How do you answer weather questions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Had a request for an 'out' on a booking if the weather is 'bad'. 'Bad' is relative. And irrelevant. How do you reply to this? What wise words do you use to let the guest know you don't refund because the weather is 'bad'? (Not talking about severe, batten down the hatches weather. Just 'bad' weather that could mean it's raining or chilly or overcast.)

I would just politely reiterate your cancellation policy and say it applies no matter what the reason for canceling is. Then point out they can buy trip insurance if they are worried about extreme weather (although I doubt it is covered anyway).

Our cancellation policy is that if the roads are open, so are we.
I would tell them to not make their reservation until they are sure they will be coming. Of course, their room they really want may not be available, but that's the risk if they don't want to follow the cancellation policy.

Oh brother. What kind of bad weather are they expecting?? I don't think there will be a snow storm in May. GRRRRR. Sorry, you book, you cancel, we charge.

The ONLY reservation I will cancel with no penalty when it is in my policy limits is horse reservations in winter. If the roads are bad - here or coming in - I do not want the horses coming in. The policy with horses (winter only) is the stable fee will be charged, nothing with the B & B. They have considered that fair so far. Fortunately, have not had to invoke that yet.

My answer....
Our normal cancellation policies apply. If you want, you can wait and hope that a room is available when you decide that it is safe, based on your personal judgement. We do not have any exceptions to our cancellation policies. Thank you for your enquiry and we hope to see you in the future.
I live in Canada.... anything under half a metre of snow and temperatures above -35c and everything runs as normal. If the airport is open, so am I. The local airport hasn't closed for a day in years.

I would tell them that the weather is one of the things we love most about our area. The coldest days can be the sunniest, the rain can change to sun in a heartbeat and helps keep our summers moderate and our nights cool and there is nothing like seeing the lighthouse in a storm .... and I have slickers for anyone that needs them.
Yesterday was sunny but cool so we had barbecued duck and butternut squash had friends over to help us eat it and then put the firepit to good use. A little fuzzy-headed this morning but such a great, great afternoon / evening.

I would just politely reiterate your cancellation policy and say it applies no matter what the reason for canceling is. Then point out they can buy trip insurance if they are worried about extreme weather (although I doubt it is covered anyway)..
We would say our cancellation policy applies unless the state recommends not to drive due to inclement weather (such as snowstorms or ice storms). If the roads are closed you won't be able to get to us. But that is rare.
RIki

I would tell them that the weather is one of the things we love most about our area. The coldest days can be the sunniest, the rain can change to sun in a heartbeat and helps keep our summers moderate and our nights cool and there is nothing like seeing the lighthouse in a storm .... and I have slickers for anyone that needs them.
Yesterday was sunny but cool so we had barbecued duck and butternut squash had friends over to help us eat it and then put the firepit to good use. A little fuzzy-headed this morning but such a great, great afternoon / evening..
BBQ, sandals and gardening yesterday - snow today. Can't predict. Won't predict so sell it as plus.

Yesterday was sunny but cool so we had barbecued duck and butternut squash had friends over to help us eat it and then put the firepit to good use. A little fuzzy-headed this morning but such a great, great afternoon / evening..
BBQ, sandals and gardening yesterday - snow today. Can't predict. Won't predict so sell it as plus.
We say - If you do not like the weather, just wait 5 minutes. It will change.

I always say, unless there is a hurricane going on, it's never bad. And if there is a hurricane - all cancellation policies are off, and we're outta here, kitchen sink and all!

we are having super wierd weather here it is really sunny and people are sunbathing in the park! it is March!

Back