How do you handle deposits for multiple reservations from the same guest?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We are shooting for a September opening for our B&B and keep coming up with unanswered questions (our own) concerning how to handle certain situations.
A little background: We live near an area that has a VERY LARGE monthly flea market. It's held over the course of 4 days and has become something of a mecca for antique dealers etc. It is very likely that we will get a large percentage our business from this monthly event.
We have been told by the local visitors bureau and chamber of commerce that it may even be likely that we could have the same guests book us for every event weekend for the whole year!
Our question is this: How do you protect yourself with a deposit for multiple advanced bookings? We would be blocking out our biggest revenue stream for maybe a whole year, thereby losing any potential bookings we would have otherwise.
We've already decided that a 30-day cancellation noticed would be required, but I don't want to get into a cycle of mulitple credit card fees for multiple deposts.
Does that make sense? Any suggestions?

If it is a repeat guest you would owe them the courtesy of holding their room without charging it until they check in or check out - after they stayed with you the first time and you found them to be worthy guests.
Why would you charge them a deposit every time? Deposits are charged in advance for various reasons.
If it is someone who stays with you regularly, you won't be charging them upfront. (I don't charge any of reservation upfront unless I have a gut feeling about them).
You can charge them if they no show or cancel at some point of course. Remember our guests become friends after staying with us. Esp if they repeat and put money in our pockets often.

I realize, based on previous posts that I have read, that I am in the minority in this response, but here goes:
I take a deposit for 50% of the stay regardless of whether they are repeat or not. Wait until they book an entire weekend and then cancel last minute leaving you with an empty weekend and a loss of well over $1,000. We'll see how you feel about your new "friends" then!
I also charge a service fee for all cancellations.
Always refund them after you have rebooked the rooms, if you are able to.
Your so called "friends", otherwise known as "customers" will appreciate the effort you took in rebooking the room and giving them a refund, and if you are unable to rebook, if they really are your friends, they will understand why you can't give them a refund.
Build the cost of your merchant service fees into your room price, and then don't worry about it.
This is business folks!
wink_smile.gif
But what a blessing to have that kind of consistent business at your door!

I think you are going to get several variations in answers to this question. You have to decide which matches your personality and your needs.
To me, 30 days cancellation seems steep, but part of the decision on this has to relate to what is common for your area. If everyone else is doing 30 days, then that is fine. If everyone else is doing 2 weeks and you are doing 30 days, then that may limit the quantity of your reservations. You can only do what the market will bear.
I would never hold a room for which I do not have a deposit, that being the whole reason for the deposit. We do have a few "super-regulars" for which we sometimes don't charge a deposit. But even for many of our return guests, we still charge one. As JBJ said, you usually become friends with your repeats, BUT that is not required and sometimes may not happen. They use you for lodging, you use them for income...that's the business. Some return guests, as they get to know you better, become more thoughtful and some become more imposing.
If I had a situation where you have the same people coming back every month, I might set up a rollover deposit where they give you a deposit for the first stay (lets say in July), then when they stay with you in July, they pay the full bill for July at which point you carry the deposit forward to hold the room for August, then in August, they pay the full amount (minus any repeat guest discounts) and you carry the deposit forward to Sept, and repeat this each month.
My suggestion is that no matter what method you employ, you stay consistent about it to avoid confusion on your part AND to prevent awkward moments where return guest A compares notes with return guest B. If return guest B finds out that A gets a better arrangement it may result in return guest B no more.

If it is always the same person/people booking, take ONE deposit and keep it on file for ALL their stays. If they default on one stay and you keep the deposit, get a second one for the next stay.
What you want to think about is whether or not you want to be a hard ass with guests who are basically paying your bills every month who might have an emergency. If they are always having 'emergencies' then fire them as guests.

Good suggestions all. Thank you.
I agree. Business first then the warm fuzzies. Heck, I have friends I wouldn't want staying here, so frendship is not paramount.

I agree. Business first then the warm fuzzies. Heck, I have friends I wouldn't want staying here, so frendship is not paramount..
ProudTexan said:
Heck, I have friends I wouldn't want staying here, so frendship is not paramount.
LOL True, but funny. ;)

If it is always the same person/people booking, take ONE deposit and keep it on file for ALL their stays. If they default on one stay and you keep the deposit, get a second one for the next stay.
What you want to think about is whether or not you want to be a hard ass with guests who are basically paying your bills every month who might have an emergency. If they are always having 'emergencies' then fire them as guests..
Bree said:
What you want to think about is whether or not you want to be a hard ass with guests who are basically paying your bills every month who might have an emergency. If they are always having 'emergencies' then fire them as guests.
Bree you and I are supposed to be the tough old biddies remember? Crotchety innkeepers, what happened, why are we the nice guys on this one?
Any guest who knows you require a deposit is happy to give you one. If you have the same reliable guest week in and week out for a year, even once a month for a year, you better treat them with some due respect. They are in your HOME (even if it is a detached cabin). If you take them five times and then think they will default on the 6th? Then something is wrong there. They should be consistent enough. You have their cc details. What is there to worry about?
Like the others have mentioned if you take the deposit the first time, then they know you mean business and the rest is water under the bridge.
I have NEVER run a deposit on a regular guest. I have their cc details and can charge them. I had one who is here every Sept for a family reunion. One year there was flooding at HER place. What do I do? Tell her to get stuffed? I am running your deposit anyway? Of course not.
This is NOT a normal business. Most innkeepers are much more involved with their guests than a hotel. That is why I mentioned friends. If someone refuses to be kind and friendly with guests, then that is up to them. I won't go that road. Our guests leave here as friends. Most of them. Thatis the joy of this business, otherwise we are simply maids and butlers and cooks. If you want to run a hotel, then run the deposit each and every time, the same time of the week or month.

I agree. Business first then the warm fuzzies. Heck, I have friends I wouldn't want staying here, so frendship is not paramount..
ProudTexan said:
I agree. Business first then the warm fuzzies. Heck, I have friends I wouldn't want staying here, so frendship is not paramount.
Sigh...
What the! You better be willing to give of yourself or you will only have icky guests who want a place to sleep. Do you not want REPEAT BUSINESS? I am missing something here. Why do you call your place a B&B if you are only going to treat them like hotel guests and you a hired front desk innkeeper?
Please report back with any changes to the daily operations after you open. Did you tighten up ship or loosen the load a bit? Remember, we report horror stories on this forum as a way to complain or share experiences. They are far and few inbetween. We do not typically have terrible guests who rip you off, steal from you destroy your home. We can't all report only the great stories and seemingly boast, plus we learn from the horror stories.
wink_smile.gif

What you want to think about is whether or not you want to be a hard ass with guests who are basically paying your bills every month who might have an emergency. If they are always having 'emergencies' then fire them as guests..
Bree said:
Bree you and I are supposed to be the tough old biddies remember? Crotchety innkeepers, what happened, why are we the nice guys on this one?
Any guest who knows you require a deposit is happy to give you one. If you have the same reliable guest week in and week out for a year, even once a month for a year, you better treat them with some due respect. They are in your HOME (even if it is a detached cabin). If you take them five times and then think they will default on the 6th? Then something is wrong there. They should be consistent enough. You have their cc details. What is there to worry about?
Like the others have mentioned if you take the deposit the first time, then they know you mean business and the rest is water under the bridge.
I have NEVER run a deposit on a regular guest. I have their cc details and can charge them. I had one who is here every Sept for a family reunion. One year there was flooding at HER place. What do I do? Tell her to get stuffed? I am running your deposit anyway? Of course not.
This is NOT a normal business. Most innkeepers are much more involved with their guests than a hotel. That is why I mentioned friends. If someone refuses to be kind and friendly with guests, then that is up to them. I won't go that road. Our guests leave here as friends. Most of them. Thatis the joy of this business, otherwise we are simply maids and butlers and cooks. If you want to run a hotel, then run the deposit each and every time, the same time of the week or month.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I don't remember anyone ever calling you "old" ...LOL But you do seem to have stumbled upon some happy vibes on this one.
I know you've heard this before, but I'll throw it in here for those who haven't. If you don't take the deposit on the credit card at the time of reservation, the processor will not side with you in the event of a chargeback dispute over you charging it if they don't show. Also if you have a policy in place regarding deposits and you don't adhere to it, the processor can use that as an excuse not to side with you on a chargeback dispute. When it comes to credit cards and chargebacks, stick to your policy and take what you want as deposit at the time of the reservation because running it after the fact (and revealing that you have kept the data on file) may lead to a loss of that charge.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I don't remember anyone ever calling you "old" ...LOL But you do seem to have stumbled upon some happy vibes on this one.
I know you've heard this before, but I'll throw it in here for those who haven't. If you don't take the deposit on the credit card at the time of reservation, the processor will not side with you in the event of a chargeback dispute over you charging it if they don't show. Also if you have a policy in place regarding deposits and you don't adhere to it, the processor can use that as an excuse not to side with you on a chargeback dispute. When it comes to credit cards and chargebacks, stick to your policy and take what you want as deposit at the time of the reservation because running it after the fact (and revealing that you have kept the data on file) may lead to a loss of that charge.
swirt said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
You mentioned to sticking to the policies and I agree 100%. But what I do and what our policies state are two things. Shoot me. The policies are in place so GUESTS STICK WITH THEM. If I had a one week booking or multiple night youbetchya I will charge that deposit. But if it was one person who stayed with me regularly and paid approriately, then he is on my FAVORITE GUEST LIST. Just like business travelers, they get to cancel much later than our regular guests. The regular guests do not need to know this. Business travelers - local connections get much more lee-way (cuz I forgot how to spell leniency) than guests I have never met.
I will not go to court over a one night stay chargeback. We have discussed this ad nauseum. There is no amount of hassle worth $150. NONE, ZILCH, NADA.
My use of the word friend seemed to be taken wrong. Not sure what word I could use. FAVORITE GUEST - REGULAR GUEST - LIKABLE THEY PAY OUR BILLS GUEST comes to mind. They DO get special treatment, every time.
But of course, lenghty stays, charge em, charge em every time if it is a week each time. Of course.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
swirt said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
You mentioned to sticking to the policies and I agree 100%. But what I do and what our policies state are two things. Shoot me. The policies are in place so GUESTS STICK WITH THEM. If I had a one week booking or multiple night youbetchya I will charge that deposit. But if it was one person who stayed with me regularly and paid approriately, then he is on my FAVORITE GUEST LIST. Just like business travelers, they get to cancel much later than our regular guests. The regular guests do not need to know this. Business travelers - local connections get much more lee-way (cuz I forgot how to spell leniency) than guests I have never met.
I will not go to court over a one night stay chargeback. We have discussed this ad nauseum. There is no amount of hassle worth $150. NONE, ZILCH, NADA.
My use of the word friend seemed to be taken wrong. Not sure what word I could use. FAVORITE GUEST - REGULAR GUEST - LIKABLE THEY PAY OUR BILLS GUEST comes to mind. They DO get special treatment, every time.
But of course, lenghty stays, charge em, charge em every time if it is a week each time. Of course.
I know what you mean. Some guests are repeat repeats and get better status and more flexible policies.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I didn't mean court...I mean, customer files chargeback complaint. Processor sends you a form to fill out. You fill it out. Decision is made. If you charged the deposit after the no-show and or deviated from your policies they pull the charge from your bank account and give it back to the cardholder. I should point out though that not everyone who gets charged a deposit after they no-show or cancel will file a chargeback complaint.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
swirt said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I know what you mean. Some guests are repeat repeats and get better status and more flexible policies.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I didn't mean court...I mean, customer files chargeback complaint. Processor sends you a form to fill out. You fill it out. Decision is made. If you charged the deposit after the no-show and or deviated from your policies they pull the charge from your bank account and give it back to the cardholder. I should point out though that not everyone who gets charged a deposit after they no-show or cancel will file a chargeback complaint.
swirt said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
True. Most never even contact you at all when they no-show. You wait, expecting someone to call and beg to take it back off and they don't.

ProudTexan said:
Sigh...
What the! You better be willing to give of yourself or you will only have icky guests who want a place to sleep. Do you not want REPEAT BUSINESS? I am missing something here. Why do you call your place a B&B if you are only going to treat them like hotel guests and you a hired front desk innkeeper?
Please report back with any changes to the daily operations after you open. Did you tighten up ship or loosen the load a bit? Remember, we report horror stories on this forum as a way to complain or share experiences. They are far and few inbetween. We do not typically have terrible guests who rip you off, steal from you destroy your home. We can't all report only the great stories and seemingly boast, plus we learn from the horror stories.
wink_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
ProudTexan said:
Sigh...
Why do you call your place a B&B if you are only going to treat them like hotel guests and you a hired front desk innkeeper?
I never said I was going to be unfriendly or unhospitible. As I said, this is a business first. I'm sure you don't allow your "friends" to watch TV in your private space or raid your refrigerator. There are boundaries, my dear. We (and they) shall all observe them and we shall all be happy and friendly with welcoming smiles on our faces. (Valium or Bourbon helps.)
tounge_smile.gif

ProudTexan said:
Sigh...
wink_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
ProudTexan said:
Sigh...
Why do you call your place a B&B if you are only going to treat them like hotel guests and you a hired front desk innkeeper?
I never said I was going to be unfriendly or unhospitible. As I said, this is a business first. I'm sure you don't allow your "friends" to watch TV in your private space or raid your refrigerator. There are boundaries, my dear. We (and they) shall all observe them and we shall all be happy and friendly with welcoming smiles on our faces. (Valium or Bourbon helps.)
tounge_smile.gif

Wine too!
tounge_smile.gif

WW

Wir bieten elegante Schlichte Brautkleider zu günstige Preisen online. Custom kleider design nach dem Foto. So einfach finden Sie Ihr Traum Brautkleid.Herbst Brautkleid zu schaffen eine romantische und ästhetische Atmosphäre
Viele Frauen zu träumen, um eine romantische und ästhetische Hochzeit zu einem unvergesslichen angenehme Erinnerung in ihrem Leben zu schaffen. Es gibt Hochzeiten in allen Jahreszeiten statt. jedoch schwer zu schaffen eine romantische und ästhetische Atmosphäre im Sommer und Winter wegen der unerträglichen Wetter. Stattdessen werden im Frühjahr und Herbst die gemütliche und angenehme Jahreszeiten eines Jahres um. Das Klima ist mild, weder zu heiß noch zu kalt in diesen beiden Jahreszeiten. es ist eine gute Idee, die Hochzeit im Frühling und Herbst zu halten. Wenn Sie über eine ästhetische Hochzeit denken, dann der Herbst ist ideal. Ein Herbst Hochzeit ist nicht komplett ohne eine erstaunliche Herbst Brautkleid.
Der Herbst ist eine Jahreszeit voller Sinn für Ästhetik. Die natürliche Landschaft ist wunderschön und hinreißend im Herbst. Der goldene Herbst Blätter bedecken die Wege und damit einen poetischen Malerei. scheint alles still und friedlich im Herbst im Gegensatz zu den schwülen Sommer und die numblingly eisigen Winter. es gibt keinen Grund, nicht zu der Hochzeit im Herbst halten, weil sie so attraktiv ist. wie im Winter Wind trägt ein wenig Kälte abendkleider damen abendkleider damen grünes ballkleid grünes ballkleid cocktailkleider online shop online brautkleider kaufen online brautkleider kaufen ballkleide onlineshop abendmode , abendmode abendkleider ist es ratsam, ein Hochzeitskleid von relativ schweren Stoffen wählen. Satin ist ein klassisches Wahl. etwas mit Herbst-Stil ist auch notwendig zu betonen das Thema und den Stil eines Herbst-Hochzeit. Sie können den Stil durch Ihr Hochzeitskleid zu reflektieren. Wählen Sie beispielsweise ein weißes Brautkleid mit etwas Gold darin. oder Sie können einen goldenen Gürtel um die Taille. eine goldene Pumpe funktioniert auch.
braut und abendkleider braut und abendkleider brautkleider für kinder brautkleid große größe
günstiges brautkleid

Back