How busy is enough?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I really roll with the punches in this business. I do everything I can. Some days it is just too much and I am totally exhausted. It allows no time for anything more. I made the mistake of going to something last night and today I wish I hadn't. It was just for a few hours. I wish I had used that time to sleep.
I often think of you with high occupancy and do not know how you do it. Our occupancy is obviousely busier in the busier months and it wears me out.
We had Tues with no guests and someone was saying "Oh you get a day off" I worked all day well into the night - guests were HERE tues, checked out and then it never stopped.
Are you as busy as you can handle or can you handle more?
I need to try to hire someone again, it is so much hassle and never seems to work out.

We are sometimes busier on our "days off" than we are when we have guests. With guests we get the room ready, greet, and breakfast in the morning. Once they leave, it is not only flip the room but the mountain of laundry to get done, the dishes to do, the ironing..... and then if more guests tonight? hooboy!
I am sooo sorry that the event you chose to attend was not something that was worth losing the sleep for. When I have those, it is usually something I went to with DH because he wanted to go. I have one of those this weekend. Guests with a dinner Saturday, breakfast Sunday and then after putting away anything that could rit, stink, or spoil and stacking neatly in the kitchen, we will be going 140 miles north for a BSA Owners meet, come back Sunday night, and I will be making breakfast in the morning before the guests leave. (Now that he is on 2 crutches, DH will not go places alone.)
I hope you can get a nap today even though it is probably realistically impossible. All I can do is send you this ((hug)).

We are sometimes busier on our "days off" than we are when we have guests. With guests we get the room ready, greet, and breakfast in the morning. Once they leave, it is not only flip the room but the mountain of laundry to get done, the dishes to do, the ironing..... and then if more guests tonight? hooboy!
I am sooo sorry that the event you chose to attend was not something that was worth losing the sleep for. When I have those, it is usually something I went to with DH because he wanted to go. I have one of those this weekend. Guests with a dinner Saturday, breakfast Sunday and then after putting away anything that could rit, stink, or spoil and stacking neatly in the kitchen, we will be going 140 miles north for a BSA Owners meet, come back Sunday night, and I will be making breakfast in the morning before the guests leave. (Now that he is on 2 crutches, DH will not go places alone.)
I hope you can get a nap today even though it is probably realistically impossible. All I can do is send you this ((hug))..
gillumhouse said:
I hope you can get a nap today even though it is probably realistically impossible. All I can do is send you this ((hug)).
Instead of a hug, I think Joe could use some methyanphetamines.
smiley-whacky011.gif

If the pace of what you're doing is more than you can comfortably handle, then you need to scale back or you're going to burn yourself out! For your physical and mental health you need ME time. If you can't afford to hire some help, don't book more than you can comfortably handle. The amount you might have made will be eaten up by medical costs down the road if you don't.

We could be busier but we have help. Today we're on our own with 5 strips. But we could do more. We did it last summer with no help.
I need a day off, too. It's not the amount of work so much as the never having a minute to myself that does it.

Like I mentioned, I try to take at least one afternoon and go to the lake. This week is was on Sunday because I had too much going on on Monday to go. Well, that means dh came too. And hovered behind me. And informed me every time my line jerked a little. And was continually astonished when said line was reeled in with no fish. And then of course the kids had to hang near me because dh was near me. I wanted to scream, "Go away!!!!" I did finally convince him I needed to just sit quietly...
Last week I almost didn't go, but then I went anyway, even though we had a short time. Like PT said, some me time, and like Bree said, a minute to yourself. I'm a gregarious extrovert, but even I need some time alone once in a while. (Even now a boy is here, and would lean on me if I let him...)
ETA: I don't know if I could handle more. Probably not. But definitely not if I didn't have Monday afternoons and stimulus assistance.
=)
Kk.

Remember - you're like me...you essentially are dealing with everything yourself since your dh goes off to a more than full-time job every day!!! PLUS, you have a family too. You need to take these reservations now so that you can pay the bills. I know what you're saying...you seem to pay later for going to an event, even if you really enjoyed yourself. And we all know that one day off isn't really a day off :-(
You are a dynamo, so I know that you are tired. I don't know if it's possible for you to block out a day here and there, just to get caught up or if you need to take the biz. I would see if you could find someone to help with the housekeeping again. I know that even when my housekeeper doesn't do everything exactly like I want it, I remind myself that it's soooooooooooo much better than doing it all myself!
We need more biz right now to pay the bills but I am actually getting used to no guests. This is not good......

I need to try to hire someone again, it is so much hassle and never seems to work out.
At the begining of the season, when it's kinda slow, having help makes me grumpy. On a day when we could have had the 2 rooms stripped and done in an hour, I'm having to give direction to do more work because we feel we ought to at least give the person 2 hours of work.
However, having help now is wonderful. I know what you mean about help. There's so much more involved thatn doing it yourself, other than the actual work. But, there are 2 of us and even so I'm sitting here taking a break between room 4 & 5 because I am sweating and cranky and it's hot & humid and everything is that much harder. But, we'll be done by 11:30.
Everyone hit the road ASAP this morning and we started cleaning around 10.

At the begining of the season, when it's kinda slow, having help makes me grumpy. On a day when we could have had the 2 rooms stripped and done in an hour, I'm having to give direction to do more work because we feel we ought to at least give the person 2 hours of work.
However, having help now is wonderful. I know what you mean about help. There's so much more involved thatn doing it yourself, other than the actual work. But, there are 2 of us and even so I'm sitting here taking a break between room 4 & 5 because I am sweating and cranky and it's hot & humid and everything is that much harder. But, we'll be done by 11:30.
Everyone hit the road ASAP this morning and we started cleaning around 10..
Bree said:
Same here... when she first came I thought, hmmm, not very fast, but at least she's steady. Now, it's like, what am I ever going to do when she leaves to go back to school? She's as fast as I am now! I am getting soooo spoiled!!!!
=)
Kk.

Everyone hit the road ASAP this morning and we started cleaning around 10..
Bree said:
Same here... when she first came I thought, hmmm, not very fast, but at least she's steady. Now, it's like, what am I ever going to do when she leaves to go back to school? She's as fast as I am now! I am getting soooo spoiled!!!!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=)
Kk.
Whenever we get a TA review about cleanliness, I let her know she's getting us good reviews! And anyone 30 years younger than I is fast!
confused_smile.gif

Back