! It is raining now, so I expect earlier than later check ins, sure.
On another note, one dude at the table (retired judge) who was delightful and loved everything said "That was perhaps the best breakfast I have ever had, I cannot remember anything as good!" He then said "Is there some way we can help you, write a review or something?" The very old lady who at check in had to stop on the porch, stop in the foyer, stop on the stairs, and so on... says "Go to Trip Advisor!" I about fell over. I said "Holy cow you are with it!" She said "My son has a B&B in Hilo" BLESS THIS LADY!.
Wow! You just never know who's walking thru the door!
But not at 10:30 AM... ;)

Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
That's why we now hang a sign in the door that says we'll be back at 3 PM. BIG sign. So far, the only person who has rung the bell has been the UPS guy. We have answered the door when we've been standing right there, but it's no longer me who answers.
thumbs_up.gif

Back