How do you get the incurred damages after guest left (ex: Smoking in Room = $175 fee) if you get cash or paid thru Paypal

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will find credit card processors will not allow you to charge the card for damages. Best bet is refundable security deposit.
What processors are you looking at?.
I have spoken to over 8 companies.
They all state that we CAN process AFTER the the client leaves,
IF the proper steps are taken when they check in.
The main one I am considering is
Integrated Card Services – ICS Merchant Services
and also East Commerce Solutions, North Ame Bancard, Resource Nation
Any thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks, B
As far as the list of companies you are looking at, I haven't heard anything good or bad about them. As Copperhead said, avoid a contract (we can't get out of ours without paying $275 even tho we've been with them for 10 years) and get your own equipment, don't rent. The rental fees will kill you.
Make sure you verify with the processor first that the equipment you are buying works with their system. Lots of older equip is out of date. My terminal doesn't do updates any longer. I am sure they will be pushing me to buy a new one. Going with Square doesn't work for taking deposits because you need the card to swipe or you need to have the cvv from the back of the card. And then the processing fee is higher.
We never ask for the cvv because I do not want to have that info lest we get hacked.

The best offer I have yet is with ICS (Intergrated Card Services).
No Contract,
Free Printer/Terminal Supplies (Nurit 2085),
No Annual Fee, Monthly fee of $6.50
Transaction Fee of .20 cents (does anyone else miss the cents sign on a keyboard?)
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
So WHAT have the hidden costs/obstacles NOT mentioned with this offer?
What more questions do I need to ask? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks, B

You will find credit card processors will not allow you to charge the card for damages. Best bet is refundable security deposit.
What processors are you looking at?.
The main one I am considering is
Integrated Card Services – ICS Merchant Services
and also East Commerce Solutions, North Ame Bancard, Resource Nation
Any thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks, B
Little_Easy_Cabins said:
Not for damages. Of course you can run the card for the balance of the stay if the guest leaves without checking out.
Get that in writing because VISA and MC say you cannot charge a guest for damages without the guest's express permission. Without a sig on the cc slip the guest will win every time. And even if they sign, they can go home and dispute and say they were 'threatened' or the damage was there when they arrived.
BTW, did they tell you what the proper steps are? We would all like to know this as we've been over this a million times and have posted the terms and conditions on here taken right from the cc websites.
I am still in the "process gathering stage" now,
but here's what they all have confirmed (as well as, other posters on here).

Any additional charges which are discovered after check-out
(smoking, room service, telephone or mini-bar), the hotel may amend a guest’s bill,
provided the cardholder has agreed to be responsible for "delayed" or "amended"
charges, and you follow up with a detailed invoice to the customer explain such
At the time of check-in you must make sure your guest signs an agreement to pay for "delayed" or"amended" charges as defined by your terms and conditions. Also, a pending "additional cleaning fee" would work too.
These charges CANNOT be listed as "loss, theft or damages"
(those are small claims court issues). Thanks, B

all you want addressed is your question about a credit card processing 'system' ... lots of good suggestions here.
and maybe you don't want any other suggestions at all. still, i'm going to say this ....
a smoker who violates your rules about not smoking in your cabin will likely fight a charge for cleanup after smoking. regardless of how you try to charge them. period.
i ended up paying additional costs to fight a chargeback on a damage fee well deserved by a bad guest. so it cost me more in the long run and it hurt.
i don't say this to be vicious, but from experience.

You must have heard this before "you must spend money to make money"! If you want to be in business, there are things that do cost and one is credit card processing. I have not looked at paypal in years but there is a fee, right? You have added the any cost of that fee into your rental costs, right? No different with a credit card processor, add that into your rental fee as well as the business checking (really what is that $10 a month?).
Now about your smoking guest. You have a fee for noncompliance but no way to charge them? This will not help you with your current problem but why not create a deposit (on top of rental), this is done a lot in the rental world. If they leave everything intact, you issue a refund of their deposit. If they smoke or otherwise damage the place, it is taken from the deposit. As for the current matter, the only thing I can suggest is send them an invoice. If they do not pay, your only recourse is to take them to small claims court or move on..
copperhead said:
You must have heard this before "you must spend money to make money"! If you want to be in business, there are things that do cost and one is credit card processing. I have not looked at paypal in years but there is a fee, right? You have added the any cost of that fee into your rental costs, right? No different with a credit card processor, add that into your rental fee as well as the business checking (really what is that $10 a month?).
Now about your smoking guest. You have a fee for noncompliance but no way to charge them? This will not help you with your current problem but why not create a deposit (on top of rental), this is done a lot in the rental world. If they leave everything intact, you issue a refund of their deposit. If they smoke or otherwise damage the place, it is taken from the deposit. As for the current matter, the only thing I can suggest is send them an invoice. If they do not pay, your only recourse is to take them to small claims court or move on.
I have had problems with this in the past. If and when we get into a problem like this, I just send them to a collection agent. I have had great luck with it. I have a really good agent. It does go on their credit score and if I do not collect at least I can get them that way. It will haunt them for 7 years. I have even had people call us after having in on their score for a year and decide to pay it just to get it cleared up. Some will not care. But at least I get the last jab!!!

No Contract,
Transaction Fee of .20 cents (does anyone else miss the cents sign on a keyboard?)
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
What more questions do I need to ask? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks, B.
That offer looks pretty good at first glance, but I don't have a lot to compare too.
On another forum, somebody had posted a spreadsheet calculator for comparing processors.
At 6.50 per month ($78 per year), and assuming you do an average of 2 transactions each day for 360 days ($144), and assuming all your transactions are swiped credit at 1.59%, you will have to process almost $20,000 in the year before you will be beating the flat 2.75% fee from Square for swiped transactions (as an example).
It's actually not a difficult calculation -- just estimate how many transactions you think you will process in a month (or a year), and the total dollar amount of those transactions (maybe broken down by keyed vs. swiped), then you can calculate the total cost to run those using the figures quoted by ICS, and compare that to the total cost to run the same transactions through PayPal or Square or what-have-you.

all you want addressed is your question about a credit card processing 'system' ... lots of good suggestions here.
and maybe you don't want any other suggestions at all. still, i'm going to say this ....
a smoker who violates your rules about not smoking in your cabin will likely fight a charge for cleanup after smoking. regardless of how you try to charge them. period.
i ended up paying additional costs to fight a chargeback on a damage fee well deserved by a bad guest. so it cost me more in the long run and it hurt.
i don't say this to be vicious, but from experience..
I completely agree!
I just like to try and cover ALL my bases before I jump in.
We have been extremely lucky, through our screening processes.
We have had two minor damages, and both were invoiced and paid after the fact.
Now that we are getting over 60% monthly occupancy, I am just playing devil's advocate
I getting the best systems in place. MANY thanks for ALL the input here. Take care, B

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
What more questions do I need to ask? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks, B.
Little_Easy_Cabins said:
No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
What more questions do I need to ask? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks, B
I discovered a 2.90 Visa Network fee per month
$5 statement fee
.25 connection fee
Cards that became listed a non-qual and when asked what that was, I was told there had to be some sort of intervention like numbers keyed in - NEVER keyed in numbers, they were ALWAYS swiped but there were deemed non-qual and how do i fight that??
And I am not even going to get into the PCI compliance issue. I did not and do not take cc numbers online, did not and do not have them on my computer and it took a lot of effort to get them to stuff that issue up an orifice. They do find extra fees - each company has their own names for them and ways to assess them. Lots of luck. And I really am not being snarky - I really do wish you luck with it.

Now about your smoking guest. You have a fee for noncompliance but no way to charge them? This will not help you with your current problem but why not create a deposit (on top of rental), this is done a lot in the rental world. If they leave everything intact, you issue a refund of their deposit. If they smoke or otherwise damage the place, it is taken from the deposit. As for the current matter, the only thing I can suggest is send them an invoice. If they do not pay, your only recourse is to take them to small claims court or move on..
copperhead said:
Now about your smoking guest. You have a fee for noncompliance but no way to charge them? This will not help you with your current problem but why not create a deposit (on top of rental), this is done a lot in the rental world. If they leave everything intact, you issue a refund of their deposit. If they smoke or otherwise damage the place, it is taken from the deposit. As for the current matter, the only thing I can suggest is send them an invoice. If they do not pay, your only recourse is to take them to small claims court or move on.
I have had problems with this in the past. If and when we get into a problem like this, I just send them to a collection agent. I have had great luck with it. I have a really good agent. It does go on their credit score and if I do not collect at least I can get them that way. It will haunt them for 7 years. I have even had people call us after having in on their score for a year and decide to pay it just to get it cleared up. Some will not care. But at least I get the last jab!!!
Bob, what collection agency do you use? I will file the info away & hopefully never have to use it.
Many thanks for all your comments too! Ta' B

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
Little_Easy_Cabins said:
No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
$5 statement fee
.25 connection fee
Cards that became listed a non-qual and when asked what that was, I was told there had to be some sort of intervention like numbers keyed in - NEVER keyed in numbers, they were ALWAYS swiped but there were deemed non-qual and how do i fight that??
And I am not even going to get into the PCI compliance issue. I did not and do not take cc numbers online, did not and do not have them on my computer and it took a lot of effort to get them to stuff that issue up an orifice. They do find extra fees - each company has their own names for them and ways to assess them. Lots of luck. And I really am not being snarky - I really do wish you luck with it.
Thanks!, what company are you using? Ta' B

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
Does any have experience with
ICS (Intergrated Card Services) OR East Commerce Solutions?

East's Quote is:
No Contract,
Monthly Printer/Terminal of $ 4.95
No Annual Fee, Monthly fee of $ 6.00
PCI Compliance Monthly Fee $ 7.00
Transaction Fee of .10 cents (does anyone else miss the cents sign on a keyboard?)
and per transaction:
0.25% % - Swiped Debit
1.71% % - Swiped Credit
0.25% % - Keyed Debit
2.0% % - Keyed Credit

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
That offer looks pretty good at first glance, but I don't have a lot to compare too.
On another forum, somebody had posted a spreadsheet calculator for comparing processors.
At 6.50 per month ($78 per year), and assuming you do an average of 2 transactions each day for 360 days ($144), and assuming all your transactions are swiped credit at 1.59%, you will have to process almost $20,000 in the year before you will be beating the flat 2.75% fee from Square for swiped transactions (as an example).
It's actually not a difficult calculation -- just estimate how many transactions you think you will process in a month (or a year), and the total dollar amount of those transactions (maybe broken down by keyed vs. swiped), then you can calculate the total cost to run those using the figures quoted by ICS, and compare that to the total cost to run the same transactions through PayPal or Square or what-have-you.
For many reasons, listed below, Square is out.
The calculations are quite easy, it's the fine print & contracts which give me pause.

Does anyone know about PCI Compliance ($7.00 month):
Is this a state surcharge or standard, account the board fee? Thanks, B

i don't say this to be vicious, but from experience..
seashanty said:
i don't say this to be vicious, but from experience.
seashanty couldn't be vicious if she wanted to!

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
Harborfields said:
Where can I find this?

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
Little_Easy_Cabins said:
No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
$5 statement fee
.25 connection fee
Do not remember the name of the first cc processor, second was Regions, and the last and final was First Data and the also started in the last half of 2012, a minimum monthly amount that if my transactions did not meet, they just took the difference from my account. I went to Square. I am small - 3 rooms, in an off-the-beaten-path location that I have MADE into a bit of a destination - so I do not generate tens of thousands of dollars in charges each year so they stick it to you as the little guy who needs them (so you can take credit cards) more than they need you. What I hope they wake up to find out is that there are more "little guys" than there are big generators if/when the little guys leave in droves.
In my opinion, it was the little guys leaving in droves that caused bandb.com to come up with the Diamond Coll ection rate - they just soaked everyone who was convinced they could not survive without being #1 on that site so they paid the freight. It certainly made up for a few of us who waved bye-bye.

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
For many reasons, listed below, Square is out.
The calculations are quite easy, it's the fine print & contracts which give me pause.

Does anyone know about PCI Compliance ($7.00 month):
Is this a state surcharge or standard, account the board fee? Thanks, B
It is a fee they can stick to the merchants and it can be any amount they want (think they can get). Regions wanted $25 per month.

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
Little_Easy_Cabins said:
No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
$5 statement fee
.25 connection fee
Do not remember the name of the first cc processor, second was Regions, and the last and final was First Data and the also started in the last half of 2012, a minimum monthly amount that if my transactions did not meet, they just took the difference from my account. I went to Square. I am small - 3 rooms, in an off-the-beaten-path location that I have MADE into a bit of a destination - so I do not generate tens of thousands of dollars in charges each year so they stick it to you as the little guy who needs them (so you can take credit cards) more than they need you. What I hope they wake up to find out is that there are more "little guys" than there are big generators if/when the little guys leave in droves.
In my opinion, it was the little guys leaving in droves that caused bandb.com to come up with the Diamond Coll ection rate - they just soaked everyone who was convinced they could not survive without being #1 on that site so they paid the freight. It certainly made up for a few of us who waved bye-bye.
Thanks! B

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
These fees sound too low, I would be very careful. Visa & MC fees may be in ADDITION to the processing fees. Visa, MC, et al have a minimum rate that must be charged to them through your processor and the rates you posted probably don't include those.

copperhead said:
Bob, what collection agency do you use? I will file the info away & hopefully never have to use it.
Many thanks for all your comments too! Ta' B
If any of you have any customer accounts that you are unable to collect on then give this guy a call. It will be well worth the time for you. They have collected on many of the bills I have sent over.
Its very easy to get set up and they will start the same day. I had one account they collected on the first day.
Their fees are simple. No collect, no fee. If they do collect they keep 50%. I was ok with that. 50% was better than nothing.
If you do use them or contact them mention Bob with Crystal Cove sent you there.
Good luck!
We use Tucker, Albin & Associates
My contact there is: Daniel Hall
[email protected]
877-455-4572x505
tuckeralbindotcom
I called him and told him if it would be ok to post this info. He is ready to go when ever anyone needs them.

No Contract,
and per transaction:
0.39% - Swiped Debit
1.59% - Swiped Credit
1.99% - Keyed Debit
2.19% - Keyed Credit
Does any have experience with
ICS (Intergrated Card Services) OR East Commerce Solutions?

East's Quote is:
No Contract,
Monthly Printer/Terminal of $ 4.95
No Annual Fee, Monthly fee of $ 6.00
PCI Compliance Monthly Fee $ 7.00
Transaction Fee of .10 cents (does anyone else miss the cents sign on a keyboard?)
and per transaction:
0.25% % - Swiped Debit
1.71% % - Swiped Credit
0.25% % - Keyed Debit
2.0% % - Keyed Credit
In re those fees- those are the fees V/MC charge the processor. The processor charges fees on top of those. Those are the fees you are missing. Also, as I said earlier, those are the plain vanilla, no rewards cards fees that they are telling you. Rewards cards are about a 1/2 % more. Business cards are almost a full point more. International cards are also more.
Ask yourself how many people do you know who have a card with no rewards/points? Maybe 1 every month will show up. But, the biggest thing we hear at check-in in re cards? 'Oh, let me use this one, I almost have enough to get a free plane ticket.'
Guests do NOT know that YOU are paying for that 'free' plane ticket.
Debit cards...you have to have a pin pad to get those rates. Otherwise it goes thru as a charge at the higher rate.
We get calls all the time from processors who tell us they can lower our monthly fees. All we have to do is send them a statement from the previous month with all of our transactions and they will lower our bill. So far? Of the ones who have even called back not a single one could save us more than $2/month. And that guy called incessantly telling me I was losing $2/month by not switching. I finally asked if his company would buy out my contract at the processor we use and then he stopped calling. But, it's a new year...he'll start up again I'm sure.

Back