Housekeeping.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camge

Reaction score
Hi all I need some advice. I struggle with fluffing rooms. For example ,today, I fluffed 3 of our 4 rooms and did other work for a while waiting for the guests in the final room to leave and I could finish up. So their car is in the parking lot, but that doesent mean anything since we are in a walkable beach town. I waited 2+ hours and figured I'd knock so I knocked, no answer. Something told me to knock again and I got a grudging," we are trying to sleep. " I said "sorry housekeeping I will come back later." Do you all use those do not disturb/ make up my room door hangers? I can't wait around all day. It was after noon when I knocked. They were at breakfast. Thanks

I tried the hangers but they were seldom used or some guests never wanted housekeeping during the stay. Some feel it's intrusive.
If someone is in their room sleeping in, no problem ... no fluff.
I had it in our policy list on the inside of the door. In big letters ...
If room is occupied from 11 am to 1 pm (our housekeeping hours) when rooms are freshened, we will leave towels outside the door. I had baskets with fresh towels, tp, etc. and we would simply leave them outside the door.
At first I was concerned about not freshening a room but if the guest doesn't want it, so be it.

We have a 3 hanger system designed by me
(1) RED - no housekeeping today - ie to make them understand you put that out we will not come in all day - to many were putting them out (when it was do not disturb) and then taking them in later - its a 1 time decision people.
(2) Pink - Quick Spritz - says on it - empty trash, toilet roll, tea tray filled and toiletries filled - ie quick whip round
(3) Green - full service.
Its mainly the pink one I wanted as most people don't really want a full service so it speeds my cleaners up if they don't have to do everything every day.
Also wanted them 1 sided as you always get one fricking joker who turns ready for service to do not disturb and so on - yup cos that's hilarious for the housekeeping staff. Also colours mean you don't have to read them to be sure. Also out them out in a spread on the desk and say for multiple night checkins -"please use your hangers every day so the housekeepers know what you want them to do"

We did same. If they were in the room we never bothered them.just make sure they know at check in what the others policy is. Don't depend on them to read it LOL! Though a well placed note would be good.

I ask if they want maid service as I would not enter their home without permission. I rarely have more than 2-nights and it saves my knees a lot of stair climbing. The ONLY time the room would have been disastrous was a 1-nighter pissed off because I was charging him that night of his 3-night reservation he was cancelling on arrival.
I have been blessed with guests who were respectful of me and my home.

We did same. If they were in the room we never bothered them.just make sure they know at check in what the others policy is. Don't depend on them to read it LOL! Though a well placed note would be good..
The problem though is ,how do you know if they are or are not in their room. People walk here, and can leave without moving their or or us knowing. Fluffs with clean towels and bed survice is expected here.

We have contemplated going to the signs, but haven't. I do have the electronic locks (that log when they are locked) and a camera at the entrance.

We did same. If they were in the room we never bothered them.just make sure they know at check in what the others policy is. Don't depend on them to read it LOL! Though a well placed note would be good..
The problem though is ,how do you know if they are or are not in their room. People walk here, and can leave without moving their or or us knowing. Fluffs with clean towels and bed survice is expected here.
All you can do is Knock and hope for a reply or gave a clean the room hangar for doorknob and TELL THEM TO USE IT.
It should not say " do not disturb" it should say "please clean room"

We went to door hanger signs. We offer refreshing only until 12:00 noon. Our signs basically say no refreshing needed. They tend to use them as do not disturb signs. Our guests tend to veg out in their rooms and I got tired of waiting all day for them to leave. It's worked really well for us.

NE They got one time offer. They can refuse service or can stop downstairs on their way out and we'll send someone up to take care of it.

Back