House History Detectives

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
Our current guests are descendents of the original builder. One of them has kindly allowed me to copy photos and the printed family history they have with them for a reunion taking place this weekend. I am in seventh heaven! They found us after we re-named the rooms for the daughters of the owner/builder. That suggestion came from an inn-mate. You know who you are!
heart.gif

A couple of years ago, I had the original owner's granddaughter stay here with her grandchildren. They brought a beautifully made scrapbook with pictures of the original house, which was a one story, and then as a two story home. It was so neat to look at the interior shots and try to figure out what rooms they were when the picture was taken. There is one picture of two ladies standing at the base of the stairs. There is a rug in front of them, set all catty-wampus on the floor. I have my area rug the exact same way! Also included in the scrapbook is a story of the history of the home and information about a great storm that our city endured that killed many thousands, and what the residents in the home did during the storm. I was so touched that she took the time to do that for me/the house and she was so touched by how much love had gone into renovating the home.

A couple of years ago, I had the original owner's granddaughter stay here with her grandchildren. They brought a beautifully made scrapbook with pictures of the original house, which was a one story, and then as a two story home. It was so neat to look at the interior shots and try to figure out what rooms they were when the picture was taken. There is one picture of two ladies standing at the base of the stairs. There is a rug in front of them, set all catty-wampus on the floor. I have my area rug the exact same way! Also included in the scrapbook is a story of the history of the home and information about a great storm that our city endured that killed many thousands, and what the residents in the home did during the storm. I was so touched that she took the time to do that for me/the house and she was so touched by how much love had gone into renovating the home..
Yes! This lady is here with her daughter and granddaughter. This weekend is truly a pleasure.

A couple of years ago, I had the original owner's granddaughter stay here with her grandchildren. They brought a beautifully made scrapbook with pictures of the original house, which was a one story, and then as a two story home. It was so neat to look at the interior shots and try to figure out what rooms they were when the picture was taken. There is one picture of two ladies standing at the base of the stairs. There is a rug in front of them, set all catty-wampus on the floor. I have my area rug the exact same way! Also included in the scrapbook is a story of the history of the home and information about a great storm that our city endured that killed many thousands, and what the residents in the home did during the storm. I was so touched that she took the time to do that for me/the house and she was so touched by how much love had gone into renovating the home..
I used to sell books and I had a copy of a book about that huge storm! Don't still have it or I would send it to add to the story she gave you today.

That is so cool! I've been such a nut about researching history of our house. We have a plethora of school books from the main owners (bought from builder and owned for over 90 years) from the 1900-1030's where the kids wrote limericks and practiced their signatures. I've been able to piece together some of the names from these signatures (ie: BF Kincaid was listed on everything, found out his name is Benjamin Franklin Kincaid).
We had an 85 y/o man stay with us last month. When he was 12, he was babysat by our Bana Kincaid for two weeks in our house. Learned that his personal house stood on the big hill overlooking the town which now has a bank on it.
Congrats for this amazing information! I know you are on cloud nine

What a great feeling! We have met grandchildren of the original owner (1864), who were born in the house as well as the previous owner and her children/grandchildren. This house has great karma in addition to being fully documented by the Park Service, National Historic Register etc. Since we are only the 3rd family to own the place it was not too difficult to follow its history. But we have never had a previous owner's family stay with us...That is really special!

Shortly after we opened, I got a phone call from one of the grandsons of my family the house is named for. He asked how much the rooms were. He and his wife and his parents were planning to come. I told him you do not pay to "come home". They were actually here on my birthday in 1996. What a present!
That is when I found out this son - the last child - was born in Rosi's Room in 1919 as was the only granddaughter in 1932. The last time the grandson was here, he gave us a box of his uncle's military memorabilia (which we gave to the museum after I plowed through it to see what was there) AND his Grandfather's deed to the house. He spent summers here with his grandparents so he is never charged - but his daughter was charged when she came as it was NOT coming home for her. I had a chat with him early on that his generation is the last of the "coming home" and the next generation and beyond are regular guests - and they are OK with that as am I.

Shortly after we opened, I got a phone call from one of the grandsons of my family the house is named for. He asked how much the rooms were. He and his wife and his parents were planning to come. I told him you do not pay to "come home". They were actually here on my birthday in 1996. What a present!
That is when I found out this son - the last child - was born in Rosi's Room in 1919 as was the only granddaughter in 1932. The last time the grandson was here, he gave us a box of his uncle's military memorabilia (which we gave to the museum after I plowed through it to see what was there) AND his Grandfather's deed to the house. He spent summers here with his grandparents so he is never charged - but his daughter was charged when she came as it was NOT coming home for her. I had a chat with him early on that his generation is the last of the "coming home" and the next generation and beyond are regular guests - and they are OK with that as am I..
thumbs_up.gif

Back