Hotels moving away from daily cleanings...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They figured out last year how much money they saved!

The money saved, both in labor and supplies, will go to the bottom line and help them stay in business.

I'm sure some B&Bs will switch to this model, though I know a lot of owners won't be able to give up the control and peace of mind gained by checking in the rooms daily, even multiple times/day, to make sure people aren't damaging things or breaking the rules.

Since May 2020, no one wants the daily refresh. I’ve stopped asking

I never did. I ask (always have) if they need maid service saying I consider that room as your home while you are here and I would not enter your home without permission. My guests have been respectful of my place with one exception - and he was retaliating for me charging him 1 night of a 3-night rez he tried to cancel on arrival.

The money saved, both in labor and supplies, will go to the bottom line and help them stay in business.

I'm sure some B&Bs will switch to this model, though I know a lot of owners won't be able to give up the control and peace of mind gained by checking in the rooms daily, even multiple times/day, to make sure people aren't damaging things or breaking the rules.
I was more concerned about my health than a few stained carpets or sheets! The tough part was we had relatively no work for our housekeeper. We kept encouraging him to go on unemployment, but you have to show you made a minimum amount the previous year and he just didn’t have the hours being PT. So, no unemployment $$ for him. He ended up doing a lot of odd jobs and taking care of an elderly family member.

I hate how much more time it takes me at the end, but I do get a day or two off this way, even if it means more wash on one day and more garbage.
(I didn't think they could create more... but they manage. So much disposible nonsense now.)

We always asked, and only one out of five ever took us up on it. Even less now. They'll ask if we can leave them fresh towels outside the room, but that's about it.

For years, I've immediately hung out the Do Not Disturb sign when I arrive at a hotel room. I don't need them or want them in there! If I need something, I'll let them know. Some leave a plastic bag on the door knob occasionally with more coffee and other supplies. That's nice.

No turndown service, no mid-stay housekeeping. We will replenish bath linens as needed when asked. If they have trash, they will leave outside their room door. Guests don't mind and appreciate that we are mindful of their and our health.

We have a door hanger that says "Maid Service Please" If it's not on the door we enjoy our extra ten minutes of free time X up to 8

My 9-night people brought the trash down. when they left, the few towels were folded neatly in a stack (I have loads of towels on a shelf in that room - they were "green" so used very few).

We are an 11 room inn - and have stopped daily cleans. We have a credenza on each floor where we store extra paper products, coffee, etc.. Guests leave their trash outside the door daily and if they want any linens switched out, they leave those in a bag outside the door as well. Most appreciate that no one is entering their room. My housekeepers also really appreciate not having to enter the rooms until the guests depart. It has been working well - and my housekeepers have stayed healthy - so grateful for that.

I find it really difficult to not refresh the rooms. I feel like I'm short-changing the guests, especially the ones who have been here previously. How do you let them know you won't be doing daily housekeeping?

We put together a covid info sheet that we laminated and leave on the bed. It includes a note that we will not be refreshing your room during your stay. Then, instructions to leave laundry and trash outside the room for replacement.

I find it really difficult to not refresh the rooms. I feel like I'm short-changing the guests, especially the ones who have been here previously. How do you let them know you won't be doing daily housekeeping?
We told them at check in and again at breakfast, it was also on the website when you made a reservation. ‘For your protection and ours, we will not be going in your room to clean. If you need anything, just ask.’

As an individual (me as a guest) I always preferred to find my stuff where I left it and not moved or disposed of, as an operator we have always asked for that reason, most guests chose the "leave me alone" option. As a tiny motel, our guests may be different. I take the position that I'm the motel maid and not "your mom", straightening an empty bed, easy enough, but for us it is often a group of 4, food, clothing, electronics, cover the bed and the floor, I wouldn't know where to start.

Today my information, registration sheet, and check in speech inform the guests to ask if anything is needed. Truthfully, many are weekend guests, arriving Friday evening and departing Sunday morning and hopefully supplies are sufficient for the length of their stay.

We put together a covid info sheet that we laminated and leave on the bed. It includes a note that we will not be refreshing your room during your stay. Then, instructions to leave laundry and trash outside the room for replacement.
Guess who just read this and thought...ah, laminated note, great idea 🙋‍♀️ . I've done the same, but not laminated. I've been printing and cutting out little quarter page sheets for a year,to leave in the guest's room. And have been frusterated that we need to change them after almost every guest. 🙈 Laminated. Yes. Great thought!

Back