How do you answer weather questions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a cancellation for tonight due to massive thunderstorms. They are on a motorcycle and it is not the wet, it is the WIND. I gave them a GC for a midweek stay with their amount$ applied to it, 6 month expiration, and they were totally pleased and thankful.
We had part 1 of this thunderstorm last night, the trees were bent sideways, that is what we get, the wind pushes them through and they are severe! Only a short time, then gone after that. Today is gorgeous, this evening another one will roll in.

I place a link to the weather on my site. There are also sites that provide the ave. weather (temps, rain/snow% and amounts, etc.) Even the best forecaster can not predict weather more than a couple of days out, how can anyone expect that an innkeeper can. If they are that concerned, tell them that maybe it would be wise to wait to book OR get travelers ins. -
lightbulb.gif
I think I will keep that type of info near my phone from now on!!!
Sometimes that little
devil_smile.gif
on my shoulder temps me to want to ask " and what will your weather be on (fill in)? - Can I bank on that?" Of course the other shoulder wins out.

I just had a cancellation for tonight due to massive thunderstorms. They are on a motorcycle and it is not the wet, it is the WIND. I gave them a GC for a midweek stay with their amount$ applied to it, 6 month expiration, and they were totally pleased and thankful.
We had part 1 of this thunderstorm last night, the trees were bent sideways, that is what we get, the wind pushes them through and they are severe! Only a short time, then gone after that. Today is gorgeous, this evening another one will roll in..
Good for you, under these conditions that is the best way to handle it.

The only time I TELL a rez they will not be charged if they cancel due to weather is in the winter if they are traveling with horses. If they have to cancel due to my weather or theirs, I will only charge the stable fees as I cannot afford to lose the stable. That has been considered fair so far. Haf one that kept changing her date and just a few days after she FINALLY came in, we were snowed in. Also had one this winte that drove in to the stable to unload the horeses, drove in to the B & B with the whole rig, and the next morning walked the horses up the driveway from the stable to the rig parked on the road. Good decision.

Do these people ever even leave the house, like EVER??? Do any of YOU need someone to tell you what the weather will be??? I just always wonder if these people are so completely helpless on a day to day basis or if it's only when they are traveling.
It's real simple: www.weather.com

I always used to say "I'm not God so have no idea what it's going to do and besides - there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." Then I'd laugh. I never accepted a cancellation due to bad weather but can't remember anyone actually wanting to cancel because of bad weather and especially after I said the 'only bad clothing' thing.

I always used to say "I'm not God so have no idea what it's going to do and besides - there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." Then I'd laugh. I never accepted a cancellation due to bad weather but can't remember anyone actually wanting to cancel because of bad weather and especially after I said the 'only bad clothing' thing..
ginocat said:
I always used to say "I'm not God so have no idea what it's going to do and besides - there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing." Then I'd laugh. I never accepted a cancellation due to bad weather but can't remember anyone actually wanting to cancel because of bad weather and especially after I said the 'only bad clothing' thing.
This will be my quote of the day

The bad clothing line is great......
I'd probably respond............"I'll let you know when you arrive"

I think it is just complete lack of common scense we went to Edinborough in March (you are pretty much guaranteed rain every day) and so we planned indoor things and dashed between them if there was showers but we were prepared for it. Unless you are going to Australia just pack properly!.
We had a family here from Florida a couple of years ago in early May. All they'd brough with them was t-shirts and shorts.
We can still get frost in May.

Back