How do you determine who pays?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several weeks ago while I was waiting for a check-in, the phone rang. The guest called from another B&B on the other side of the country with the same name as ours. She explained how perplexed she was when she went to check in, confirmation in hand, only to find that they had no record of her booking. Well, I just had to laugh out loud, and no, she was not charged. Several nights earlier I noticed that one of our web visits was for a few seconds only and shortly thereafter a booking came through. I can relate to time-challenged!
-the bug.
NW Natterbug said:
Several weeks ago while I was waiting for a check-in, the phone rang. The guest called from another B&B on the other side of the country with the same name as ours. She explained how perplexed she was when she went to check in, confirmation in hand, only to find that they had no record of her booking. Well, I just had to laugh out loud, and no, she was not charged. Several nights earlier I noticed that one of our web visits was for a few seconds only and shortly thereafter a booking came through. I can relate to time-challenged!
-the bug
I had that happen year one or two, besides the SEO perspective I now have my state printed all over the place (due to another inn 2000 miles from here with the same name) yeah people don't read? Ya think! haha And my stupid answering machine says our state on it too, takes up valuable space, but have to do it for that one dimwit who thinks we are in Texas!
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
I had that happen year one or two, besides the SEO perspective I now have my state printed all over the place (due to another inn 2000 miles from here with the same name) yeah people don't read? Ya think! haha And my stupid answering machine says our state on it too, takes up valuable space, but have to do it for that one dimwit who thinks we are in Texas!
You guys wouldn't believe how many inn websites I've found that don't list ANY, and I mean ANY location information on their homepage. It's amazing. How do people know where they are!? I don't want to have to hunt thru your website to find out where in the heck you are! Don't waste my time!
Grrr...I get so annoyed about that. I think it is an incredible show of either ignorance (we know where we are, everyone else does, too) or pride (the guest will hunt around our website to find out where we are located because we are SO worth it!). Yeah, right.
I think it's what works me up the most about inn websites.
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
You guys wouldn't believe how many inn websites I've found that don't list ANY, and I mean ANY location information on their homepage. It's amazing. How do people know where they are!? I don't want to have to hunt thru your website to find out where in the heck you are! Don't waste my time!
Grrr...I get so annoyed about that. I think it is an incredible show of either ignorance (we know where we are, everyone else does, too) or pride (the guest will hunt around our website to find out where we are located because we are SO worth it!). Yeah, right.
Tis a pet peeve of mine as well, it is foolishness 101 for innkeeping. Every time I try to plan a getaway I get so frustrated by THAT specifically that I have to go to - TA! Yes TA to find the inns near where I am going!!! Some directories have maps - but now all inns on are those directories!
TA has a map feature and then I can easily see an inn with 40 reviews near point a or b.
So does Google, it's much more comprehensive than TA (it actually compiles reviews from multiple sites) and the map location has always been accurate in my experience.

-the bug.
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Tis a pet peeve of mine as well, it is foolishness 101 for innkeeping. Every time I try to plan a getaway I get so frustrated by THAT specifically that I have to go to - TA! Yes TA to find the inns near where I am going!!! Some directories have maps - but now all inns on are those directories!
TA has a map feature and then I can easily see an inn with 40 reviews near point a or b.
So does Google, it's much more comprehensive than TA (it actually compiles reviews from multiple sites) and the map location has always been accurate in my experience.
Don Draper said:
Dissenting vote here for the locations being accurate. It took almost a year for me to get my pin moved to the proper location. And only ONE location, not 2. I still come across certain websites, TA being the latest, where they had my pin in the wrong place. But only on certain searches. So, I didn't notice it until I tried all the links that said 'map this hotel'.
I had a direct link to Google maps on my website where I had mapped my location and gave the guests the opportunity to just plug in their own address to get directions. Checked it one day for yucks and found that Google had moved my inn (along with half the restaurants in my town) to another town altogether.
So, whenever I see a link for my inn on a Google map I click 'get directions' and make sure I'm still in the correct location.
The worst part was there are a lot of businesses located at the same number I am but on the opposite end of town so Google assumed they all knew where they were and put me in with them even tho I've been in this location for 25 years and those are all new businesses. (Difference between 'Main St' and 'South Main St'.)

-the bug.
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Don Draper said:
Like this? I typed in B&B Lancaster PA. Is this how you would search in google?
vs this in TA (with map to the right, so if none of these work I can look at surrounding areas) - see this IS A GOOGLE map but then gives me more stipulations, ways to search and narrow it down , ie Price, miles from location. In google alone I have to go to each one to find price.
BTW WELL DONE WALKABOUT INN #1 out of 18 inns!!!!

-the bug.
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Don Draper said:
Dissenting vote here for the locations being accurate. It took almost a year for me to get my pin moved to the proper location. And only ONE location, not 2. I still come across certain websites, TA being the latest, where they had my pin in the wrong place. But only on certain searches. So, I didn't notice it until I tried all the links that said 'map this hotel'.
I had a direct link to Google maps on my website where I had mapped my location and gave the guests the opportunity to just plug in their own address to get directions. Checked it one day for yucks and found that Google had moved my inn (along with half the restaurants in my town) to another town altogether.
So, whenever I see a link for my inn on a Google map I click 'get directions' and make sure I'm still in the correct location.
The worst part was there are a lot of businesses located at the same number I am but on the opposite end of town so Google assumed they all knew where they were and put me in with them even tho I've been in this location for 25 years and those are all new businesses. (Difference between 'Main St' and 'South Main St'.)
Yeesh. Do you know if it's isolated to your area? I've always had it work well for me. But then I am willing to do .the Google map just to get an idea of places and then look for individual properties versus relying on Google alone to show me where they are.

-the bug.
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Don Draper said:
Yeesh. Do you know if it's isolated to your area? I've always had it work well for me. But then I am willing to do .the Google map just to get an idea of places and then look for individual properties versus relying on Google alone to show me where they are.
Not sure if it was just my area or not. What I do know is I now do my own 'check' if I'm trying to reserve something in a specific location. I find something else in the same town and map that. (Of course, in my town that wouldn't have worked as all sorts of things were moved!)
For awhile I had waterfront property. I wish!

First of all, I think that you (the general you) has to examine your policies and cancellation time frame carefully. If you have a high cancellation rate, consider why folks might be cancelling all the time. Is there something in your policies that might be prompting them to cancel? Or, is this the norm for your area? And, this is something that you probably have to re-visit on a regular basis. Consider this also: seasoned travelers may cancel a reservation within a no charge time frame of your cancellation policy because your cancellation policy is too prohibitive. If you feel your cancellation policy is fair, then stick to it!
Regarding damages, do you have the type of clientele that seem to "disrespect" your property and you have more than the type of "damages" that go with the cost of doing business? If so, you probably need to have a hefty fee to discourage that and enforce that policy without exception. Guests who know that it is also your home, seem to respect your property more.
It's key to know your market and this is going to be different for almost all properties here on the forum.
We had a very short cancellation time frame - 72 hours. We had very, very, very few cancellations. Almost all were due to changes with my corporate clients' stays. I didn't charge them because those relationships were 40% of my business.
We had a strict no smoking policy. Guests had to sign a registration form on arrival that re-iterated the policy (in addition to the on-line form) and stated the $250 fee for cleaning a room if there was evidence of smoking in the room. Luckily, I never found evidence of smoking. The registration form also included a clause about charging for damages.
You have to document carefully for damages. I only charged once for a set of sheets that were stained to the point that they didn't look like they could be salvaged. I was lucky, the guest offered to pay for them. I wasn't so lucky with an antique sofa that was damaged, but there was no way to attach the damage to the guest that I suspected was responsible. Learning opportunity for the innkeeper.
If I made an error or if it appeared to be my error, I never charged the guest for it. Another learning opportunity.

Back