How come we can get better rates on FlipKey than TA?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Just got an email for a free trial of FlipKey and then a yearly rate of $238. How come that is so much less than getting a link and an email link from TA?

They're trying to boost their inventory on Flipkey to compete with Homeaway and VRBO. It's harder to get people to go there to write a review on a vacation rental, so they don't get the user-generated listings like they do on TA.
Or they're just trying to finance their own Super Bowl commercial next year...

Edit - That is cool so you can get the full listing with link for cheaper or they update the free one?

Edit - That is cool so you can get the full listing with link for cheaper or they update the free one?.
You get a different listing...it's on FlipKey, not the usual TA listing. So, it would show under the 'vacation rentals' tab, if there is one on your town's TA page. I do not know if they would then MOVE your inn listing to vacation rentals or leave that one where it is and add a second.

Because they don't have the same value.
www.alexa.com/siteinfo/flipkey.com site 16603, 9660th in the US
www.alexa.com/siteinfo/tripadvisor.com site 298, 138th in the US
Flipkey seems to be really popular in Mauritius, Costa Rica, Portugal... verus TripAdvisor which is popular in Tanzania, South Africa, Thailand....
Let's face it with being 138th in US, 146th in Canada, 270th in the UK, 278th in Portugal versus Flipkey's 9660th in the US, 8565th in Canada, 6483th in the UK and 2186th in Portugal, the values are VERY different.
But damn those people in Mauritius really want to get away!

Eric, I did the same thing but you get listed on TA also just where and how seems a bit vague.

Flipkey seems to be really popular in Mauritius, Costa Rica, Portugal... verus TripAdvisor which is popular in Tanzania, South Africa, Thailand....
Let's face it with being 138th in US, 146th in Canada, 270th in the UK, 278th in Portugal versus Flipkey's 9660th in the US, 8565th in Canada, 6483th in the UK and 2186th in Portugal, the values are VERY different.
But damn those people in Mauritius really want to get away!.
I find Alexa odd. If I have the Alexa toolbar and I access my own website 20x/day (because it's my home page) suddenly my site is running right up there with importance compared to other inns. It's not how 'important' a site ranks because all of that is manipulable. It's whether or not it brings me business.
Now TA may think they should charge more because they have more visibility than FlipKey, but if FlipKey brings me more biz for less outlay, who cares where they rank on Alexa?

I find Alexa odd. If I have the Alexa toolbar and I access my own website 20x/day (because it's my home page) suddenly my site is running right up there with importance compared to other inns. It's not how 'important' a site ranks because all of that is manipulable. It's whether or not it brings me business.
Now TA may think they should charge more because they have more visibility than FlipKey, but if FlipKey brings me more biz for less outlay, who cares where they rank on Alexa?
Alibi Ike said:
Now TA may think they should charge more because they have more visibility than FlipKey, but if FlipKey brings me more biz for less outlay, who cares where they rank on Alexa
Will a listing on FlipKey bring you business is the real question. People looking there are looking for vacation rentals - more space, more people, kids and pets, kitchen access, etc., and at a lower nightly rate. They won't want what I'm selling - that's me, personally. Your own mileage may vary.

Alibi Ike said:
Now TA may think they should charge more because they have more visibility than FlipKey, but if FlipKey brings me more biz for less outlay, who cares where they rank on Alexa
Will a listing on FlipKey bring you business is the real question. People looking there are looking for vacation rentals - more space, more people, kids and pets, kitchen access, etc., and at a lower nightly rate. They won't want what I'm selling - that's me, personally. Your own mileage may vary.
muirford said:
Alibi Ike said:
It was more a 'who cares what ranks on Alexa' rant. I'm getting a little tired of hearing 'Alexa ranks this and Alexa ranks that'. Because unless you're Google vs whatever, it really doesn't matter. I say that because my ranking on Alexa is around 3,000,000. At a certain point, it just isn't relevant info. Actually, my site ranks so poorly there is no data at all.
Altho, if you're Poly Styrene right now, you might be interested that yesterday no one knew who you were and today you're ranking as the top search according to Alexa.

Alexa can be manipulated if you are very small, but not on larger sites. It simply keeps track of those who have the toolbar and come to the site. So, if few people have the toolbar, then it doesn't register. But it does work for larger sites and it gives you a basic idea of the traffic.
Alibi Ike said:

Alibi Ike said:
muirford said:
Alibi Ike said:
It was more a 'who cares what ranks on Alexa' rant. I'm getting a little tired of hearing 'Alexa ranks this and Alexa ranks that'. Because unless you're Google vs whatever, it really doesn't matter. I say that because my ranking on Alexa is around 3,000,000. At a certain point, it just isn't relevant info. Actually, my site ranks so poorly there is no data at all.
Altho, if you're Poly Styrene right now, you might be interested that yesterday no one knew who you were and today you're ranking as the top search according to Alexa.
Alexa is just a general guideline. It's one of the only site that lets you see the data for others. Even they don't give much credence for the sites in the tens of thousands on the list. And there are more Asians using the toolbar than people in North America, so that skews the data. But it isn't like Google Analytics is going to let you see your competitor data.
There isn't much difference between Mr. 1,000,000 and Mr. 2,000,000. But there is a world of difference between Mr. 259 and Mr. 9,000. That's a lot to fake.

Back