How accurate are your B&B.com statistics?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Just got the quarterly email that B&B.com sends with statistics. Does anyone compare with their own tracking to see how consistent they are?

I had 64 click thrus from them to my website it said for May 2011. That's doesn't sound that great to me. But we are not full right now anyway...

I had 64 click thrus from them to my website it said for May 2011. That's doesn't sound that great to me. But we are not full right now anyway....
But I'm wondering how the figures they come up with compare with your own analytics...

I know ours are WAY off. Inflated from B&B.com's side. Inside analytics show far fewer EVERYTHING (clicks, click-thrus, views).

I had 64 click thrus from them to my website it said for May 2011. That's doesn't sound that great to me. But we are not full right now anyway....
But I'm wondering how the figures they come up with compare with your own analytics...
I don't bother cross-referencing them. They were never close back when I did. Because I don't care about their sales pitch it doesn't matter to me what they say I'm getting. What matters is what I see from GA because that is mostly consistent across all the directories. THAT'S comparing apples to apples.

Thanks, my assumption was that they would inflate the numbers. The thing that stuck out is that more than 90% of people who looked at our detailed listing clicked through to our website. So regardless of volume, I hope that percentage is true.

We don't cross-reference, either, but I thought this was very weird (from Willow):
So far this year, 1019 visitors have found your property on BedandBreakfast.com! 1197 have left our site to go directly to your website
How can more people leave the site to come to my site than went to the BB.com website in the first place???
confused_smile.gif

Mine don't match Google Anslytics reports at all.
[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]Riki [/COLOR]

We don't cross-reference, either, but I thought this was very weird (from Willow):
So far this year, 1019 visitors have found your property on BedandBreakfast.com! 1197 have left our site to go directly to your website
How can more people leave the site to come to my site than went to the BB.com website in the first place???
confused_smile.gif
that would be a very good question!

This is interesting because we have always been reluctant to provide stats. We have always wanted the B&B owners to rely on their own stats.

On my side, on the last 5 month, I received 558 on my website (Google Analytics) while they claimed to send me 724. Theirs are overstated by more that 20%. Or may be mines are understated by 20%.
As there is not clear standard as to what is considered a clickthru and as each statitistics tool has its own imperfections, it is difficult to say who is right.
Statistics tools are good at comparing different origins as long numbers are generated by the same tool. But 2 tools will always be different.
What I find most interesting about links from b&b.com is that they have quite high levels of page views & time spent and a low level of single pages visits. Seems like pertinent visits.
But still not so many confirmed bookings. Not sure it is worth the 175€ they ask for a full year.

This is interesting because we have always been reluctant to provide stats. We have always wanted the B&B owners to rely on their own stats..
Please forgive me if this is an ignorant question; we are aspiring innkeepers and are learning as much as we can but there is so much we don't know yet. Living and traveling primarily in the midwest, we don't see much of P&P. I came across it last year or the year before but don't notice it coming up on the first page or two of a Google search when I am making plans to travel or investigating areas we are "shopping" in - usually in the midwest; IL, MI, WI, OH, MO, IN, MN, etc. Is your site geographically specific to another region of the country or to a specific customer base?

Back