How do you handle WiFi access codes?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We have the code available in the room on a stand we place right on the bed. It's also posted on the bulletin board near the coffee. All this morning I have been asked, 'What's the code for the wireless?'
I'm thinking of handing out cards at check-in. No one seems to be reading anything. We do point out the bulletin board and the info on the bed. I'm at a loss.

We have a welcome letter inserted on the front cover of the room binder. The wifi access code is clearly presented at the bottom of the page. When I show guest to their room, I point this out along with the other room amenities.

We have a sign posted in the entryway. And we have a 4x6 sign in each room with information on the B&B. At the bottom we have the wifi information. We use a P-Touch and put a label on the outside with the wifi password, so when we change it, we can just rip off the old label and put on a new one. And this way, guests realize that the password does change from time to time.

Essentially, no one is doing anything differently than what we do but you're having different results. Hmmm.

Essentially, no one is doing anything differently than what we do but you're having different results. Hmmm..
Thinking about it and for the cost of doing it, you might as well order a set of VP freebee cards that read:
Network Name: BestB&BOnEarth
Network Password: CantRememberAnything
And when they ask, hand it to them.
And just for the schadenfreude of it, make the password something like:
&%h%m0$mn88c@e#
And if they ask, you simply say that it keeps guests from giving out the password to others. Sure, it's on the card, but it's going to take you 10 minutes to type it in.
(I know you won't do it and neither will I, but just the thought of doing it makes me smile. Can you imagine all those iPhone people trying to type that in on their little keyboards?)
Incidentally, have I shown everyone on here how to make a QR code for a network for Android phones? The Apple people can scan it, but they will need to cut and paste... android just connects to the network.

Essentially, no one is doing anything differently than what we do but you're having different results. Hmmm..
Thinking about it and for the cost of doing it, you might as well order a set of VP freebee cards that read:
Network Name: BestB&BOnEarth
Network Password: CantRememberAnything
And when they ask, hand it to them.
And just for the schadenfreude of it, make the password something like:
&%h%m0$mn88c@e#
And if they ask, you simply say that it keeps guests from giving out the password to others. Sure, it's on the card, but it's going to take you 10 minutes to type it in.
(I know you won't do it and neither will I, but just the thought of doing it makes me smile. Can you imagine all those iPhone people trying to type that in on their little keyboards?)
Incidentally, have I shown everyone on here how to make a QR code for a network for Android phones? The Apple people can scan it, but they will need to cut and paste... android just connects to the network.
Oh, no, for schadefreude the code needs to be WhatDidTheInnkeeperTellMe.
I wouldn't torment guests with a string of alternating letter/numerals. Not yet anyway!
I was just going to print cards out myself rather than order them. Altho, maybe get a run of free VP cards because they do get left in the rooms.

I have the Wifi password, along with breakfast time and a 24 hour emergency cell # on a stand next to the bed. When I check the guests in I go over to it and point at the code so that I know that they know about it. It is rare that I ever am asked again what the code is.

These are the people who would call the front desk at a HOTEL and ask the very same question when it is on a Tepee card right next to the phone. You can give them a card and they will leave it somewhere.
The problem is the guest, not how you are posting it. As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.

Again, seems I am getting a run of guests who aren't paying attention. I've asked this before but it keeps coming up- if you were at a hotel wouldn't you assume they had the info somewhere in the room for you and actually look at the written words that are provided?
We went from having the info on the dresser to putting it right on the bed where the guest must touch it in order to lie down. Hasn't seemed to make much difference.
Like the little trash can for the coffee area. Are we so stupid as innkeepers that we would provide all of this tea, coffee, desserts, sugar packets, paper napkins, etc and FORGET to put out a trash can? Hmmm. Maybe I (the guest) should just open my eyes!

I write by hand on the back of a free VP business card. Both the door code and the wifi code. Works 99% of the time for me.

My password is on a sign in the front window of my house. I did print up cards and had them in the rooms but as stated - who read them? So I now tell people as I show them to the room what the password is. They seem to register the words wifi followed by password is.....

Right after I blow them away by telling them their cell phone will not work here, I quickly follow it up by saying "but we have wi-fi and the password is in your binder". They're so relieved to have wi-fi that they remember where the password is!
wow.gif

Again, seems I am getting a run of guests who aren't paying attention. I've asked this before but it keeps coming up- if you were at a hotel wouldn't you assume they had the info somewhere in the room for you and actually look at the written words that are provided?
We went from having the info on the dresser to putting it right on the bed where the guest must touch it in order to lie down. Hasn't seemed to make much difference.
Like the little trash can for the coffee area. Are we so stupid as innkeepers that we would provide all of this tea, coffee, desserts, sugar packets, paper napkins, etc and FORGET to put out a trash can? Hmmm. Maybe I (the guest) should just open my eyes!.
Change the password to SEX. See if they notice it, then.
Then again, you could change it to NONE and then watch them scratch their head trying to put in ______.

Right after I blow them away by telling them their cell phone will not work here, I quickly follow it up by saying "but we have wi-fi and the password is in your binder". They're so relieved to have wi-fi that they remember where the password is!
wow.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
Right after I blow them away by telling them their cell phone will not work here...
Don't know if it would work for you, but I've seen a thing advertised from AT&T called a "3G MicroCell" that lets you have cell service in places that don't currently have it, IF they have an internet connection.
Instead of the cell phone connecting to the nearest cell phone tower, it connects to the microcell at your place. The microcell then sends the cell call over your Internet connection.
http://www.att.com/standalone/3gmicrocell/?fbid=PBIcsVJd165#/features
I think they charge for it, but if it would work for you, it might be worth the cost to give your guests cell service and make them happy!

wow.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
Right after I blow them away by telling them their cell phone will not work here...
Don't know if it would work for you, but I've seen a thing advertised from AT&T called a "3G MicroCell" that lets you have cell service in places that don't currently have it, IF they have an internet connection.
Instead of the cell phone connecting to the nearest cell phone tower, it connects to the microcell at your place. The microcell then sends the cell call over your Internet connection.
I think they charge for it, but if it would work for you, it might be worth the cost to give your guests cell service and make them happy!
Arkansawyer said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Thanks Arky, but that won't help us either. We are in the middle of no man's land. Our internet is satellite and we're limited to 5 gig per week and we pay $100 a month just for that. Our speed is excruciatingly slow compared to most and we can't even do skype or voip. We just happen to be in a pocket of nothingness in the middle of a major tourist artery. It makes no sense.

My password is on a sign in the front window of my house. I did print up cards and had them in the rooms but as stated - who read them? So I now tell people as I show them to the room what the password is. They seem to register the words wifi followed by password is......
gillumhouse said:
My password is on a sign in the front window of my house.
poke.gif

My password is on a sign in the front window of my house. I did print up cards and had them in the rooms but as stated - who read them? So I now tell people as I show them to the room what the password is. They seem to register the words wifi followed by password is......
gillumhouse said:
My password is on a sign in the front window of my house.
poke.gif

We were a Blueprint Community - a training program by the Fed eral Home Lo an Bank of Pi ttsb urgh for revita lizing a community. They gave us signs to hang all over the City proclaiming this. (We won the $1000 grant that was the prize for the best strategic plan.) That sign is in the front window. It is a photo that was used in that brochure also.
SandyStarek.JPG

I just got a new router. I have set up acess for us as well as one labeled "Guest" As we are out in the boonies the password is very simple ie:11111 and is taped to the mirror in each room. So far so good.
BBBBob

Back