How best to word "Book It"?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
If you are (as a guest) looking at a website for a lovely B&B that you are thinking of stay at, what wording would you want to see for an online reservation option:
Does "Book Now" sound too pushy? Does "Check Availability" sound too soft? Combo of both? What about "Book It"? "Online Availability"
The discussion came up at work that we need to sell the online reso system a little more: better placement on the page, different wording maybe. But we aren't sure what to word it. Currently, it's "check availability" I, personally, would like to see a little more of an action-sounding wording, but my boss, doesn't want people to feel as though if they click on the box to "Book Now" they won't be able to change their mind or get back out of it.
I guess I am looking for suggestions with explanations. Thanks

If your boss feel "book it" is too pushy, how about "online booking" or "hey, what are you waiting on???! Book it!".

I prefer "Check Availabilty", Book Now, etc just sounds contrived to me...like some false enthusiasm. Honestly, I don't think it matters.

I prefer "Check Availabilty", Book Now, etc just sounds contrived to me...like some false enthusiasm. Honestly, I don't think it matters..
InnsiderInfo said:
I prefer "Check Availabilty", Book Now, etc just sounds contrived to me...like some false enthusiasm. Honestly, I don't think it matters.
Yes BOOK HERE is a good term as well. Obv we want them to be as short as possible to be seen. I still have a Reservations tab and then BOOK HERE on each rooms page at the bottom. Whatever you use make it visible on every single page. Clickable everywhere.

I like "BOOK HERE" as JOE B. suggested.
It’s not too pushy but still has the “call to action” inside. Here in the company I’m working for, we do a lot of direct mailings and on each envelop are at least two “interferer” one who says “open here” or “open now” and one who refers to an offer inside the mailing, like “10day cruise beginning at € 199,-“

You could actually have both if you want and you have room. Of course they both go to the same place, but if your boss thinks "book it" is too strong, have a "check availability" button and also a "book it" button. Double the pleasure, double the fun!

This topic comes up often for me. One thing I have to remind innkeepers of is that "book" is primarily innkeeper talk. It is a word we are so used to that we think everybody else uses it routinely too. I'd go with "Check availability" or "Reserve now" or something that has more assured meaning rather than a colloquialism that is not as common as we might assume.

This topic comes up often for me. One thing I have to remind innkeepers of is that "book" is primarily innkeeper talk. It is a word we are so used to that we think everybody else uses it routinely too. I'd go with "Check availability" or "Reserve now" or something that has more assured meaning rather than a colloquialism that is not as common as we might assume..
swirt said:
This topic comes up often for me. One thing I have to remind innkeepers of is that "book" is primarily innkeeper talk. It is a word we are so used to that we think everybody else uses it routinely too. I'd go with "Check availability" or "Reserve now" or something that has more assured meaning rather than a colloquialism that is not as common as we might assume.
"En suite" is also innkeeper speak. Lots of people have no idea what that means.
=)
Kk.

This topic comes up often for me. One thing I have to remind innkeepers of is that "book" is primarily innkeeper talk. It is a word we are so used to that we think everybody else uses it routinely too. I'd go with "Check availability" or "Reserve now" or something that has more assured meaning rather than a colloquialism that is not as common as we might assume..
THe only thing I think of when I hear it is "Book'em Dano!"

catlady said:
I almost used that as the title to this thread, but I thought I'd get a lot of "I don't get what this title is about" or "I don't understand the title of this thread"...so I kept it simple :)

swirt said:
"En suite" is also innkeeper speak. Lots of people have no idea what that means.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
swirt said:
=)
Kk.
ensuite is British speak.

catlady said:
BOOK means to leave in my "book"
wink_smile.gif

It doesn't mean to stay.

Having been in advertising, the rule I learned is that you have to be somewhat assertive in your approach when selling something. It's not "false enthusiasm". If you're not enthusiastic about your product, how do you expect the buying public to be.
If you give the customer a choice between your product and another, then the chances of them choosing you drops dramatically. Look at advertising around you. Do they say "shop around if you want to, but we hope you'll pick us" No. They say "Pick us. Now!"
"Book It Now" or "Reserve Now" have a sense of excitement and urgency, and yes, enthusiasm. You can reword the phrase, but you basically have to tell your potential customer what they should do. You give them a choice, they may not choose you.

I agree with Swirt
I like using the word "reserve". I like to think that it brings up in the guest's mind that the experience is something special and that they had better set their time aside in advance or run the risk of losing it. Like getting dinner reservations.
"book it" makes me think that I can do it anytime, no thought about the fact that someone else might reserve it before I can. "I'll come back and book it another time"...

swirt said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
swirt said:
=)
Kk.
Joe Bloggs said:
YellowSocks said:
swirt said:
=)
Kk.
It's actually French
You're right about a lot of people not knowing what it means. I took it off all descriptions about a year after buying our inn. I kept having to say "yes, we have private baths".

swirt said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
swirt said:
=)
Kk.
The first time I saw ensuite listed on a B&B listing I thought it meant the bathroom was actually IN the room
embaressed_smile.gif
. I think it was because I was looking at a listing one time and the bathroom was in the room with a curtain surrounding it as the walls & door.....
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
YUCK!

Back