How do you explain check-in time?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have it on the policies they must check to make an online rez, and then on the confirmation and then on the reminder you reservation is three days away email. And when they make the booking they must type in the time they will check in, specifically, it is not a drop down box.
98% of the guests are just fine, it is the 2% that cause strife, always is, in all areas..
Ain't that the truth??? Most of them are just fine, but when you get into long strings of the PITA's you just start to wonder what you're doing wrong. For Mort's situation and mine I don't think we get more PITA's (on a percentage basis) than anyone else, it's just that we have more rooms, hence more guests, hence overall greater change of getting a PITA. And they're the ones we talk about here.
I can't even get into the details but suffice it to say that the last check-in yesterday (who screeched into the driveway at 5:58) basically walked in and said "Hi, we're here to be weird for two days". When the check-in was over we just stared at each other, they were just so strange.
Don Draper said:
For Mort's situation and mine I don't think we get more PITA's (on a percentage basis) than anyone else, it's just that we have more rooms, hence more guests, hence overall greater chance of getting a PITA. And they're the ones we talk about here.
True dat. Those of us with six to nine rooms and/or occupancy at 50% or higher are seeing a LOT more people than someone with three or four rooms or someone with an occupancy of half that. Our percentage of PITA guests is probably lower than most; it's just that a lot of people have passed through the doors.
And it's still something about this time of year too. This week we have a lot of folks who just booked recently. These are the people who have not left the room for one minute all day (there are 3 of them, which is just NOT the norm for us here). I'm sitting here just focusing on how comfy my rooms must be, people just can't leave them. This as I'm waiting for the last check-in...wanna lay odds on if they'll be on time?
devil_smile.gif

lately we have been having more holiday people who are more of a pain. our business people are busy and don't need as much attention or amenities ( ie don't care about the shape of the bedside cabinets LOL)

Our policies state: "Check in is 3pm or after". In my confirmation email (or during the phone call), I repeat that, but add "If it appears that you will arrive after 8pm, please call and give us a heads-up so we don't worry."
I don't ask for a reply to my confirmation, don't send reminder emails (unless reservation was made more than 6 months ago). I'm right here, I can see from my favorite chair whenever someone pulls in, and I can meet them at the door. When someone is late, I don't get upset about it from a personal standpoint, but I do envision them upside down in a ditch on I-75. Anyone who was REALLY late (after dark) has called, or let me know when they reserved. Some people even call when they don't need to..
We do exactly the same - "Check-In 3:00pm - 10:00pm" - please call for later. I never send a follow up - Only send the initial confirmation with all details. I feel we are dealing with adults, so no need to coddle them. We are 2 hours from nearest airport, so we do have our share of 1am checkins, but that's the business - we never do self check-in, so there are times we are up way too late.

Back