How Do You Handle a Holiday that Falls in the Middle of the Week?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
I'm thinking of the 4th of July that falls midweek this year. Would the weekend preceeding be considered a holiday weekend? I doubt people would be celebrating the weekend after. Or should I just ignore it?

We don't charge more for holidays so will ignore it. We do require two night stay on weekends, any weekend.
Riki

Nope... July 4th is on a Saturday this year.... two night minimum
poke.gif

The 4th of July is on Saturday this year, so not mid-week. Most federal workers get Friday off as the holiday, so we have our two-night minimum in place for both Friday and Saturday right now. For a Monday holiday, we usually have it on both Saturday and Sunday. When it's a mid-week holiday we usually put our weekend rates in effect but not the minimum stay.

Fourth of July is on a Saturday this year. Not on a weekday til 2012.
We generally attach it to the weekend it is being "observed"... and it depends on which holiday it is....we don't charge more, but we do put on minimum night stays...

Sorry, I read my calendar wrong for July 4th, but good to know for other holidays that do fall mid-week.

We generally attach it to the weekend it is being "observed"... and it depends on which holiday it is....we don't charge more, but we do put on minimum night stays....
Willowpondgj said:
We generally attach it to the weekend it is being "observed"... and it depends on which holiday it is....we don't charge more, but we do put on minimum night stays...
Same here. We require 2 nights. I know some folks go for 3, but that never flew around here. nice if you can get it tho.

We require a three night stay for holiday weekends. If the holiday is midweek, then the closest weekend gets the treatment. All other weekends year round require two nights.

The only 'middle of the week' holidays we pay any attention to are Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year's. Any 'national' holidays that are not on a weekend I ignore because they won't be busy around here.

We charge our weekend rate. If the holiday is on a Monday, then Sunday also gets charged at the weekend rate.

July is a 2 night minimum month for us, period. So it doesn't really matter, for us, what day the holiday falls on.

I am with Bree. Only Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years make a difference. My city does Independence Day on July 1 so the band will play (that way they can have their Fourth doing whatever). This is our 12th annual Independence Concert.
Hijack - sorry
We got another piece tonight. We added Fever to the program. Washingon Post, Fever, Country Dance Chorale (a theme on Simple Pleasures weaves throughout), Battle Hymn of the Republic, Armed Forces Salute, Jimmy Buffet Medley, and Stars & Stripes Forever... Followed by about 30 min of fireworks! We are GOOD!
http://www.shinnstonband.com/media/ 3 of our songs are up on this site.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULQOyffeWA This is Sleigh Ride frpm our Dec 2008 concert - when half the band was missing because of weather.

We did away with our 2-day minimum and just increased our rate for weekends and holidays. Friday and Saturday are considered weekends. Sunday normally gets the standard weekday rate unless it falls before a Monday holiday. That allows us to charge the increased rate for a 3-day weekend.
We tried it with giving a discount for 2-day stays, but had few takers. Ever since we switched over to the new system, we stay pretty much booked on the weekends, which is fine with us.

Back