Housekeeping - the fluff

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
I know we have discussed this before...
Do you fluff during a guest stay? Do you have something posted stating you do so and the times? What do you do if there are things left on the bed - or does it depend on what is left on the bed?
Ever have someone confront you about any of those items? Or something they can't seem to find as they pack their bags to leave?
Yes there is a story behind this...
broken_heart.gif

We do not tell guests we are going to clean unless we have a housekeeper then that info is on the tip note. We have had guests think something is missing from the room when they go to pack up or when they get home they find they are missing something.
We always clean during the guest's stay as there is generally a LOT of trash in the rooms and wet towels everywhere. We like to keep ahead of issues by not waiting. Turn off the heat or A/C, close windows when it's raining, things like that.
We have rarely seen a room where we look around and ask, 'Is someone actually IN this room?' Most of the time it looks like they snuck in another 5 people.
I like my room to be neatened when I'm on vacay. Makes for a more pleasant stay.

We do not tell guests we are going to clean unless we have a housekeeper then that info is on the tip note. We have had guests think something is missing from the room when they go to pack up or when they get home they find they are missing something.
We always clean during the guest's stay as there is generally a LOT of trash in the rooms and wet towels everywhere. We like to keep ahead of issues by not waiting. Turn off the heat or A/C, close windows when it's raining, things like that.
We have rarely seen a room where we look around and ask, 'Is someone actually IN this room?' Most of the time it looks like they snuck in another 5 people.
I like my room to be neatened when I'm on vacay. Makes for a more pleasant stay..
Madeleine said:
I like my room to be neatened when I'm on vacay. Makes for a more pleasant stay.
When I worked in the hotel, I always loved the business people who stayed during the week. There were times when I walked in the room and thought they might have checked out early, but then I would see their suitcase sitting neatly in the corner.
Weekends guests were mainly there for vacation etc. and their rooms were not like the business people at all, and took so much longer to tidy up. Trying to make their beds while trying not to step on their stuff they have scattered on the floor, cleaning the bathroom which looked like 5 people were in there all at once. Tonnes of recycling and garbage strewn about not realizing there were garbage cans provided for them. etc. etc.
Construction workers ... had to change the sheets a lot because some of them I don't think changed their clothes before hopping into bed. Rooms would smell like sweaty men. I admire their hard work of course, but didn't much like cleaning their rooms, lol. The worst was one room where after check out left 11 cases of beer (not in their cases of course), lots of recycling etc. Maintence guy came up to help me clear everything out, there was no way I could have cleaned it in 30 minutes.
But for making beds, I always did unless they made it themselves. Even then I would straighten it out a bit. If they had their stuff on it I would still make it without touching anything if I could. If I had to move things, I would put it right back the exact way. I never came across anything 'personal'. Nobody to my knowledge complained. Had some nice tips :)

We too like to stay ahead of any problems like wet towels etc and usually tell guests that at breakfast we will be checking their room at some point during the day.
If they indicate that they will be hanging around most of the day, I will usually let them know that I'll be around after breakfast to take out the trash and give them fresh towels. If someone does not want me in the room, I'll defer and hope for the best. Usually, they'll hand be damp towels in exchange for dry ones. I always ask if everything is okay with their room. Sometimes they will volunteer that something was spilled or broken etc., and it's quickly dealt with.
As for items on the bed, since they know we'll be in the room to straighten up, we'll remove items, make the bed then replace the items to their original location. So far, not complaints. If they make the bed, which they often do, depending on how well it was made, we may leave it alone.
Because we're on a septic system, we provide sanitary bags for the disposal of feminine products, condoms, q-tips etc. Most of the time, when these bags are used, the guests will take out the trash and put in the large trash receptacle we have near the cabins. That's why I always put an empty bag in the bottom of the trash bin for replacement.

We have a welcome binder that we have opened and resting against the bed pillow, which has the first thing in bold informing them about housekeeping. If they leave by noon, we will go in and freshen, but if they leave after noon, we will not go in but they can call us if they ever need any fresh towels, etc.
We won't make the bed if there is a bunch of crap on the bed or electronics.
Fortunately, we have never been accused of taking anything or breaking anything or even touching anything.
CH, it sounds like there's a terrible situation that's happening.
pita.gif

At times when I knocked on the door the guests were still in their room. They would either tell me that they will be leaving soon and would like their room made up, or that they are fine for the day, or would just like some fresh towels (give me the wet ones), more coffee etc.

Answering my own questions here for all:
We have a short facts sheet in a table tent next to the TV, the notice states Housekeeping between 12 and 2, if you prefer no service please use the DND (writen out). On the DND door tag it states the same. It is also stated in our guest room book.
If at all possible I will leave things on the bed and work around them to straighten the bed. If they are not personal items, I will remove and place back on the bed how I found them. If the bed is beyond help, I don't try!

My story in brief:
Started out a wonderful stay, great guests. They are B&B goers (can't blame it on that) and mentioned a place they have stayed and how they love it. etc. All going well...
Fast forward to this morning ~ 1hr before check out. He comes to find us asking if we found this one item. Said he left it in the middle of the bed yesterday. Said he had no idea we would go in their room. Much more said. Accusation was the tone he used.
I offered to come help them look which he brushed off, but I did tell him a couple of places he should look (places I have found things in the past). I was deeply hurt by this and DH had even said, 'we have no reason to take .....' Not once did he mention it last night when we saw them or this morning at breakfast. And no that item was not on the bed when I made it, unless it was mixed in with the pile of comforter and quilt they had on the bed. Then it could have been missplaced when I straightened all of that, but not intentional if done.
When they left, they did say they found it, nothing else and a cold goodbye. Just saddens me that a great stay can easily be soured for no reason.
But happily just a little while ago I received a nice email from a couple that stayed a couple of weeks ago. I am all better now.
regular_smile.gif

I like my room to be neatened when I'm on vacay. Makes for a more pleasant stay..
Madeleine said:
When I worked in the hotel, I always loved the business people who stayed during the week. There were times when I walked in the room and thought they might have checked out early, but then I would see their suitcase sitting neatly in the corner.
Weekends guests were mainly there for vacation etc. and their rooms were not like the business people at all, and took so much longer to tidy up. Trying to make their beds while trying not to step on their stuff they have scattered on the floor, cleaning the bathroom which looked like 5 people were in there all at once. Tonnes of recycling and garbage strewn about not realizing there were garbage cans provided for them. etc. etc.
Construction workers ... had to change the sheets a lot because some of them I don't think changed their clothes before hopping into bed. Rooms would smell like sweaty men. I admire their hard work of course, but didn't much like cleaning their rooms, lol. The worst was one room where after check out left 11 cases of beer (not in their cases of course), lots of recycling etc. Maintence guy came up to help me clear everything out, there was no way I could have cleaned it in 30 minutes.
But for making beds, I always did unless they made it themselves. Even then I would straighten it out a bit. If they had their stuff on it I would still make it without touching anything if I could. If I had to move things, I would put it right back the exact way. I never came across anything 'personal'. Nobody to my knowledge complained. Had some nice tips :)
we had a workman who did this (got into bed with clothes on) our chamber maid was really upset at first as all the change had fallen out of his pockets into the bed and she thought it was some kind of honesty test! therefore was very insulted! explained that it was likely he had just gotten into bed fully clothed and everything had fallen out.

I have had guests call or e-mail asking if something was found in the room - and yes one was accusitory about a ring. I ask my guests if they need maid service because #1 - I know many people do not like someone in their room #2 - I do not want to be accused of taking something and #3 - if they say all is oK, I do not have to climb the stairs! It is another reason I do not use a vac if doing up a room on a multi-night stay - I do not want to chance sucking up a dropped earring that they may not even realize was dropped. I was asked - a couple days after leaving - if I found an earring and I said no. That one I had in-coming the day of departure and vaccuumed etc. I am not about to go thruogh a vac bag looking for an earring.
I lost a diamond stud earring when we were scraping wallpaper off after we moved in - I had forgotten I was wearing them. DH noticed one missing. I started to look through the garbage bag and then said - it was neither my husband nor one of my kids. It was a rock and it was insured so I called my insurance man, reported it lost, and they replaced it.

i just stayed two nights at a big inn.
i hung the card on the door 'privacy please' and they slipped a note under the door saying they tidy the rooms up until noon but did not attempt to enter because of the card. to call if i needed anything ...
i liked that.
but didn't need a thing.
if i'd stayed a third night, i'd have been happy to have them take the trash and give me some new towels.
i didn't leave a mess ... but i left a tip.
regular_smile.gif
remembering how happy it made whoever was cleaning the room feel to get one!

i hung the card on the door 'privacy please' and they slipped a note under the door saying they tidy the rooms up until noon but did not attempt to enter because of the card. to call if i needed anything ...
i liked that.
but didn't need a thing.
if i'd stayed a third night, i'd have been happy to have them take the trash and give me some new towels.
regular_smile.gif
remembering how happy it made whoever was cleaning the room feel to get one!.
That's a great way for them to do it. You can call to get what you need and they're not leaving a ton of stuff on the doorknob that you don't need.

i liked that.
but didn't need a thing.
regular_smile.gif
remembering how happy it made whoever was cleaning the room feel to get one!.
SS, I like that they left you a note under the door also. That's what we used to do...but our note also said that we'd be back to do turndown service unless their privacy sign was still on the door.
regular_smile.gif

I left their breakfast time request form on their door right by the lock when we freshened the room though because I didn't want them to miss it!!

Back