How do you cut your strawberries?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I wanted to ask this as pretty much all of us use them. If using IN something - -
  1. Do you cut the top off then slice, or dice? or
  2. Do you HAND PICK the green stems from the top, then cut? or
  3. Do you use a knife of other to CUT OUT the green stem, or
  4. OTHER
and then... do you cut the white or less ripened area off? or do that in/withthe first step?
http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-Strawberries-for-Every-Occasion
I ask as I want to know - WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE SECTION of berry YOU TAKE OFF OR CUT OUT? DO YOU THROW THAT PART AWAY? Or use it in something else?

Cut off the stem, then slice unless we are fanning the strawberries for 'decoration' then it's just slice and leave the tops on.
We throw out what we don't use. Around here, for most of the year, if I cut out the white part I'd have 'strawberry skin' left. In the summer, with local berries we use everything but the stem.

What do you do with the softer ones, not moldy, but softer or bruised and not plate-worthy? and what do you do with the stem area pieces of the fruit? Do you toss them?
As you can see I am back on my smoothie thang. I have decided that why the heck am I throwing all this out? I am now going to keep a zip lock bag and put these pieces in the freezer. Same with bananas that may be a little soft or just in spots, that I cut around and throw out. Or a Kiwi fruit that may have a soft side...I feel terrible wasting this! Into the zip lock, then for smoothies I can use the frozen fruit.
My issue with smoothies has always been size, I don't want a big smoothie to fill up the guests, so I have determined I am going to use my Fostoria champagne glasses, Not flutes, but wide mouth glasses.
I made one today, and determined it was not sweet enough. There are a variety of ways to sweeten it up, but the thing is I want these to be using the other parts, not making something from SCRATCH. There are a million smoothie recipes...If I add ice cream it will be a shake. :(
To make the creamsicle smoothie we added vanilla/half and half and sugar to the concentrate orange juice and ice. it is AWESOME, but want to do other than ORANGE since we serve OJ.,

What do you do with the softer ones, not moldy, but softer or bruised and not plate-worthy? and what do you do with the stem area pieces of the fruit? Do you toss them?
As you can see I am back on my smoothie thang. I have decided that why the heck am I throwing all this out? I am now going to keep a zip lock bag and put these pieces in the freezer. Same with bananas that may be a little soft or just in spots, that I cut around and throw out. Or a Kiwi fruit that may have a soft side...I feel terrible wasting this! Into the zip lock, then for smoothies I can use the frozen fruit.
My issue with smoothies has always been size, I don't want a big smoothie to fill up the guests, so I have determined I am going to use my Fostoria champagne glasses, Not flutes, but wide mouth glasses.
I made one today, and determined it was not sweet enough. There are a variety of ways to sweeten it up, but the thing is I want these to be using the other parts, not making something from SCRATCH. There are a million smoothie recipes...If I add ice cream it will be a shake. :(
To make the creamsicle smoothie we added vanilla/half and half and sugar to the concentrate orange juice and ice. it is AWESOME, but want to do other than ORANGE since we serve OJ.,.
I've discovered that frozen grapes do two things to a smoothie: they work as sweetener and replace ice cubes. Also, it doesn't take too many of the dark red bing cherries to really redden up a concoction. So a strawberry smoothie that has predominately strawberries (from the freezer) will also have some frozen grapes to add sweetness and a few bing cherries to make it a bit prettier.
I use smoothies sometimes for my business guests who may be here 3 or 4 nights and really prefer not to have a full breakfast. They get about 8 oz and are happy with that alone or with a muffin. And coffee, of course!

To make the creamsicle smoothie we added vanilla/half and half and sugar to the concentrate orange juice and ice. it is AWESOME, but want to do other than ORANGE since we serve OJ.,.
Ah, I see now what you mean. I still don't save the stem ends but any berry fruit that is 'past prime' goes into a 'berry blend' that I cook up and serve over pound cake or angel food cake or panna cotta. I will freeze it if I can't use it right off.

I've discovered that frozen grapes do two things to a smoothie: they work as sweetener and replace ice cubes. Also, it doesn't take too many of the dark red bing cherries to really redden up a concoction. So a strawberry smoothie that has predominately strawberries (from the freezer) will also have some frozen grapes to add sweetness and a few bing cherries to make it a bit prettier.
I use smoothies sometimes for my business guests who may be here 3 or 4 nights and really prefer not to have a full breakfast. They get about 8 oz and are happy with that alone or with a muffin. And coffee, of course!
Thanks innkeep. So the floaters, sorry bad term, the loose grapes at the bottom of the bag may be good as the sweetening agent frozen. AWESOME!

why not add honey if you need your smoothie sweeter?.
scrambled_eggs said:
why not add honey if you need your smoothie sweeter?
Sure we can do that.
I am not a fan of honey. I know I know, it is horrible, I wish I could, I pushed honey on our kids growing up, I buy local honey, but I am not a fan of the flavor. I always try it to see if my tastebuds have changed!

why not add honey if you need your smoothie sweeter?.
scrambled_eggs said:
why not add honey if you need your smoothie sweeter?
Sure we can do that.
I am not a fan of honey. I know I know, it is horrible, I wish I could, I pushed honey on our kids growing up, I buy local honey, but I am not a fan of the flavor. I always try it to see if my tastebuds have changed!
Agave nectar maybe?

Slice the top off. Dice for muffins, quarter for fruit cups, slices for strawberry sauce or for decoration.
We use our over-ripe, not-so-pretty fruit in our muffins. No waste except for wrinkly grapes.
For smoothies, I prefer to use frozen bananas and yogurt as sweeteners & thickeners.

DH likes the "past prime time" bananas frozen. He just tosses them in the freezer - they peel easy when frozen. I can use the frozen in muffins - they mash easy frozen. Strawberries - I cut the top off (more like dig out) then quarter for fruit compote. Past prime times go to DH unless REALLY past prime and then they go to the compost.

Slice the top off. Dice for muffins, quarter for fruit cups, slices for strawberry sauce or for decoration.
We use our over-ripe, not-so-pretty fruit in our muffins. No waste except for wrinkly grapes.
For smoothies, I prefer to use frozen bananas and yogurt as sweeteners & thickeners..
Well I just bought the most amazing giant green pop in your mouth Calf grapes. Un-bloody-be-lievable! And for the guests plates from the same farm I bought red smaller pop in your mouth grapes. What a huge difference in SUGAR levels! The green were slightly sweet, the red were almost TOO SWEET. SO I will remember to use those red seedless for the freezer/smoothies.

For smoothies, I prefer to use frozen bananas and yogurt as sweeteners & thickeners..
Well I just bought the most amazing giant green pop in your mouth Calf grapes. Un-bloody-be-lievable! And for the guests plates from the same farm I bought red smaller pop in your mouth grapes. What a huge difference in SUGAR levels! The green were slightly sweet, the red were almost TOO SWEET. SO I will remember to use those red seedless for the freezer/smoothies.
YES, we've been enjoying those red Cali grapes here. Amazing! You're right - almost too sweet. I'm not really a grape eater, but I was devouring those!

When I look at this Wiki site, the first thing I notice is that, when I pull the green tops off from a strawberry, I never ever get them to come off like the "plug" in that first photo. :(
I pull the green, slice in half, "v" out the little bitter stem in the middle and then quarter, if using for the family to eat.
If I want nice, pretty, even slices, I pull the green and then use one of those old fashioned egg slicers.

Spent Sunday with our Seller (we are buying the inn in a week.) She put out a nice platter with bananas and strawberries - no cutting, she just put them out there.
People seemed happy enough.
(She's a bit tired of the business.)

Spent Sunday with our Seller (we are buying the inn in a week.) She put out a nice platter with bananas and strawberries - no cutting, she just put them out there.
People seemed happy enough.
(She's a bit tired of the business.).
I think intact strawberries are visually nice. I also like the thought of just grabbing the top and eating the whole thing at once. It has it's own handle
regular_smile.gif

Cut off the stem, then slice unless we are fanning the strawberries for 'decoration' then it's just slice and leave the tops on.
We throw out what we don't use. Around here, for most of the year, if I cut out the white part I'd have 'strawberry skin' left. In the summer, with local berries we use everything but the stem..
I CHOPPED THE TOPS OF. opps sorry. I also make them ( straw berries ) into roses. and put them on the plate. Use the soft ones in strawberry soup. Also smoothies. freeze them and use them as ice cubes for smoothies tops and all some times.
Straw berries are being sprayed with red food colouring darn that makes me mad. Cause then you never know by looking at them if they are ripe or not !!!!!
I just took some strawberries and stuffed them . They were great! I cut out the stems then cut a bit more off , then piped in the cheeses cream mixture. they gobbled it up . Think next time I will try a chocolate cream cheese mixture

We throw out what we don't use. Around here, for most of the year, if I cut out the white part I'd have 'strawberry skin' left. In the summer, with local berries we use everything but the stem..
I CHOPPED THE TOPS OF. opps sorry. I also make them ( straw berries ) into roses. and put them on the plate. Use the soft ones in strawberry soup. Also smoothies. freeze them and use them as ice cubes for smoothies tops and all some times.
Straw berries are being sprayed with red food colouring darn that makes me mad. Cause then you never know by looking at them if they are ripe or not !!!!!
I just took some strawberries and stuffed them . They were great! I cut out the stems then cut a bit more off , then piped in the cheeses cream mixture. they gobbled it up . Think next time I will try a chocolate cream cheese mixture
Cream cheese mixed with what? that sounds like such a great presentation!!
Do you use it with other fruits?

Cream cheese mixed with what? that sounds like such a great presentation!!
Do you use it with other fruits?
Some times with other fruits. When I do that it is on the side of the dish. I used chocolate cream cheese . By Philly . Thought of using melted chocolate . Maybe pudding also could be piped in to the hollow that you carve out.. Set your straw berries in a small muffin tin or egg carton ,will hold it up till the pudding or chocolate sets in centre.

Back