How do you determine who pays?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
This goes along with the question I asked about the no shows. Given any monetary interaction with a guest, how do you determine if you charge a guest or you don't? List me off some criteria. I know everyone handles things differently but I want to see where that divergence occurs.
Possible scenarios: the no shows who show the next day (or following weekend); breakage or damage in the room (including smoking, excessive perfume, wine stains that don't come out, damage from pets or children); early arrivers who then 'cancel' their last day because they weren't really planning to be there that day; late cancels.
Does it matter if it's the busy season or not? Does it matter if you've knowingly turned away other guests?
If your policy is to never charge the guest for any errors, why is that?

If the guest was booked one night and didn't turn up would charge without blinking. As regards breakages if it say was a drinking glass wouln't charge as accidents happen but if it was something serious would charge in full as it was deliberate ie smoking in the room, dogg wee that you have had to deal with. If I have knowingly turned away other guests I would charge its that simple.

This is why you have policies and protocols: they give you guidelines to follow when unprecedented situations arise. Of course you have the benefit of being "the boss", so you can bend the rules as you see fit.
For cancellations/no shows/early departures, we draw a hard line. We enter a contract with each and every one of our guests: We agree to hold the room for them and they agree to pay for those nights. When they no show/cancel late/leave early they do not give us any opportunity to make up the lost revenue. We cannot afford to give our services for free. Obviously we make exceptions (guests whose mother died while they were here, obviously we charged them nothing). But they were the exception and not the rule.
For breakage, we try to determine intent. Were they being malicious? Drunk? Or was it genuinely an accident? Also, if they bring it to my immediate attention I am much more willing to make a forgiveness than if they purposely don't tell me, try to cover it up, etc.

For no shows, cancellations, early checkouts we have a policy in place & it is clear cut. We charge.
Things like damages are far more difficult in my opinion. Towels/sheets/quilts (grr) get stained often, but we figure it isn't worth taking a 5* & turning it all sour over the charges for linens...
If they have lost property (we lend out snorkel gear, beach towels, etc.) I do charge-less if it's older-full price if it's brand new.
As others note, a glass, cup, etc. we don't charge. Also, as someone mentioned, I'm always grateful/more forgiving when someone brings it to my attention.

So what would an innsitter do? Follow the policies. Why do we feel compelled to break our own policies?
As predicted this will be the worst year for this, be firm, make sure your policies are there - everywhere, stick to them! As we said a month ago, let's back each other up on this, we are business people! We do not do this for fun. As a dairy farmer told me this past weekend "This is our livelihood" then "We have a life outside of this, family, God, community, etc but this is how we put food on the table!"
ARE YOU ANY DIFFERENT? Do you think guests think we are in this for the fun only?

So what would an innsitter do? Follow the policies. Why do we feel compelled to break our own policies?
As predicted this will be the worst year for this, be firm, make sure your policies are there - everywhere, stick to them! As we said a month ago, let's back each other up on this, we are business people! We do not do this for fun. As a dairy farmer told me this past weekend "This is our livelihood" then "We have a life outside of this, family, God, community, etc but this is how we put food on the table!"
ARE YOU ANY DIFFERENT? Do you think guests think we are in this for the fun only?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Do you think guests think we are in this for the fun only?
The short answer is 'yes'. I don't think most guests believe this is how we earn a living. I say that given the number of them who ask, 'So, what do you do besides this?' They think we telecommute to other jobs or someone, if not both of us, does something else in the afternoon or evening.
We work at home, that doesn't count. (Anyone who works at home for another company knows a lot of people don't take that seriously and will interrupt during the day because you're home, therefore you are not at work.)
And I think this is because they know from asking elsewhere that most innkeepers DO something else. The only innkeepers I know who rely solely on this income I can count on one hand. So, the guest simply assumes it's a hobby job and that it is not paying the bills or putting food on the table. So why can't we be flexible? It's not like we need the money.

ARE YOU ANY DIFFERENT? Do you think guests think we are in this for the fun only?.
Joey Bloggs said:
The short answer is 'yes'. I don't think most guests believe this is how we earn a living. I say that given the number of them who ask, 'So, what do you do besides this?' They think we telecommute to other jobs or someone, if not both of us, does something else in the afternoon or evening.
We work at home, that doesn't count. (Anyone who works at home for another company knows a lot of people don't take that seriously and will interrupt during the day because you're home, therefore you are not at work.)
And I think this is because they know from asking elsewhere that most innkeepers DO something else. The only innkeepers I know who rely solely on this income I can count on one hand. So, the guest simply assumes it's a hobby job and that it is not paying the bills or putting food on the table. So why can't we be flexible? It's not like we need the money.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
BUT...
The reason we have someone else working outside the inn is to support the family, and the inn expenses as the inn doesn't support the family! So people think we do this for fun and the REAL job is another one. It is bassackwards. So we have more than one job. Not a part time just for fun job, workng all day every day AND HERE every night and weekend.
I really truly appreciated the humbleness of this dairy farmer. The way he spoke those words made total sense to me, and I thought to myself (of course I can never NOT think "innkeeping" 24/7!) gee maybe we need to let those people who are rude and try to cancel with no penalty the same thing. Maybe we need to quietely remind them, I know most of us would never ever think of that, and then they assume we have a huge hired staff and we just rake in the dough! We have all encountered this mentality.
Maybe we should spell it out, thank you for letting us know, and for following the policies you agreed to. We are family owned and operated and this is our livelihood...
I just wanted to share that, maybe I cannot translate how the simple words made an impact. They did. I knew what they did for a living was serious. I thought it was a great thing to say.

Joey Bloggs said:
I can't be responsible for other people's ignorance or their misconceptions. I would NEVER walk into ANY type of business and presume to know the first thing about it or its finances. This is RUDE. Reeducate them if you like, but don't put yourself at the mercy of this. What you think matters more than what anyone else thinks, it's your life.

Joey Bloggs said:
I can't be responsible for other people's ignorance or their misconceptions. I would NEVER walk into ANY type of business and presume to know the first thing about it or its finances. This is RUDE. Reeducate them if you like, but don't put yourself at the mercy of this. What you think matters more than what anyone else thinks, it's your life.
Don Draper said:
Yes I agree. I just liked the way this was put.
BTW have a gal from Pittsb here today and another who also grew up there and now lives in central ILLINOIS. They did the usual "small world" thing at the table. One is in her 60's the other in her 20's, but they grew up in the same neighborhood. Mount Washington? Is that it, on the hill over looking downtown I think. Anyway, I told them "never say never" at our table, there is always a connection.

Joey Bloggs said:
Don Draper said:
BTW have a gal from Pittsb here today and another who also grew up there and now lives in central ILLINOIS. They did the usual "small world" thing at the table. One is in her 60's the other in her 20's, but they grew up in the same neighborhood. Mount Washington? Is that it, on the hill over looking downtown I think. Anyway, I told them "never say never" at our table, there is always a connection.
Mount Washington is indeed the hill looking down on the City. It is where one of the inclines is located - the most popular one. That incline is still a vital commuter route.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
BUT...
The reason we have someone else working outside the inn is to support the family, and the inn expenses as the inn doesn't support the family! So people think we do this for fun and the REAL job is another one. It is bassackwards. So we have more than one job. Not a part time just for fun job, workng all day every day AND HERE every night and weekend.
I really truly appreciated the humbleness of this dairy farmer. The way he spoke those words made total sense to me, and I thought to myself (of course I can never NOT think "innkeeping" 24/7!) gee maybe we need to let those people who are rude and try to cancel with no penalty the same thing. Maybe we need to quietely remind them, I know most of us would never ever think of that, and then they assume we have a huge hired staff and we just rake in the dough! We have all encountered this mentality.
Maybe we should spell it out, thank you for letting us know, and for following the policies you agreed to. We are family owned and operated and this is our livelihood...
I just wanted to share that, maybe I cannot translate how the simple words made an impact. They did. I knew what they did for a living was serious. I thought it was a great thing to say.
Kinda sounds like stay at home Moms - never appreciated, but a very important part of the family. No, we may not be bringing home the bacon, but we are the heart and soul of the entire operation and without us everything would fall apart. Overworked and underappreciated.
And yes, saying that you are family owned and operated and cancellations affect your livelihood is a great thing to say, and in fact I have seen it on many B&B websites.

Joey Bloggs said:
Don Draper said:
I have said all along, guests from Western PA are always the cream of the crop. Just good salt of the earth people. And having lived there, we can never travel anywhere without running into someone from there! Because of the decline in industry there millions have left, so it's not unusual to find them all over the world.

i'm finding it best, as of late, to create a list of my own personal policies ... what to do in certains situations.
if guests what to bring a baby... if guests want to check in super late... if guests break/damage somethinge... if guests cancel due to illness/weather (things out of their control).... etc...
this way, when these situations come up i refer to my 'personal policies' and have my answer. i'm a 'feeler' and often let my emotions lead my decisions rather than my brain. so this seems to be working for me.
...and i'm also learning.... that if things guests what to do cause me added stress or added work or additional money from my pocket, i either don't do it or charge them for it.

i'm finding it best, as of late, to create a list of my own personal policies ... what to do in certains situations.
if guests what to bring a baby... if guests want to check in super late... if guests break/damage somethinge... if guests cancel due to illness/weather (things out of their control).... etc...
this way, when these situations come up i refer to my 'personal policies' and have my answer. i'm a 'feeler' and often let my emotions lead my decisions rather than my brain. so this seems to be working for me.
...and i'm also learning.... that if things guests what to do cause me added stress or added work or additional money from my pocket, i either don't do it or charge them for it..
Great plan. You know yourself very well!

As a dairy farmer told me this past weekend "This is our livelihood" then "We have a life outside of this, family, God, community, etc but this is how we put food on the table!"
I am going to insert that into my cancellation policy!
Changed my policy to read:
Cancellation is required at least 48 hours in advance.
A dairy farmer told a friend, "This is our livelihood." Then he said, "We have a life outside of this: family, God, community, etc but this is how we put food on the table!"
For this reason, this business (not a hobby) will charge a full reservation charge plus tax for any cancellation less than 48 hours prior to expected arrival or “No Show”. Reservations requiring use of stable stalls will also be charged stable fees.

Several weeks ago while I was waiting for a check-in, the phone rang. The guest called from another B&B on the other side of the country with the same name as ours. She explained how perplexed she was when she went to check in, confirmation in hand, only to find that they had no record of her booking. Well, I just had to laugh out loud, and no, she was not charged. Several nights earlier I noticed that one of our web visits was for a few seconds only and shortly thereafter a booking came through. I can relate to time-challenged!
-the bug

Several weeks ago while I was waiting for a check-in, the phone rang. The guest called from another B&B on the other side of the country with the same name as ours. She explained how perplexed she was when she went to check in, confirmation in hand, only to find that they had no record of her booking. Well, I just had to laugh out loud, and no, she was not charged. Several nights earlier I noticed that one of our web visits was for a few seconds only and shortly thereafter a booking came through. I can relate to time-challenged!
-the bug.
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
I had that happen year one or two, besides the SEO perspective I now have my state printed all over the place (due to another inn 2000 miles from here with the same name) yeah people don't read? Ya think! haha And my stupid answering machine says our state on it too, takes up valuable space, but have to do it for that one dimwit who thinks we are in Texas!

-the bug.
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
I had that happen year one or two, besides the SEO perspective I now have my state printed all over the place (due to another inn 2000 miles from here with the same name) yeah people don't read? Ya think! haha And my stupid answering machine says our state on it too, takes up valuable space, but have to do it for that one dimwit who thinks we are in Texas!
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
You guys wouldn't believe how many inn websites I've found that don't list ANY, and I mean ANY location information on their homepage. It's amazing. How do people know where they are!? I don't want to have to hunt thru your website to find out where in the heck you are! Don't waste my time!
Grrr...I get so annoyed about that. I think it is an incredible show of either ignorance (we know where we are, everyone else does, too) or pride (the guest will hunt around our website to find out where we are located because we are SO worth it!). Yeah, right.
I think it's what works me up the most about inn websites.

-the bug.
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
You guys wouldn't believe how many inn websites I've found that don't list ANY, and I mean ANY location information on their homepage. It's amazing. How do people know where they are!? I don't want to have to hunt thru your website to find out where in the heck you are! Don't waste my time!
Grrr...I get so annoyed about that. I think it is an incredible show of either ignorance (we know where we are, everyone else does, too) or pride (the guest will hunt around our website to find out where we are located because we are SO worth it!). Yeah, right.
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Tis a pet peeve of mine as well, it is foolishness 101 for innkeeping. Every time I try to plan a getaway I get so frustrated by THAT specifically that I have to go to - TA! Yes TA to find the inns near where I am going!!! Some directories have maps - but now all inns on are those directories!
TA has a map feature and then I can easily see an inn with 40 reviews near point a or b.

-the bug.
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
NW Natterbug said:
-the bug
Tis a pet peeve of mine as well, it is foolishness 101 for innkeeping. Every time I try to plan a getaway I get so frustrated by THAT specifically that I have to go to - TA! Yes TA to find the inns near where I am going!!! Some directories have maps - but now all inns on are those directories!
TA has a map feature and then I can easily see an inn with 40 reviews near point a or b.
I hear ya and I feel your pain :)

Back