How do folks handle returning items left behind

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Toad_HLB

Reaction score
The occurrence of this topic seems to fluctuate quite a bit at our place. Additionally, what is the weirdest thing ever left behind?
How do most folks handle getting forgotten items back to the guest?
Do you proactively contact the guest or wait until they call?
If its small, like a phone charger, we'll just throw it in a packing envelope and eat it on the postage. Bigger stuff or really important stuff like a camera, yes, we've found them, we figure it out as we go.

I always try to contact them on their cell phone if I find what they left within a short period of their departure. Otherwise I send them an email that I found whatever it was and stick it in the mail to them. Unless it's underwear. That goes in the trash.

We never call - having heard over and over again the story of an innkeeper calling to return a size 6 nightie and a size 14 wife answered the phone.
If they call us, we package it up and send it. About half the time we actually get reimbursed for the postage; otherwise we eat it. We keep the uncalled for items in our lost and found and clear that out about once a year.

I always try to contact them on their cell phone if I find what they left within a short period of their departure. Otherwise I send them an email that I found whatever it was and stick it in the mail to them. Unless it's underwear. That goes in the trash..
I know there is a thread here somewhere ...we have discussed this previously at length.
If something really valuable..I will try to contact the guest. Otherwise, it just gets put in a box in case someone calls...or like you say..underwear gets trashed. We've had guests go out the door and leave their luggage behind!!! What were they thinking ????

I already mentioned our thong collection. Other than that we have very few things left behind. I always ask them before they leave if they have everything, especially cell phone chargers. The most left behind item. I try to quickly sweep the room before they leave the premises and if I find anything I can call them before they get too far away.
I've had a bracelet left behind which I mailed back and cheap luggage which they left on purpose. I donated that to charity.

We never call - having heard over and over again the story of an innkeeper calling to return a size 6 nightie and a size 14 wife answered the phone.
If they call us, we package it up and send it. About half the time we actually get reimbursed for the postage; otherwise we eat it. We keep the uncalled for items in our lost and found and clear that out about once a year..
"We never call - having heard over and over again the story of an innkeeper calling to return a size 6 nightie and a size 14 wife answered the phone."
Very good point!
If the item is innocuous and found immediately after they leave, we'll try the cell phone, but don't do much after that unless they call back.
Provocative items like the bag of "marital aids", marijuana and paraphenalia another guest found stuffed in the furthest corner of the bottom drawer of the dresser took a little more work to deal with.
The guest who left it, was only in the room one night and while we usually open all the drawers between stays to vacuum them and air out, we missed that one assuming nobody would even use the top drawers on a short stay like that.

If they call us, we package it up and send it. About half the time we actually get reimbursed for the postage; otherwise we eat it. We keep the uncalled for items in our lost and found and clear that out about once a year..
THE ONLY TIME I EVER CALLED.....
I had a woman leave behind beautiful diamond and sapphire earrings. I HAD to call her...She was from England...I knew where she was golng after they left .....so called her and she was so eternally grateful. I packaged them up and shipped to the B & B where she was staying several hours away from us. She called to let me know they arrived and that they were family heirlooms. She was heart sick when she couldn't find them. She reimbursed me generously.

False teeth. Didn't know anyone had them anymore. One of the only items we have ever been asked to return. Good thing as that is not something I wanted to look at longer than necessary. Some old geezer's chompers?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Otherwise our policy is to wait to be contacted. One month is the limit and then the items are sent to the Goodwill or to the local church for their sale.
Intimate items are thrown out. Marijuana? Best not to go there if you know what I mean.

I always try to contact them on their cell phone if I find what they left within a short period of their departure. Otherwise I send them an email that I found whatever it was and stick it in the mail to them. Unless it's underwear. That goes in the trash..
I know there is a thread here somewhere ...we have discussed this previously at length.
If something really valuable..I will try to contact the guest. Otherwise, it just gets put in a box in case someone calls...or like you say..underwear gets trashed. We've had guests go out the door and leave their luggage behind!!! What were they thinking ????
One trip back to Illinois I got a 3 hour snarl and cold shoulder because about an hour from the house I started a mental I have this and that and OMG the suitcase is in the dining room! He had made me move it for some teason the night before and it was not with the collection of items to load. We turned around & I ciyght a LOT of flack for that since packing and loading etc is MY job - he gets in the car and drives....

Country Girl said:
......Unless it's underwear. That goes in the trash.
Well I have news for you...they may even call for THAT!!! Yes, I too have always tossed the undies found and did so this time as well...Then the call came " my husband left his 'I
heart.gif
you boxers hanging in the bathroom could you please send them to us, these are sentimental' Well it required me to go out to the garbage and search for the trash bag from that room...Luckily there was nothing else yucky in that bag to dig through. Just what I wanted to touch AGAIN!!! No reimbersment, no thank you call or card and that was their 2nd stay.... I haven't seen them since, I think hub's may have been a little peeved (and embarrassed) that she called.
No, otherwise I do not call. I had a similar experience by calling regarding a nice necklace I found still in its box. Now, I will place the items in our 'lost and found' with date, room found and name of last guest. If they call great it can be sent home, if not, 6 months and it is garbage or charity. Oh, I do still toss the undies just so ya know. LOL

Back