Housekeeping - does everyone freshen rooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See now I am surprised to hear that question from B&B'ers. I assumed that it is standard practice that the rooms would be picked up and made up. I thought that that is what makes the difference in experience.
I don't go into the cottages at all during a guest's stay. I offer to replace their towels and coffee and soaps, etc. But I often catch myself sort of apologizing at check-in for not coming through and straightening things out. So I started offering it as an add-on when making reservations online. Only one person took advantage of it since I put it out there.
Ugh, I blabber again without direction...
embaressed_smile.gif

I make the beds every day. If they've tossed the throw and cushions to one side I'll put them back on the bed, if they've stored them away somewhere like in the cupboard I leave them there. We freshen the courtesy tray, fill teas/coffees replace dirty cups etc., empty bins, wipe round the bathroom, wash the bathroom floor and hoover the bedroom and replace the flowers if need be..
Highlands John said:
...and hoover the bedroom and replace the flowers if need be.
I LOVE that. I am going to hoover my library tomorrow. heehee

We pop into the rooms every day just to freshen up. Often, the trash cans just need to be emptied. The guests appreciate it. I do straighten the bed, but don't make it up 100% beautiful like when they checked in..
I instruct housekeepers not to handle guests property that's been left on the bed. If clothing, camera gear, or personal items have been left on the bed they move on to the bathroom or gather trash. When I was new to innkeeping I couldn't imagine that the guests wanted me to enter their room. Now we restock items and replace towels that have been left on the floor besides making beds etc.
my chamber maid is instructed not to make any beds with items on ie ipads cameras etc - not worth the trouble if something was damaged or they say it was damaged.

Back