How do you answer weather questions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
When someone wants to know what the weather is going to be like in a few days or during the next month, what do you tell them? Had a call that will probably cancel if it's raining. How the heck do I know what the weather will be next week? Or even tomorrow? A weather system could stall here and it could rain for 2 weeks when the forecast is sunny. Or, vice versa.

Oh good grief...if they cancel due to rain..then you charge them!!! You have no control over the weather...what / who do they think you are? Make sure you tell them that weather cancellation will get them to forfeit a deposit and they will be charged!!!!

Tell them to check the weather channel forecast for your area, that's what I do when I'm going on vacation.

I always say we live in England so there is a 75% chance of rain at any given time! We did have a few cancellations in Jan due to Snow but it was exceptionally deep this year and they were comming from Scotland where it is worse so I let them off for Laundry and Food.

Try living in Hurricane Central and answering those types of questions. This is my response: "Oh my gosh...We have just been so busy that I honestly have not had time to see the forecast!" It's such a ridiculous question to ask, I don't know why people do it. If the weather is that important to someone with their travel plans, that should be a separate thing to check on - not incorporate it with their lodging plans!

I would not take the reservation without stressing your cancellation policy (hopefully it's far enough in advance). I would not let anyone out of their reservation just because of rain.Either that or not make the reservation and tell them they can make a reservation at the last minute, but their favorite room may not be available.
They are being ridiculous! PITA warning!

Tell them to toughen up!
Tell them to get real!
Tell them to bite the bullet!
Tell them...oh never mind...nearly every morning guests ask ME what the weather will be like? Uh I am in the kitchen cooking your meal, you were the one laying in bed watching the weather channel. or out on the porch with your coffee... (I mean, bless their hearts!)
Actually when asked, I always say "Better than Seattle"

I always say we live in England so there is a 75% chance of rain at any given time! We did have a few cancellations in Jan due to Snow but it was exceptionally deep this year and they were comming from Scotland where it is worse so I let them off for Laundry and Food..
I always say we live in England so there is a 75% chance of rain at any given time! We did have a few cancellations in Jan due to Snow but it was exceptionally deep this year and they were comming from Scotland where it is worse so I let them off for Laundry and Food.
We visited England several years ago. It is a given that it rains in the U.K. We did some rambling on the Cotswold Way and we wore rain gear most of the time. Oh, but wait! How did we know it was going to rain in England during our trip? Research. Simple Research.
I'll swear, some people are so damn lazy. They can't even watch the weather report on TV?

We answer that very question on our website under the FAQ (which, of course, they never read).
We verbally & in writing (in their confirmation email) clearly state our cancellation policy (30 days non-refundable 50% deposit & within 48 hours they are responsible for the full payment-we also suggest trip insurance as we say that since we are a small property we are unable to refund outside of our cancellation policy & there are NO EXCEPTIONS).
I always (cheerily) answer, "We can guarantee no snow!" (we are in the tropics).
Having said all that we just had someone call the night before a 3 night/2 room booking wanting to cancel or "postpone" (again, which we clearly state in our policies-EVERYWHERE) we do NOT do-reservations are for reserved dates ONLY & are NOT transferable) due to the fact that it was supposed to rain all weekend.
I said they could cancel, however would be charged for the full amount of their stay as per our cancellation policy & their confirmation email (since we are a small property & have reserved those rooms for them, thus turning others away). They were quite irate (understatement), however came, begrudgingly & with attitude & ended up very sunburned-no rain at all..

Interestingly, the ONE day the guest wants to come is the ONE day the long-range shows rain. Not that the weather report makes a bit of difference here. It was supposed to rain for 3 days now. Hasn't yet.

I always say we live in England so there is a 75% chance of rain at any given time! We did have a few cancellations in Jan due to Snow but it was exceptionally deep this year and they were comming from Scotland where it is worse so I let them off for Laundry and Food..
We are in Scotland and surprisingly we didn't have any cancellations this winter due to snow, even though we had snow on the ground for almost 6 weeks.

I'm afraid I always tend to the optimistic if anyone asks what the weather is going to be like. I tell people the forecast says it will clear up at lunch time even if it didn't.
Yes folks, I know that's probably shocked many of you, I lie!!!!
wink_smile.gif

There was a hotel in Torquay on the south coast of England that we used to visit most summer, with friends. If the weather was bad the proprietor ALWAYS said "Oh it was lovely here last week". Used to ***S us off, but now it's a running joke with our friends (who coincidentally also now run a B&B).

I'm afraid I always tend to the optimistic if anyone asks what the weather is going to be like. I tell people the forecast says it will clear up at lunch time even if it didn't.
Yes folks, I know that's probably shocked many of you, I lie!!!!
wink_smile.gif

There was a hotel in Torquay on the south coast of England that we used to visit most summer, with friends. If the weather was bad the proprietor ALWAYS said "Oh it was lovely here last week". Used to ***S us off, but now it's a running joke with our friends (who coincidentally also now run a B&B)..
Highlands John said:
There was a hotel in Torquay on the south coast of England that we used to visit most summer, with friends. If the weather was bad the proprietor ALWAYS said "Oh it was lovely here last week". Used to ***S us off, but now it's a running joke with our friends (who coincidentally also now run a B&B).
Fawlty Towers?

HJ weather is a state of mind. Like mentioned, we used to live in the PacNorthWet. So what weather would someone consider bad weather? Where we live now the temps drop in Feb but the skies are as blue as can be and it is lovely weather to hike, bike, get out and about and sight see!
We had rain this past weekend, we are in a drought! Holy cow we needed it bad, we were jumping for joy (out of guest view!) Our tap water is tepid, beyond tepid...we needed that rain. Now it is gone and all is good in the world. But now it is humid. So that is life. Do what you will summer will have its flies. :)

We get quite a few cyclists here do a 100 mile bike trip across the state in two days. We are the halfway point. Sometimes they will ask to cancel if the weather looks bad. It's only happened a few times and I did let them cancel because they let me know 2 or 3 days in advance. I would not let someone cancel that day. Other than the cyclists we don't let anyone cancel because of weather, unless they're flying and their plane can't land.

HJ weather is a state of mind. Like mentioned, we used to live in the PacNorthWet. So what weather would someone consider bad weather? Where we live now the temps drop in Feb but the skies are as blue as can be and it is lovely weather to hike, bike, get out and about and sight see!
We had rain this past weekend, we are in a drought! Holy cow we needed it bad, we were jumping for joy (out of guest view!) Our tap water is tepid, beyond tepid...we needed that rain. Now it is gone and all is good in the world. But now it is humid. So that is life. Do what you will summer will have its flies. :).
"There's no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothing".
Also...."If you don't like the Scottish weather just wait 15 minutes".

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Shut the door. Not that it lets in the cold but that it lets out the cozyness.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']-[/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman'] [/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman']Mark Twain's Notebook[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Shut the door. Not that it lets in the cold but that it lets out the cozyness.[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']-[/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman'] [/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman']Mark Twain's Notebook[/FONT].
Joey Bloggs said:
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']-[/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman'] [/FONT][FONT= 'Times New Roman']Mark Twain's Notebook[/FONT]
thats noteworthy!

Check the Weather Channel on TV or better check it on the Internet. We aren't seers for goodness' sake!

I think it is just complete lack of common scense we went to Edinborough in March (you are pretty much guaranteed rain every day) and so we planned indoor things and dashed between them if there was showers but we were prepared for it. Unless you are going to Australia just pack properly!

Back