How Do You Plan to Deal With the Possible Swine Flu Pandemic?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
Just curious since I've never had to deal with something like this before.

As was discussed at the Historical Association lunch today by a missionary just back from Mexico - 1000 cases in a city with a population of 20 million is not significant. However, she said, the Mexican government is closing all the high densitity things such as schools, museums, etc as a precautionary measure.
I feel the Media is always looking for something to create panic, gloom, and doom. In the US there have not even been 100 cases as yet (to my knowledge) across the whol country. Epidemic? I will not get my shorts in a knot until there is a reason to - a REAL reason.

As was discussed at the Historical Association lunch today by a missionary just back from Mexico - 1000 cases in a city with a population of 20 million is not significant. However, she said, the Mexican government is closing all the high densitity things such as schools, museums, etc as a precautionary measure.
I feel the Media is always looking for something to create panic, gloom, and doom. In the US there have not even been 100 cases as yet (to my knowledge) across the whol country. Epidemic? I will not get my shorts in a knot until there is a reason to - a REAL reason..
Sorry but there is no shot to be had..at least at this point:-(
All we can do is hope and pray for now. I too am afraid the media is hyping this all out of proportion.
There is nothing to be done except...wash your hands...ALOT!
We can't just "hole up" in our homes....or can we??? You know those folks with a years supply of food and water stocked away in their homes...may have the right idea. Though I cannot imagine doing that.:-(

When someone checks out and I know they've been sick, we sanitize the room. We also have an expensive air machine that sanitizes, so we put the machine in the infected room between guests. I wash my hands ALOT.

How can they be calling this a Pandemic already. Influenza in 1918 was pandemic but it bacame that due to WWI and the many people crammed together and traveling between countries.
Yes, with today's travel, a pandemic is easier to happen - perhaps - but the medical knowledge and means available lessen the possibilities. Wait a week or so and they will find something else to scare the bejesus out of us with!

How can they be calling this a Pandemic already. Influenza in 1918 was pandemic but it bacame that due to WWI and the many people crammed together and traveling between countries.
Yes, with today's travel, a pandemic is easier to happen - perhaps - but the medical knowledge and means available lessen the possibilities. Wait a week or so and they will find something else to scare the bejesus out of us with!.
I have the book on the 1918 pandemic...it is scary reading. Yes times have changed, but with our travel today, just look at how fast this is spreading. And..to top it all..the news media spreads it even faster. Very scary.
No more "handshake of peace" at Sunday Mass. I freak out over it during the winter as it is...and use anti bacterial cleaner at church. And, I am not the only one. Our priest gave me and half of our parish......one heck of a cold this winter!!!!! I wanted to just scream at him that he should not be distributing communion as he coughed all over us. Here are some facts.

Yes, with today's travel, a pandemic is easier to happen - perhaps - but the medical knowledge and means available lessen the possibilities. Wait a week or so and they will find something else to scare the bejesus out of us with!.
I have the book on the 1918 pandemic...it is scary reading. Yes times have changed, but with our travel today, just look at how fast this is spreading. And..to top it all..the news media spreads it even faster. Very scary.
No more "handshake of peace" at Sunday Mass. I freak out over it during the winter as it is...and use anti bacterial cleaner at church. And, I am not the only one. Our priest gave me and half of our parish......one heck of a cold this winter!!!!! I wanted to just scream at him that he should not be distributing communion as he coughed all over us. Here are some facts.
OK, people are getting all uptight about this. Do you know how many cases have been reported in the US? My newspaper today said 11, that is eleven!!! Pandemic??? No shot for it yet. OK. How many have died in the US of those that were diagnosed? As of last I heard - none.
We have better hygiene, better water systems, better sewerage sytems, more wonderful government regulations of what our poor cities MUST do to protect the health of the Public (and I say poor because most of these wonderful regs are unfunded and they demand something else be tested for every couple of years - unfunded) than most of Mexico from what I have read about Mexico.
I know how my city struggles to pay for the requirements for the water we put into the river from our sewer treatment plant - while above and below us RAW DATA is going in but the GOVERNMENT is not spending the money to lay the sewer lines so these places can be hooked into a system. They prefer to require us to spend more to eliminate .005 micro whatevers of something and threaten with a fine if not done. So in the face of 11 cases - I am not going gonzo over the swine flu. Remember the swine flu of about 10 years ago? The bird flu that was going to get us about 5 years ago?

Simple solution... wash your hands.
Perfectly safe to shake hands with people.... just don't touch your eyes, nose or mouth until you've washed your hands.
=)
Kk.

colds, epidemics, heebie jeebies, cooties (& whatever else aside). Many times my guests want to shake hands when greeting. I always wash my hands after. I'm a little OCD when it comes to hand washing & such anyway, but...

well just this: it's a good reminder for all of us to be careful
keep washing your hands ... because you just don't know who does NOT wash their hands, or who forgot to wash, or who didn't have time 'just this once' ...
i was at logan airport recently (boston) and went into the restroom. long line. women going in the stalls and coming out, and going right out the door ... many NOT stopping to wash their hands. so off they went on their day, progressing through a crowded airport, coming into contact with other folks who had been to other places. watched one lady go right from the restroom stall, cross the airport aisle and into the food court, handling wrapped food trying to decide what she wanted, then paying for her purchase. then stopping to get coffee, self serve cream and sugar and stirrers. i don't know how long bacteria lives, but just multiply this kind of behavior. handling money, etc. the mind boggles!
i used to force 'my girls' (chambermaids) to wear gloves. the disposable surgical gloves we've discussed (not the latex), i bought boxes of all sizes and insisted they use them and toss them. because often they did not want to wear the bulky cleaning gloves.

keep washing your hands ... because you just don't know who does NOT wash their hands, or who forgot to wash, or who didn't have time 'just this once' ...
i was at logan airport recently (boston) and went into the restroom. long line. women going in the stalls and coming out, and going right out the door ... many NOT stopping to wash their hands. so off they went on their day, progressing through a crowded airport, coming into contact with other folks who had been to other places. watched one lady go right from the restroom stall, cross the airport aisle and into the food court, handling wrapped food trying to decide what she wanted, then paying for her purchase. then stopping to get coffee, self serve cream and sugar and stirrers. i don't know how long bacteria lives, but just multiply this kind of behavior. handling money, etc. the mind boggles!
i used to force 'my girls' (chambermaids) to wear gloves. the disposable surgical gloves we've discussed (not the latex), i bought boxes of all sizes and insisted they use them and toss them. because often they did not want to wear the bulky cleaning gloves..
Disgusting isn't it! I just want to scream at these people who routinely do not wash. How can they stand it? My skin would crawl and the screaming in my head of my Mother's voice would not let me take 2 steps in any direction other than toward the sink.

i used to force 'my girls' (chambermaids) to wear gloves. the disposable surgical gloves we've discussed (not the latex), i bought boxes of all sizes and insisted they use them and toss them. because often they did not want to wear the bulky cleaning gloves..
I really hate to bring this up but I have to. I was out for a walk yesterday and I watched a guy (it was like a car wreck, I couldn't look away) pick his nose all the way up the street. Picking and looking and picking some more. Then he reached out and grabbed the door handle to go into the coffee shop.
Buddy, wait a minute and get a tissue in the coffee shop. For crying out loud, you were nauseating at least 3 people who had to walk near you.

Bree I had the same experience. I used to work in Sequoia National Park at the lodge and I couldn't believe my eyes. We had a lot of summer workers come from Poland and they are major nose pickers. They would have their uniforms on and be picking their nose in the lobby of the lodge. I had never seen anything like that before. I think it could be a cultural thing?

Bree I had the same experience. I used to work in Sequoia National Park at the lodge and I couldn't believe my eyes. We had a lot of summer workers come from Poland and they are major nose pickers. They would have their uniforms on and be picking their nose in the lobby of the lodge. I had never seen anything like that before. I think it could be a cultural thing?.
oceans said:
Bree I had the same experience. I used to work in Sequoia National Park at the lodge and I couldn't believe my eyes. We had a lot of summer workers come from Poland and they are major nose pickers. They would have their uniforms on and be picking their nose in the lobby of the lodge. I had never seen anything like that before. I think it could be a cultural thing?
You guys are really freaking me out.
I worked for some Russians who did the same thing. Must be cultural. Also an eastern European where the bathing thing was another issue - I won't go there...you will all be sick if I do.

Back