housekeeper responsibilities?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
we're in a bit of a slow period now and the housekeeper needs extra chores. what sorts of things do you have your housekeeper doing when the rooms are finished and you want to make sure she gets her housr in so she doesn't look for other work? she's blazed through my usual list of extra jobs and this rain is keeping us from getting outside to do any sprucing up around the yard. tomorrow she will clean the kitchen which is a big task but after that my list is finished until she can start over on it in a few weeks. in 2 weeks this will no longer be an issue but it is right now.

What about window washing???? They always need cleaning....but I don't do them:) Have you had her do some real deep cleaning of guest rooms?? Every nook and cranny???

What about window washing???? They always need cleaning....but I don't do them:) Have you had her do some real deep cleaning of guest rooms?? Every nook and cranny???.
window washing was last week. deep cleaning is a good idea. several of the rooms were done earlier this year but she can work on the others. flipping mattresses and getting way under the beds. cleaning out the drawres in the dressers and getting into the closets.

how about painting? would you have the housekeeper paint? nothing big, not a whole room, just some touch ups. i would ask first not just hand her a paintbrush, maybe she's allergic to paint. but is it something you would even ask? anther innkeeper told me he has his housekeepers- 3 of them- busy all the time with repairs and painting, gardneing, everything that needs to get don they do it.

Here's my list FWIW: well, that didn't work. I don't know what's wrong, I can't cut and paste. OK, there it is...
Fold towels, put away, keep loads moving in washer/dryer
Keep sheets moving in laundry
Dust: living room, dining room, reception area, hallway & stairs
Dust guest rooms
Front porch: water plants, dust furniture, sweep
Sort recyclables
Clean guest bath
Water container plants outside
Fold & put away napkins
Swiffer downstairs rooms & living room & hallway
Wash out guest fridge & micro
Restock teas, coffee, sugar, creamers, hot cocoa, cereal
Dust tops of door frames
Remove & clean A/C filters
Vacuum out radiators with canister vac
Spray off, wipe down patio furniture
Sweep steps & patio
Restock cleaning supplies, toilet paper, paper towels, etc
Vacuum front stairs & back stairs (hand-held vac)
Remove & clean light fixture/vent in bathrooms
Clean carpet in one room
Added to the list...
Clean all full length mirrors and hallway mirrors.
Clean light switches.
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

I'm bartering with a friend for cleaning help, we washed walls and ceilings and washed all of our blinds. We'll be doing a deep clean on the kitchen soon. It was great because she used to be a housekeeping supervisor and saw things I didn't, fresh eyes! Also, she's bubbly and fun to work with, makes it go faster!

Deep cleaning...taking a toothbrush around all faucets and fixtures.
Baseboards.
Do you have any sliver you use? I hate to polish our silver trays and it's something we save for when family visits and want to help.
Wash curtains & comforters
rearrange & clean cupboards

Windows was the first thing I thought of!
We may be getting help this summer (your stimulus dollars at work). I fully intend to have the person (a teen that I train while the program pays) paint, both touch up in the house, plus fence and garage door.
Also from my list she'll do general cleaning (sweeping, mopping, washing blinds, washing baseboards), organizing (making a list of videos and games [so I don't buy duplicates at yard sales!], helping me sort out the laundry room, furnace room, attic, and office), landscaping (weeding, pruning, mulching, repairing/installing landscape walls, cleaning gutters), repairs (puttying nail holes, painting walls and trim, painting fence and garage doors, varnishing chairs, installing curtains, sealing grout in bathrooms); paperwork (updating room notebooks, doing grocery price comparisons).
I can hardly wait!
=)
Kk.

We may be getting help this summer (your stimulus dollars at work). I fully intend to have the person (a teen that I train while the program pays) paint, both touch up in the house, plus fence and garage door.
Also from my list she'll do general cleaning (sweeping, mopping, washing blinds, washing baseboards), organizing (making a list of videos and games [so I don't buy duplicates at yard sales!], helping me sort out the laundry room, furnace room, attic, and office), landscaping (weeding, pruning, mulching, repairing/installing landscape walls, cleaning gutters), repairs (puttying nail holes, painting walls and trim, painting fence and garage doors, varnishing chairs, installing curtains, sealing grout in bathrooms); paperwork (updating room notebooks, doing grocery price comparisons).
I can hardly wait!
=)
Kk..
So what does she do on day 2?
wink_smile.gif

I can hardly wait!
=)
Kk..
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
wink_smile.gif
Rewash all the floors (we have twin boys...).
=)
Kk.

We cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom, including taking everything down from the top of the cabinets (I have all this decorative stuff up there) and washing it and cleaning the tops of the cabinets. We literally went from floor to ceiling, including pulling out the appliances and getting behind them and under them. (Where does that dust come from when you're cleaning every day??) Also, having open cabinets required making sure all the shelves were clean.
We washed all the glassware in an open cabinet.
Wash the porches.
The gal that helps me LOVES to work in the yard. She helped me lug a bunch of mulch around and spread it. That was a good couple of hours :)
Next up is re-organizing the laundry room!

I can hardly wait!
=)
Kk..
Stimulus money?

I can hardly wait!
=)
Kk..
Stimulus money?
Yeah I think she mentioned that a local group working with kids and families in her town got some stimulus money from the gov't.

cleaning the oven - even though it's 'self cleaning'
cleaning the kitchen exhaust fan -- get the grease OUT of there
taking the ceiling light fixture covers down and liberating the dead bugs in there
cleaning BETWEEN the spindles on chairs and on stairs
taking everything out of the silverware drawer and the gadget drawers and the desk drawer and cleaning the things that hold the silverware and gadgets (how DO all those crumbs and yuck get IN there anyway?)
cleaning the phones
scouring the coffee makers
cleaning the refrigerator in the kitchen and the guest refrigerators THOROUGHLY
weeding out the old magazines and reading materials and defunct brochures from all around the place
cleaning every mirror in the place
cleaning the box fans and the window fans and the ceiling fans and the mini blinds (nightmare!)
cleaning MY little room - shocking but true! - while i soaked in the tub -- soooo yummy.

cleaning the oven - even though it's 'self cleaning'
cleaning the kitchen exhaust fan -- get the grease OUT of there
taking the ceiling light fixture covers down and liberating the dead bugs in there
cleaning BETWEEN the spindles on chairs and on stairs
taking everything out of the silverware drawer and the gadget drawers and the desk drawer and cleaning the things that hold the silverware and gadgets (how DO all those crumbs and yuck get IN there anyway?)
cleaning the phones
scouring the coffee makers
cleaning the refrigerator in the kitchen and the guest refrigerators THOROUGHLY
weeding out the old magazines and reading materials and defunct brochures from all around the place
cleaning every mirror in the place
cleaning the box fans and the window fans and the ceiling fans and the mini blinds (nightmare!)
cleaning MY little room - shocking but true! - while i soaked in the tub -- soooo yummy..
You're not doing that NOW are you & that's why you're awake at 2 am??? :)
Good idea about the drawers in the kitchen - we did not do that when we did the full kitchen clean-up. Horrors! haha!

I can hardly wait!
=)
Kk..
Stimulus money?
Innkeep said:
Stimulus money?
It's a program through Job and Family Services, administered by Catholic Charities, funded by the Workforce Investment Act. Last year they had 10 kids to place, some of whom scraped gum off seats at the high school. This year they have 65.
The kids go through life skills training programs, then get placed with someone who agrees to supervise and train them... we're supposed to keep them busy, and we can't leave them unsupervised. The program pays their salary, does their paperwork, covers their insurance, the works.
It's not definite, but likely we're getting a kid... probably as soon as school gets out. I can hardly wait!
=)
Kk.

i was up til after 4 am .... don't know why. got up at 8:30 this morning (late by innkeeper standards) but i thought i'd be sleeping the morning away. odd.

i was up til after 4 am .... don't know why. got up at 8:30 this morning (late by innkeeper standards) but i thought i'd be sleeping the morning away. odd..
So ...without revealing too much...where are you now? What are you up to? Are you innkeeping for someone? Whatever it is, I hope you are doing well and are happy:)

i was up til after 4 am .... don't know why. got up at 8:30 this morning (late by innkeeper standards) but i thought i'd be sleeping the morning away. odd..
Oh, dear...
I had a couple of 3-4 hours of sleep nights during the week. ugh. I hope you got caught up on your sleep.

MooseTrax said:
what sorts of things do you have your housekeeper doing when the rooms are finished and you want to make sure she gets her hours in so she doesn't look for other work?
Let's see.....DW has me doing the windows, the yard and acreage, the website, the bookkeeping......Ooooh, you mean those B&Bs that can afford to hire a housekeeper. It must me nice.

Back