How did the spammer do it?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Not wanting to make this into a primer for spamming us, but how did this last spammer selecet topics from a particular day? Can we search by date?

I knew something was up - all these January posts...what went on last night while I was sleeping?

swirt always says it's a robo-spammer, not a human. Maybe he can explain.

pls everyone don't resurrect all those spammed on threads unless you really want to. EVIL SPAM BOTS!

Their script (a robot) just started with node id 5400 and kept going up by one until it got to 5415. So it wasn't so much that they selected a date, it is just that the nodes get created sequentially. All the nodes created today will be 7700 and up so if in August some robot attacks and starts counting at 7700 then we'll be saying "how'd they manage to just select posts from November 2010?"
The spammer has been blocked and banned and all the spam removed. Thanks to everyone who flagged it so quickly.

swirt always says it's a robo-spammer, not a human. Maybe he can explain..
It would have to be a pretty bored human to spam our forum :-( Nothing but a bunch of robots...
please folks...as JB stated. Look at the date of a message before you respond. If it is from way back in Jan....don't bother to reply to it and bring all this old stuff up again. If you see an old date...you know spammers have been at work
cry_smile.gif

I don't understand the why behind it? What does anyone gain? What is the point?.
Links are to gain. Links are the flow of traffic on the internet. Many still think that Google and Bing (Yahoo now uses Bing so we are down to the big 2) respond to these kind of links, but the truth is they don't. They pretty much don't assign any value to user contributed links in comments.

Back