How do you know when guests are not in their rooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
We actually put assigned parking spaces with the name of each room on the space. That can give you a clue who is in but of course, it is not foolproof.

We do a couple of things to keep track of who is coming and going. We have a dry erase board in the kitchen which lists the rooms, names, time of breakfast, dietary restrictions and make of car. That way if it's insanely crazy, we can always look to see who's car is in the lot. The other thing we have is a driveway monitor (a hose, sort of like a gas station) which does a ding-dong in the inn's kitchen and our separate innkeeper's house. This way I know if someone has drive up or has left. I can't tell you how much this monitor has helped me. I no longer feel like I have to be on alert, listening to hear a car door or constantly looking out a window to see if a check-in has pulled up.
We only refresh rooms until 12:00 noon. After that, they can let us know if they need any clean towels, etc. I have thought about doing a door hanger, but like a previous poster, didn't want the guest to think if they hung it out we would freshen their room any time of the day or night. I still might do the door hanger, but it would say only "ROOM FRESHENING NOT NEEDED". That way I would know not to bother, yet it doesn't give guests another option..
Breakfast Diva said:
The other thing we have is a driveway monitor (a hose, sort of like a gas station) which does a ding-dong in the inn's kitchen and our separate innkeeper's house. This way I know if someone has drive up or has left. I can't tell you how much this monitor has helped me. I no longer feel like I have to be on alert, listening to hear a car door or constantly looking out a window to see if a check-in has pulled up.
I like that idea a lot - not just for guests, but we've had problems lately with all the snow of college kids whose own parking lot isn't plowed deciding that it's okay to park in our lot. After we've spent a lot of time and moved our own cars elsewhere so our guests would have a place to park. Would you mind sharing where you got your monitor, maybe the brand name, and is it battery-operated or plug-in?
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
The other thing we have is a driveway monitor (a hose, sort of like a gas station) which does a ding-dong in the inn's kitchen and our separate innkeeper's house. This way I know if someone has drive up or has left. I can't tell you how much this monitor has helped me. I no longer feel like I have to be on alert, listening to hear a car door or constantly looking out a window to see if a check-in has pulled up.
I like that idea a lot - not just for guests, but we've had problems lately with all the snow of college kids whose own parking lot isn't plowed deciding that it's okay to park in our lot. After we've spent a lot of time and moved our own cars elsewhere so our guests would have a place to park. Would you mind sharing where you got your monitor, maybe the brand name, and is it battery-operated or plug-in?
We use it too, it's the Driveway Reporter. Works OK, but goes off sometimes during a strong wind, and ALWAYS excites the dogs and makes them bark.

We do a couple of things to keep track of who is coming and going. We have a dry erase board in the kitchen which lists the rooms, names, time of breakfast, dietary restrictions and make of car. That way if it's insanely crazy, we can always look to see who's car is in the lot. The other thing we have is a driveway monitor (a hose, sort of like a gas station) which does a ding-dong in the inn's kitchen and our separate innkeeper's house. This way I know if someone has drive up or has left. I can't tell you how much this monitor has helped me. I no longer feel like I have to be on alert, listening to hear a car door or constantly looking out a window to see if a check-in has pulled up.
We only refresh rooms until 12:00 noon. After that, they can let us know if they need any clean towels, etc. I have thought about doing a door hanger, but like a previous poster, didn't want the guest to think if they hung it out we would freshen their room any time of the day or night. I still might do the door hanger, but it would say only "ROOM FRESHENING NOT NEEDED". That way I would know not to bother, yet it doesn't give guests another option..
Breakfast Diva said:
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
We use it too, it's the Driveway Reporter. Works OK, but goes off sometimes during a strong wind, and ALWAYS excites the dogs and makes them bark.
Little Blue said:
Thanks for replying with the info - I'll check it out. No dogs here - I don't think my geriatric kitty can hear much any more.

Breakfast Diva said:
The one we have is a Dakota Alert. There is a 9 volt battery in the unit that is outside that is attached to the hose. The units that chime inside plug into an outlet. You can buy up to 4 receivers to place in different buildings. I have 1 in our innkeeper house and one in the inns kitchen.
We first had tried a driveway monitor that was an electric eye (motion detector)and had nothing but trouble. The slightest breeze, bees or a number of other things would set off a false alarm. It was worse than having nothing.

Breakfast Diva said:
The one we have is a Dakota Alert. There is a 9 volt battery in the unit that is outside that is attached to the hose. The units that chime inside plug into an outlet. You can buy up to 4 receivers to place in different buildings. I have 1 in our innkeeper house and one in the inns kitchen.
We first had tried a driveway monitor that was an electric eye (motion detector)and had nothing but trouble. The slightest breeze, bees or a number of other things would set off a false alarm. It was worse than having nothing.
Breakfast Diva said:
We first had tried a driveway monitor that was an electric eye (motion detector)and had nothing but trouble.
When I did a search online, most of the ones I found were that motion detector kind, which is why I wondered what brand you used. Our parking lot is next to an alley with some small amount of traffic and we have a neighborhood family of cats. I think I would prefer the hose type.

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
We first had tried a driveway monitor that was an electric eye (motion detector)and had nothing but trouble.
When I did a search online, most of the ones I found were that motion detector kind, which is why I wondered what brand you used. Our parking lot is next to an alley with some small amount of traffic and we have a neighborhood family of cats. I think I would prefer the hose type.
I think these products are both a good idea. My driveway has been snowplowed at least 15 times this winter, so I've ordered the driveway monitor first. I can imagine that the hose and the snow plow might not always get along very well.

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
We actually tried 2 different brands of the motion detectors. We had major trouble with both. We don't get snow here, but I would imagine the hose would get ripped out if it was scraped. We've had to replace the hose once after a few years.
When I was trying to get a replacement hose, Lowe's looked on their computer for it and found that they could order a different brand of hose driveway monitor, so that might also be another resource for you.

Back