How do I get pee out of a foam mattress?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
Had a 9 year old here last night and he wet the bed (folding cot, actually). I'll wash the bedding with baking soda or borax, but what about the mattress? It's a 4" foam mattress and soaked through in the middle. Any suggestions? (Other than don't take kids. Which I rarely do. And this is why.)

Oh God ...... Baking soda ... lots of it ..... water ..... not so much of it. Dry towel as much moisture as you can out of it. Repeat with lots of baking soda, and no water. Let it dry then vacuum. Flip and repeat. If you have some "pet stain" dry powder carpet cleaner, add that to the mix.
I had a much bigger "event", no child involved, that to this day I still don't believe was an accident. Above method worked perfectly.

Cleaning pee's of the carpet is one thing, it's not too deep. But a mattress ?
Honestly, I cleaned sooooo much of kids and pets pee in my lifetime, I would throw the mattress. Especially foam. Unless you want to try to hold it under running water (with a garden hose) and rinse it for a loooong time.
Yep, Waterproof mattress pads...that's the solution.

I once sold a new car due to dog barf.
Some materials just don't come out very well.
oops...my bad. dog

I would really think about throwing this away! But if not, I would use TTB's method then use Odoban to remove any remaining odor. This stuff works great - even seafood odors. - As if you haven't gotten the message - use waterproof mattress protectors & no more problems!

I would really think about throwing this away! But if not, I would use TTB's method then use Odoban to remove any remaining odor. This stuff works great - even seafood odors. - As if you haven't gotten the message - use waterproof mattress protectors & no more problems!.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm trying Tipsy's baking soda method and will see how it goes. If the odour comes out, great. If not, I'll replace the mattress ($150 I'd rather not spend).
The mattress cover is a thick, synthetic (polyester? nylon?) material, fully enclosing with zipper. Obviously not waterproof. I hate sleeping on waterproof, but I'll have to get something plastic to use with kids.
Turns out I'm also cleaning four spots on the carpet. The mom stripped the bedding and carried the cot downstairs, and I think the cover is water-repellent enough that some just rolled off onto the floor as she lifted it. Uhg.

I would really think about throwing this away! But if not, I would use TTB's method then use Odoban to remove any remaining odor. This stuff works great - even seafood odors. - As if you haven't gotten the message - use waterproof mattress protectors & no more problems!.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm trying Tipsy's baking soda method and will see how it goes. If the odour comes out, great. If not, I'll replace the mattress ($150 I'd rather not spend).
The mattress cover is a thick, synthetic (polyester? nylon?) material, fully enclosing with zipper. Obviously not waterproof. I hate sleeping on waterproof, but I'll have to get something plastic to use with kids.
Turns out I'm also cleaning four spots on the carpet. The mom stripped the bedding and carried the cot downstairs, and I think the cover is water-repellent enough that some just rolled off onto the floor as she lifted it. Uhg.
Look for waterproof matress covers that aren't plastic. There are some great ones on the market now. They are a breathable material (teflon coated I think?) that is waterproof.

I always hated those crunchy, crackling, noisy mattress covers when I traveled. Just the noise of them when you moved on them kept me awake at night. When I was outfitting my staterooms and I started looking for waterproof mattress covers, I kept that in mind. I wojld open them up in the store, stick my hand inside and scrunch it to see how it sounded. Finally, I found a nice quiet one, and of course, it was the most expensive one. And I bought them. They are on all my beds, even mine so I could see how it was - they're great. I got them at Wal*Mart of all places. All of my mattresses are custom sized/shaped, so I buy these and have to alter them. Same with sheets. Oh well...these are well worth it. But whatever you do, AVOID those plastic ones that sound like the old fashion diaper/rubber pants.

I always hated those crunchy, crackling, noisy mattress covers when I traveled. Just the noise of them when you moved on them kept me awake at night. When I was outfitting my staterooms and I started looking for waterproof mattress covers, I kept that in mind. I wojld open them up in the store, stick my hand inside and scrunch it to see how it sounded. Finally, I found a nice quiet one, and of course, it was the most expensive one. And I bought them. They are on all my beds, even mine so I could see how it was - they're great. I got them at Wal*Mart of all places. All of my mattresses are custom sized/shaped, so I buy these and have to alter them. Same with sheets. Oh well...these are well worth it. But whatever you do, AVOID those plastic ones that sound like the old fashion diaper/rubber pants..
I got mine at Kohls. Expensive, but not plastic sounding. I know they are out there. Heck I remember my mom putting some kind of rubber back flannel padding under my brother's sheets when we were growing up oh so many years ago. They must have something like that. Check home nursing supply company.

Hi, You may read this article all about of memory foam mattress here. I think this website will help you more.

Back