How About Some Good Guest Stories?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
I'll start with one:
I had a guest this past week that asked if I would have some time in my schedule one afternoon to play some cards and the condition was that I would NOT refresh their room. Moi? Twist my arm :) Had a great afternoon playing cards and getting to know a guest better and the guest appreciated the company that day. The best part is that they came as guests and left as friends! This was truly a gift....
Please share a recent story about a GREAT guest!

This is sort of a guest story - it is the fact that when I do very little in the way of what I would call extra attention the guests seem to think we are doing so much for them.
I am always amazed when I go into the room after check out and the guest has SHOPPED for a hallmark card and left it with their many thank you's to us. A lump lodges itself in my throat at this. Every time. They spent part of THEIR time away to shop for a card for us. It blesses me every time!
Last week a young couple from Kentucky did this. They really appreciated - just being treated nice! (I have them all in a plastic sleeve in my desk drawer here, when it gets full I move them to a binder. I will cherish these forever!)
You know me and my "dragons and kindness stories". They come in from their day to day fighting dragons and someone is kind to them and it overwhelms them. They go on and on with noone really ever being kind to them, months maybe years!
You also know me, the one who has been to many many B&B's, many times on special occasions (before owning an Inn) and never had an innkeeper EVER give us a card, an upgrade, a flower in our room, any token or mention of our anniversary or birthday whatsoever.
Now when I see what YOU ALL DO and have experienced it myself it makes me smile. So I know the guests just love it!
I have had innkeepers say to us at check in "The suite is available if you would like it." pause "It is only $35 more" pause. The suite being a room with jacuzzi in the corner of the room, no thanks, I will pass. So they OFFER an upgrade so they can make more money $.
Pat yourselves on the back, you deserve it folks, you excel! I will say it again and again -- No matter what the building itself is like, it is the innkeepers who make the stay special.
Guests yesterday mentioned the many B&B's in NC and they are left unattended by the innkeepers. I hear this so often. It doesn't take much does it!

This is sort of a guest story - it is the fact that when I do very little in the way of what I would call extra attention the guests seem to think we are doing so much for them.
I am always amazed when I go into the room after check out and the guest has SHOPPED for a hallmark card and left it with their many thank you's to us. A lump lodges itself in my throat at this. Every time. They spent part of THEIR time away to shop for a card for us. It blesses me every time!
Last week a young couple from Kentucky did this. They really appreciated - just being treated nice! (I have them all in a plastic sleeve in my desk drawer here, when it gets full I move them to a binder. I will cherish these forever!)
You know me and my "dragons and kindness stories". They come in from their day to day fighting dragons and someone is kind to them and it overwhelms them. They go on and on with noone really ever being kind to them, months maybe years!
You also know me, the one who has been to many many B&B's, many times on special occasions (before owning an Inn) and never had an innkeeper EVER give us a card, an upgrade, a flower in our room, any token or mention of our anniversary or birthday whatsoever.
Now when I see what YOU ALL DO and have experienced it myself it makes me smile. So I know the guests just love it!
I have had innkeepers say to us at check in "The suite is available if you would like it." pause "It is only $35 more" pause. The suite being a room with jacuzzi in the corner of the room, no thanks, I will pass. So they OFFER an upgrade so they can make more money $.
Pat yourselves on the back, you deserve it folks, you excel! I will say it again and again -- No matter what the building itself is like, it is the innkeepers who make the stay special.
Guests yesterday mentioned the many B&B's in NC and they are left unattended by the innkeepers. I hear this so often. It doesn't take much does it!.
Thanks...and right back at ya! The guests that I mentioned did just what you talked about, too! There was a thank you card in the room and inside was a tip. Well.....needless to say the tip was totally unexpected!! She gave me the gift of an afternoon off which was tip enough. I got verklempt reading the card.....
The absolute best part of my job is these unexpected surprises. Which is why after all the PITA stories and other postings about aggravating guests that I thought it would do us all good to hear the brighter side of innkeeping. :)

This one is a few months old, but we had just brought Lola home and had her less a month, so we're talking about barely a three month old puppy.
These are our intensely gluten intolerant folks and so they had stayed here before during our dogless 1.5 years and could see the new spark in our eyes about Lola that hadn't been there before.
On their way out, they presented her with the mini version of that tennis ball chucker thingy and us with our usual big hugs, a wonderful bottle of wine and a nice thank you card.

This one is a few months old, but we had just brought Lola home and had her less a month, so we're talking about barely a three month old puppy.
These are our intensely gluten intolerant folks and so they had stayed here before during our dogless 1.5 years and could see the new spark in our eyes about Lola that hadn't been there before.
On their way out, they presented her with the mini version of that tennis ball chucker thingy and us with our usual big hugs, a wonderful bottle of wine and a nice thank you card..
Awwwwwwwwwww! That is a wonderful story!

Most of our guests are pretty wonderful.
This past Thursday we held our first wedding here. It was very small, only 8 people, but perfect for us. It could not have been any better and they could not have been any more appreciative. From start to finish they commented on every detail, no matter how small, and made us feel on top of the world. These are the type of guests that we love. I know this union will be blessed and we love that we were able to be a part of their new life together. I hope they come back every year for their anniversary and bring their families with them!

Guest left me a copy of her book and told me to call her when I'm done writing my saga. She knows people.
4 'non-guests' in the past week wailed when I told them we were full each of the different nights they wanted to stay. (All repeats)
Woman who wanted to cancel 4 rooms on Tuesday (but showed up anyway) just booked the same rooms for next year. Very happy with the accommodations.
It's been a good week.

This past week's good guests were a trio of sisters and they were easily the most interesting, pleasant and easy to please guests we've had in a long while. One didn't speak a word of english, but you'd hardly know it the way they engaged with us, most of the other guests and especially Lola.
That was the same weekend we had a real sour puss of a guest and they were the perfect antidote to her. That in of itself was worth the price of admission to have them stay here.
We learned that they all have huge pieces of land and estates, two of which are in what looks like a gorgeous part of Mexico and they all have at least six dogs each. The way they used Lola to salve their missing their own packs, was very touching and she just ate up all that attention.
All three just lit up whatever room they walked into, they "got it" instantly about what we're all about and the kind of place we've created and they made our jobs so effortless even with the stinker for one night that we barely even noticed that one had been here.
All that wonderful energy was freely flowing and we can't think of a nicer gift than what they "gave" us. These are very well traveled, sophisticated women of high means, but they embraced us with a fervor and sincerity that just blew us away.
I know that I moan and groan a lot here, but for the most part we really do get an awful lot of these type of unique, wonderful and really interesting guests.

This past week's good guests were a trio of sisters and they were easily the most interesting, pleasant and easy to please guests we've had in a long while. One didn't speak a word of english, but you'd hardly know it the way they engaged with us, most of the other guests and especially Lola.
That was the same weekend we had a real sour puss of a guest and they were the perfect antidote to her. That in of itself was worth the price of admission to have them stay here.
We learned that they all have huge pieces of land and estates, two of which are in what looks like a gorgeous part of Mexico and they all have at least six dogs each. The way they used Lola to salve their missing their own packs, was very touching and she just ate up all that attention.
All three just lit up whatever room they walked into, they "got it" instantly about what we're all about and the kind of place we've created and they made our jobs so effortless even with the stinker for one night that we barely even noticed that one had been here.
All that wonderful energy was freely flowing and we can't think of a nicer gift than what they "gave" us. These are very well traveled, sophisticated women of high means, but they embraced us with a fervor and sincerity that just blew us away.
I know that I moan and groan a lot here, but for the most part we really do get an awful lot of these type of unique, wonderful and really interesting guests..
Glad to hear that you don't get just the stinkers!
wink_smile.gif

While the truly great guests are too many to count, I can relate a story from this weekend. One of our couples was very young, and very quiet...really kept to themselves and she did all of the talking. Took nearly the entire first evening to realize that he was deaf & mute. He did come out of his shell by this morning, and was signing jokes for her to tell everyone...and cracking them up!
This morning after they checked out, their room journal had a two page note (from him) raving about the inn...and a perfectly detailed ink sketch of the house! What an awesome thing...god I love our guests.

We have a week end and week full of one night stays - the work load is out of control right now. This morning all six one night stays checked out and four of the six I noticed had made their beds and took their trash with them. Noting the others were not messy at all (just didn't make the bed). But I thought that a great compliment to our house and BnB to be so respectful.
Each and every room personally told us how much they loved their stay. We had two breakfast seatings and both were full of fun and laughs (my favorite part of the guests stay). All this and no one was over 40. The oldest was 40 as he was celebrating his 40th here. One babymoon, one anniversary, one couple from Canada dropping off son at friend's house, one from midwest on vacation, another just on a spur of the moment getaway.

While the truly great guests are too many to count, I can relate a story from this weekend. One of our couples was very young, and very quiet...really kept to themselves and she did all of the talking. Took nearly the entire first evening to realize that he was deaf & mute. He did come out of his shell by this morning, and was signing jokes for her to tell everyone...and cracking them up!
This morning after they checked out, their room journal had a two page note (from him) raving about the inn...and a perfectly detailed ink sketch of the house! What an awesome thing...god I love our guests..
Awesome!!

I just had a wonderful 92 year old woman stay with us. Her daughter and son-in-law were in a second room. She said she had never felt so special before in all her life. She's just a little spitfire not even 5 ft tall.
This same weekend I had my 88 year old uncle & his son staying with us. They were here to visit my 84 year old mother. They haven't seen each other for a year and a half, because I've moved my mother from a different state to be closer to me. What a wonderful day we all had yesterday being together. I kept looking at the happy beaming faces of these two siblings, knowing that it might be the last time they ever see each other.
Cherished moments were had by all this weekend.
Joe had the young ones and my place turned into a geriatic haven. Gotta love 'em all.

I just had a wonderful 92 year old woman stay with us. Her daughter and son-in-law were in a second room. She said she had never felt so special before in all her life. She's just a little spitfire not even 5 ft tall.
This same weekend I had my 88 year old uncle & his son staying with us. They were here to visit my 84 year old mother. They haven't seen each other for a year and a half, because I've moved my mother from a different state to be closer to me. What a wonderful day we all had yesterday being together. I kept looking at the happy beaming faces of these two siblings, knowing that it might be the last time they ever see each other.
Joe had the young ones and my place turned into a geriatic haven. Gotta love 'em all..
Isn't it great that we can accommodate such a range in guests? :)

Joe had the young ones and my place turned into a geriatic haven. Gotta love 'em all..
Samster said:
Yup.
What a range. Sheesh!
I'm not about to rain on this lovefest, but our last four days is described in the "When neighbors come asking favors" thread.

Samster said:
Yup.
What a range. Sheesh!
I'm not about to rain on this lovefest, but our last four days is described in the "When neighbors come asking favors" thread.
Thanks for not hijacking this thread :)

This morning after they checked out, their room journal had a two page note (from him) raving about the inn...and a perfectly detailed ink sketch of the house! What an awesome thing...god I love our guests..
Little Blue said:
This morning after they checked out, their room journal had a two page note (from him) raving about the inn...and a perfectly detailed ink sketch of the house! What an awesome thing...god I love our guests.
O.K. This is a hijacking....sometimes I wish I could be mute so that I don't have to hear myself talk. I get so tired of small chit chat with guests that I want to scream! I crave long, intense, personal, meaty conversations with friends and family. Politics, religion, life, death, anything of substance! Don't get me wrong, I have great conversations with my guests gut they don't know ME and I don't know THEM, so it's all on a superficial level. Give me dinner, a glass of wine, a room full of interesting conversationalists and I am in heaven!

Breakfast Diva said:
I just had a wonderful 92 year old woman stay with us....This same weekend I had my 88 year old uncle & his son staying with us. They were here to visit my 84 year old mother.....my place turned into a geriatic haven. Gotta love 'em all.
Has anyone here ever had a guest die on them?
whattha.gif
That could wreck a weekend!

Little Blue said:
O.K. This is a hijacking....sometimes I wish I could be mute so that I don't have to hear myself talk. I get so tired of small chit chat with guests that I want to scream! I crave long, intense, personal, meaty conversations with friends and family. Politics, religion, life, death, anything of substance! Don't get me wrong, I have great conversations with my guests gut they don't know ME and I don't know THEM, so it's all on a superficial level. Give me dinner, a glass of wine, a room full of interesting conversationalists and I am in heaven!
Come up here...that's the conversation every morning over coffee (mostly before the main breakfast crowd shows up) and then again after brekkie when everyone is hanging out with coffee. We had one guy here who is coming back next year because of the meaty conversation. He kept telling his daughter, 'Book this place again next year, this guy is a good talker.'
Superficial and my eyes glaze over, too. Chit chat is not my strong point.

Breakfast Diva said:
I just had a wonderful 92 year old woman stay with us....This same weekend I had my 88 year old uncle & his son staying with us. They were here to visit my 84 year old mother.....my place turned into a geriatic haven. Gotta love 'em all.
Has anyone here ever had a guest die on them?
whattha.gif
That could wreck a weekend!
Please start a new thread. This negativity is really starting to get to me!! Yeesch....

Back