How do you present yourself?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
When that magical check in hour arrives, what do you wear to the door?
Ladies are you in fresh clothes, styled hair and full makeup?
Gents are you in business casual attire or jeans and sneakers?
What do you suppose the arriving guest expects to see?

I am wearing nice slacks. a logo shirt, and a logo apron. I am almost always a walking billboard (right size too) with my apron. My hair is clean and combed. I do not usually wear make-up so no make-up on this puss. I have no control over DH so he is usually either in a BSA Owners T-shirt or sometimes a logo shirt. And I usually greet them on the porch, welcoming them to our home.

We never dressed up. Nice clothes--but either jeans or slacks with a shirt or sweater depending on the time of year. ALWAYS make up for me:)

Jeans and T-shirts for both of us in summer...jeans and sweater over a turtleneck in the winter...and my tenny runners. I never wear makeup, and hair is super short so no need to style.
If they've been on our website, they know we are into casual comfort here, and if they looked at our photos....jeans and t-shirts! Always a smile, a greeting by name and a handshake....a joke or two if they seem the type.

We have a uniform of sorts. I usually wear a monogrammed (with our logo) polo shirt with khakis pants. DW hides during the arrival. DW's uniform is a bit more feminized.
What do guests expect? I think they expect laid back and casual....that's what they get.

We are pretty casual here - t-shirts or a sleeved cotton shirt, jeans and sneakers. the t-shirts are nice cotton ones - no graphics or slogans, but cotton and breathable. I rarely get out of my sneakers after breaking an ankle some years back - i have had bad ankles all my life. No makeup here either. I usually shower just before check-in, so my hair is clean. Styled would be too strong a word for it.
regular_smile.gif

I try to freshen up before guests get here. If I'm the housekeeper by myself, that might be a day where I barely have time to dash in & freshen up...change my top but still have jeans on, brush my hair again, and put some lip gloss on. We have a mixture of types of guests. Being an urban inn (although our city isn't huge), we probably aren't as casual as some innkeepers, especially when we have business guests. Sometimes they've been fairly prominent, so for them I will dress in what I used wear in my corporate jobs. Sweater sets are popular here, so I'll add that to slacks in the Fall. Or a nice top with a light jacket or cotton shirt in warmer months. I dress that way for breakast service as well. If the group is more casual, I wear jeans but the same type of tops. I definitely wear makeup. No tennis shoes here...I love shoes!
My dh wears biz casual as well - polo shirts and khakis. On the weekend, he might wear jeans and one of our inn tee-shirts when he's serving breakfast.

You must think I fell off the back of a pumpkin truck.
I am laughing at business casual, not turning my eyes up wondering what it is. But thanks for the insult PT.
I was going to say Levi's are my business casual. :) No one to enforce the no-jeans policy here but me.

I am laughing at business casual, not turning my eyes up wondering what it is. But thanks for the insult PT.
I was going to say Levi's are my business casual. :) No one to enforce the no-jeans policy here but me..
Yeah, it is kind of an oxymoron term but I was glad when we stopped having to wear skirts with pantyhose. haha! I had an employee that thought business casual meant very short "skorts" like what you might wear to play tennis. Huh??

I was going to say Levi's are my business casual. :) No one to enforce the no-jeans policy here but me..
Joe Bloggs said:
I was going to say Levi's are my business casual. :) No one to enforce the no-jeans policy here but me.
You're welcome? If you're implying that it's an oxymoron, O.K. fine but I still don't get the humor.

This is an interesting thing that my dh's company does here - they have a week where you can actually "earn" the privilege of wearing jeans to work every day by donating to a charity, bringing Toys for Tots....things like that. Of course, the folks that interface with clients or honchos, never wear jeans.
Yep, if I don't get changed from my jeans, noboby here to chastise me but myself. haha! Oh, well....some days just get away from me with all the running around. As long as I don't look disheveled on some of those days, I'm happy. :)

We are pretty casual here...jeans even shorts sometimes. Having comon sense:)

This is an interesting thing that my dh's company does here - they have a week where you can actually "earn" the privilege of wearing jeans to work every day by donating to a charity, bringing Toys for Tots....things like that. Of course, the folks that interface with clients or honchos, never wear jeans.
Yep, if I don't get changed from my jeans, noboby here to chastise me but myself. haha! Oh, well....some days just get away from me with all the running around. As long as I don't look disheveled on some of those days, I'm happy. :)
Samster said:
As long as I don't look disheveled on some of those days, I'm happy. :)
Me, too. The two rooms that showed up early today, plus the lookie-loo who rang the doorbell before check-in, got the sweaty, disheveled and flour on the t-shirt look. Sometimes I throw an apron on to cover up the spots.

Samster said:
As long as I don't look disheveled on some of those days, I'm happy. :)
Me, too. The two rooms that showed up early today, plus the lookie-loo who rang the doorbell before check-in, got the sweaty, disheveled and flour on the t-shirt look. Sometimes I throw an apron on to cover up the spots.
I need a BIGGER apron to cover some of the messes!!
teeth_smile.gif
It's not pretty when I work in the yard.....

Sadly, I am the only one here and people come to check in at the oddest hours. Lately they have shown up as early as 10 am. Which means, that I am in the midst of cleaning, sweaty, dirty,
embaressed_smile.gif
and then I have to put on this enormous smile hoping to make them miss the way I look.
When I do have time to get myself together, I put on light make up, jeans and polo shirt, blouse or sweater set, depending on the weather and my cute little red shoes for which I am famous, heh!

Back