HOTELS DO NOT ALLOW CHECK INS AT NOON WHY DO YOU!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but I have worked all kinds of hotels from little ones to 5* Leading Hotels all over the world and the statement "do not allow check ins" is just not correct
Hotels like Inns have check in and out times and communicate these to guests like we do
MOST hotels will allow you to check in early IF they have rooms available but they cannot guarantee it unless you book from the night before. Why do they allow people that arrive early to check in early? Because otherwise the front desk often has to deal with them twice. Some hotels will now register the guest on arrival and text them back when the room is ready.
Some hotels will allow you to have a late check out - why? Because they know they cannot clean all the rooms by 1pm. Most hotels housekeeping works from 7-4 and have 10-17 rooms depending on type of hotel. There are always some guests who leave early and housekeeping starts on those. There are some guests that are occupied rooms so they can do those.
Mostly it depends on management policy and common sense.
Now I am NOT saying this would work for every Inn, but I have always said there are "policies", common sense and customer service. I like to think my fellow Innkeepers have and use all three.

Sorry but I have worked all kinds of hotels from little ones to 5* Leading Hotels all over the world and the statement "do not allow check ins" is just not correct
Hotels like Inns have check in and out times and communicate these to guests like we do
MOST hotels will allow you to check in early IF they have rooms available but they cannot guarantee it unless you book from the night before. Why do they allow people that arrive early to check in early? Because otherwise the front desk often has to deal with them twice. Some hotels will now register the guest on arrival and text them back when the room is ready.
Some hotels will allow you to have a late check out - why? Because they know they cannot clean all the rooms by 1pm. Most hotels housekeeping works from 7-4 and have 10-17 rooms depending on type of hotel. There are always some guests who leave early and housekeeping starts on those. There are some guests that are occupied rooms so they can do those.
Now I am NOT saying this would work for every Inn, but I have always said there are "policies", common sense and customer service. I like to think my fellow Innkeepers have and use all three..
To me there is almost nothing worse after spending a very relaxing vacation somewhere and getting de-compressed, to have housekeeping staff knocking at your door 15-30 minutes before the appointed check-out time as you're lining up all your stuff to schlep it to the car.
Folks, let me enjoy the last few minutes of my well deserved vacation! I'll be out of your hair on time and soon enough!
Just a take on the other side of the check-out coin....

Now I am NOT saying this would work for every Inn, but I have always said there are "policies", common sense and customer service. I like to think my fellow Innkeepers have and use all three..
To me there is almost nothing worse after spending a very relaxing vacation somewhere and getting de-compressed, to have housekeeping staff knocking at your door 15-30 minutes before the appointed check-out time as you're lining up all your stuff to schlep it to the car.
Folks, let me enjoy the last few minutes of my well deserved vacation! I'll be out of your hair on time and soon enough!
I paid for a late check-out on vacation and the housekeepers knocked every half hour from 11 AM until 3 PM when I left. That's annoying. I kept telling them I have an authorized late check-out and (I understand this) all they wanted was for me to leave so they could clean and go home.

I paid for a late check-out on vacation and the housekeepers knocked every half hour from 11 AM until 3 PM when I left. That's annoying. I kept telling them I have an authorized late check-out and (I understand this) all they wanted was for me to leave so they could clean and go home.
angry_smile.gif
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I would have gone to the front desk and complained about that for sure!

angry_smile.gif
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! I would have gone to the front desk and complained about that for sure!
I am so much better informed now than I was then!

This lady just called and asked me to go and check every mattress as her husband needs a firm mattress. I said "Ma'am I just had 4 rooms check out and I am actually trying to clean the rooms for the new check- ins shortly" I told her which one (of the two remaining are fimer) but said I have not slept on them lately. She said "Can't you just run up there and test them?"
She may have been the one here earlier... She said she will stop by soon and drop off their luggage. I told her "Again, I will be upstairs cleaning the rooms for check in"
She said if he doesn't like it then we can move. I told her I am sorry you cannot do that. Top it off with a strong accent, and i am done for, THIS IS WHY i let the machine get it! BYE!

This lady just called and asked me to go and check every mattress as her husband needs a firm mattress. I said "Ma'am I just had 4 rooms check out and I am actually trying to clean the rooms for the new check- ins shortly" I told her which one (of the two remaining are fimer) but said I have not slept on them lately. She said "Can't you just run up there and test them?"
She may have been the one here earlier... She said she will stop by soon and drop off their luggage. I told her "Again, I will be upstairs cleaning the rooms for check in"
She said if he doesn't like it then we can move. I told her I am sorry you cannot do that. Top it off with a strong accent, and i am done for, THIS IS WHY i let the machine get it! BYE!.
It is interesting what people will think of after they've made the reservation and an hour before they check-in. Walk-ins will often lie right down on the beds testing them out. They really don't understand that the rooms are supposed to look UNlived in when the new guests arrive, not like someone just rolled out of bed.
Being the gracious host, I don't gasp and run to smooth everything out. Sometimes I would like to.

angry_smile.gif
I am so much better informed now than I was then!
the worst we had was we were on holiday and were having a lie in and it was 9am (check out 11am) and the housekeeper knocked and came straight in ie no delay between knock and comming in we were in bed! i did complain about that one.

She said if he doesn't like it then we can move. I told her I am sorry you cannot do that. Top it off with a strong accent, and i am done for, THIS IS WHY i let the machine get it! BYE!.
It is interesting what people will think of after they've made the reservation and an hour before they check-in. Walk-ins will often lie right down on the beds testing them out. They really don't understand that the rooms are supposed to look UNlived in when the new guests arrive, not like someone just rolled out of bed.
Being the gracious host, I don't gasp and run to smooth everything out. Sometimes I would like to.
Madeleine said:
Okay too much information. Walk ins do that?That is just gross! Come on people!!!
I actually went back up and will let them pick btwn two rooms, the price as they are. Not roll around on them, he can sit on the edge. He can't "Change" after they are in it, like she suggested, sheesh.

Madeleine said:
Okay too much information. Walk ins do that?That is just gross! Come on people!!!
I actually went back up and will let them pick btwn two rooms, the price as they are. Not roll around on them, he can sit on the edge. He can't "Change" after they are in it, like she suggested, sheesh.
Walk-ins bounce on the beds, lie on them, look out all the windows (adjusting the curtains and shades as they go along), turn on all the lights, open the shower doors. I've not had any check under the bed but they're as close to a health inspector as we get on a regular basis.
I know people sometimes wonder why I get as grumpy as I do. Well, this is part of it.
And walk ins start around 9 AM and go until 9 PM in the summer. As soon as they leave the prior place they are on the road looking for tonight's accommodations.
I've also had them comment on the breakfast. Either the one for the next day (theirs) or the one I'm serving when they ring the bell. 'We've had that already this week, can you make us something else?' Or, 'Does everyone make that around here? Don't you make anything else?'
They also complain about the stairs, the weather, the traffic (in the middle of the day it's busy here, at night we roll up the sidewalks, but of course they don't know that) and on and on. Like I can control any of it.
It's the thousand little cuts, not the major insults or problems that wear a person down.

Oh Madeleine you are cute when you are grumpy.
This woman alone is on my last - see I can't even think of the word...what is it? Straw? Thread? Nerve? Go up and test the mattresses for her. What am I a circus monkey?

I didn't know hotels didn't do check-ins until after a certain time. Luck has always been with me when I've shown up whenever and I've been able to get in. Since I've paid attention (only in the past few years) I HAVE seen that the websites and confirmations DO say check-in is after 2 or 3 PM.
The big name hotels around here let you check-in if there is a room ready and if you are willing to pay the FULL extra night from the night before. The smaller places just let you in if the room is ready.
I'm ok with early check-ins when it's slow. Once we hit 80% occ and above then I am less tolerant and will no longer answer the door.
None of my repeats check in early. They all know better. Plus, they know what there is to do, they know where the bathrooms are in the area and they don't need any help so they go play until 'later'. I love them. Even if they do show up early they require nothing from me. They know where their room is, what the system is and where to find whatever they need. I love them.
I wish I could clone them. OK, not all of them, but most of them! Thinking about it, most of my repeats are self-check-ins. They call and ask, 'Is my code still the same? OK, see you in the morning, we'll be quiet!' I love them.
When I am just waving a departing guest off and a new guest tries to get in thru the open door I generally give a hearty, 'Good MORNING!' to them and block the doorway. But, the new plan is to allow early check-ins if ANY room is open. But it's MY choice which room they get and they do not get to move to the room they chose later on.
If we've already begun cleaning, well, I can't hear the doorbell in the guest rooms now can I so the problem solves itself.

I didn't know hotels didn't do check-ins until after a certain time. Luck has always been with me when I've shown up whenever and I've been able to get in. Since I've paid attention (only in the past few years) I HAVE seen that the websites and confirmations DO say check-in is after 2 or 3 PM.
The big name hotels around here let you check-in if there is a room ready and if you are willing to pay the FULL extra night from the night before. The smaller places just let you in if the room is ready.
I'm ok with early check-ins when it's slow. Once we hit 80% occ and above then I am less tolerant and will no longer answer the door.
None of my repeats check in early. They all know better. Plus, they know what there is to do, they know where the bathrooms are in the area and they don't need any help so they go play until 'later'. I love them. Even if they do show up early they require nothing from me. They know where their room is, what the system is and where to find whatever they need. I love them.
I wish I could clone them. OK, not all of them, but most of them! Thinking about it, most of my repeats are self-check-ins. They call and ask, 'Is my code still the same? OK, see you in the morning, we'll be quiet!' I love them.
When I am just waving a departing guest off and a new guest tries to get in thru the open door I generally give a hearty, 'Good MORNING!' to them and block the doorway. But, the new plan is to allow early check-ins if ANY room is open. But it's MY choice which room they get and they do not get to move to the room they chose later on.
If we've already begun cleaning, well, I can't hear the doorbell in the guest rooms now can I so the problem solves itself..
When I worked in bg hotels we always used to check people in early whenever we could as it saves dealing with them twice and you can guarantee when they do come back its the same time as a ruddy coach tour arrives or something and its a fricking zoo.

Oh Madeleine you are cute when you are grumpy.
This woman alone is on my last - see I can't even think of the word...what is it? Straw? Thread? Nerve? Go up and test the mattresses for her. What am I a circus monkey?.
Wind you up and see you goooooooooooooooo.... LOL!
I think she's on your last raw nerve, JB. Hang in there....the light is at the end of the tunnel, right?

Madeleine said:
Walk-ins bounce on the beds, lie on them, look out all the windows (adjusting the curtains and shades as they go along), turn on all the lights, open the shower doors. I've not had any check under the bed but they're as close to a health inspector as we get on a regular basis.
I know people sometimes wonder why I get as grumpy as I do. Well, this is part of it.
And walk ins start around 9 AM and go until 9 PM in the summer. As soon as they leave the prior place they are on the road looking for tonight's accommodations.
I've also had them comment on the breakfast. Either the one for the next day (theirs) or the one I'm serving when they ring the bell. 'We've had that already this week, can you make us something else?' Or, 'Does everyone make that around here? Don't you make anything else?'
They also complain about the stairs, the weather, the traffic (in the middle of the day it's busy here, at night we roll up the sidewalks, but of course they don't know that) and on and on. Like I can control any of it.
It's the thousand little cuts, not the major insults or problems that wear a person down.
What is it that JB would say about fending off the little cuts? OH! I remember...put on your rhino suit!! Hang in there, Madeleine!

Madeleine said: Walk-ins bounce on the beds, lie on them, look out all the windows (adjusting the curtains and shades as they go along), turn on all the lights, open the shower doors. I've not had any check under the bed but they're as close to a health inspector as we get on a regular basis.
Why do they think they can come in and inspect??? Never heard anyone at a hotel ask 'can we see the room first? Just peeves me!

Madeleine said: Walk-ins bounce on the beds, lie on them, look out all the windows (adjusting the curtains and shades as they go along), turn on all the lights, open the shower doors. I've not had any check under the bed but they're as close to a health inspector as we get on a regular basis.
Why do they think they can come in and inspect??? Never heard anyone at a hotel ask 'can we see the room first? Just peeves me!.
copperhead said:
Why do they think they can come in and inspect??? Never heard anyone at a hotel ask 'can we see the room first? Just peeves me!
I don't have a problem with people off the street seeing the room, in fact we charge more than most near here, but I know that if I can get them in the room and see what we're offering they're more like to stay. However I draw the line at a full road test including the bed. I don't mind if they want to lift the duvet and press the matress but not get on it.

Back