How do YOU search for B&Bs?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbread Latte

Reaction score
I'm taking a road trip to visit family, decided to break up the return with a one night stay at B&B (research purposes!) I've googled B&B, but since I don't know the various towns along the highway, I've just done a broad search. I know several members here don't care for the big dot com so I've tried to find Inns on my own. I've learned a lot about what I want (and don't) on my own website. I've found a few that don't even have websites, just listings in the phone book.
So far I've emailed 2, they didn't have online booking and I haven't heard back from either. They may not even be open. Since I'm going that way, I thought I'd just take a look, if they're open, I'll stop and book for the trip back.
All that to say, naturally bedandbreakfast dot com always showed up. Can you list with them as a directory without using their online booking?

Gingerbread Latte said:
Can you list with them as a directory without using their online booking?
Yes.
Here's a caveat to using them for your own vacation- be very careful and check the address for the B&B. They sell 'area' listings and the B&B may actually be an hour away from the town you think you're booking in.
So, how do I search? Generally I get an area narrowed down, get a Google map up and then start picking out towns and searching by 'town, state, B&B'. If I find that not a lot shows up or the websites are horrible, I'll use the directories.
If the website is too hard to use, doesn't have online booking or whatever, I pick up the phone and call. I do not email. Innkeepers do not answer email. Sad to say.

I Google bed and breakfast and towns on the route just by looking at a map and finding the best route, and then try to see where I can stop within the approximate miles I can make in a day. I also use TA to check reviews.
I do NOT book anywhere that doesn't have online bookings, unless there's a problem with the booking engine that necessitates a call to the inn. Sorry, I just don't want to deal with it. I also don't book anywhere that doesn't have a decent website with good room photos and good information. I don't want any surprises if I can help it! No email...many innkeepers are not timely in their email responses.
I've found that it works better in the last couple of years just to do a search because there are many B&Bs/inns that are pulling their directory listings, so I wouldn't have found them if I went just that route.

Thanks for the heads-up on emailing. I spent over an hour today tracking towns along my route, then trying to find B&Bs in them. It would have been so nice to just google the route and the Inns within 20 miles would show up. Maybe that will be possible in the future.
Now that I know many are uphappy with the Big directory, I know better than to assume they are comprehensive.

Thanks for the heads-up on emailing. I spent over an hour today tracking towns along my route, then trying to find B&Bs in them. It would have been so nice to just google the route and the Inns within 20 miles would show up. Maybe that will be possible in the future.
Now that I know many are uphappy with the Big directory, I know better than to assume they are comprehensive..
Try a combo of 3-4 of them- bbonline, bnbfinder, iloveinns and the state's own directory.

In the end I go to Trip advisor and use their map feature. You are singing to the choir, it is very frustrating. Even if you DO find a few B&B's along the route you choose -many without prices or online bookings to even SEE if they have availability. Many you can only call or email - they do not call or emailback - very UNPROFESSIONAL.
Now you will realize why I say ad nauseum online reservations are a guest amenity.
Remember many inns are not listed on a given bed and breakfast directory. Many fine inns.

Certain directories use "as a crow flies" so for us they listed a B&B near us which is 50 minutes drive THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS. No where near us, whatsoever. The inn did not list in our area, B&B.com put them there to show more inns.
I say all the time "Plan a trip" and find out if your website is where it should be, if is has the features a guest needs instead sending them through the roof!"

Ugh! An innkeeper that does not return phone calls, e-mails AND has a crappy website...sorry, but I wouldn't want to stay there, either. I've used Mapquest before. You can search for B&B's near an address.

Google Maps...put in starting and ending points, and use the awesome "Search Nearby" feature for b&b's. Works from a smartphone so good for on the road as well.
No website or bad website...not staying there. I pick up the phone for NOTHING (except Google Maps...haha!).

Look at the website of the Association for that State. They are usually by region (sometimes even searchable by region) and will often have a map of that section of the State with cities marked. That is where I usually start.

Google maps, get directions, type in your begining and ending points, then add bed and breakfast in the search area.... all the B&B's will be listed on the left, dots of locations on the map. You can then choose the area you are looking to stop and start there.
No or poor website - no reservation for me. I prefer online booking but if not I will call, not email. If they do not answer or do not respond by day's end I will move on. If they are not in modern day with online booking and do not keep their lifeline phone handy, they are not a business, they are a hobby. Move on!

Yes we are listed with them (bedandbreakfast.com) without the booking button. They are so expensive (and I am thinking there days not worth it) and on top of that they take 30% if you use their book it button. No way. I get more leads from my wine tours and association and city and state websites (free!)
Riki

Happy to say one of them did return my email and I am at that B&B this very moment. It's wonderful, the Innkeepers are great and I am thoroughly enjoying my 'research.'
They had just bought this place and it only took her a day to return my email. (I am so connected that it seemed like an eternity.) I would have booked elsewhere because of the delay, but we're in the middle of nowhere and I didn't have many options.
That will NOT work for me, as I have plenty of competition and will need to respond to emails or calls within minutes.
The other Inn still hasn't responded. They shouldn't have put an address on the site if they weren't going to use it.
So, I'll finish my 'research' here, along with the bread pudding and iced latte. Hubs is laid up on the comfy leather couch, watching the flat screen and eating fresh powdered wedding cookies..... his job is to research the comfort of the room
shades_smile.gif

Happy to say one of them did return my email and I am at that B&B this very moment. It's wonderful, the Innkeepers are great and I am thoroughly enjoying my 'research.'
They had just bought this place and it only took her a day to return my email. (I am so connected that it seemed like an eternity.) I would have booked elsewhere because of the delay, but we're in the middle of nowhere and I didn't have many options.
That will NOT work for me, as I have plenty of competition and will need to respond to emails or calls within minutes.
The other Inn still hasn't responded. They shouldn't have put an address on the site if they weren't going to use it.
So, I'll finish my 'research' here, along with the bread pudding and iced latte. Hubs is laid up on the comfy leather couch, watching the flat screen and eating fresh powdered wedding cookies..... his job is to research the comfort of the room
shades_smile.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
Hubs is laid up on the comfy leather couch, watching the flat screen and eating fresh powdered wedding cookies..... his job is to research the comfort of the room
shades_smile.gif
Everyone has a job to do in the research department ;)
When it's our turn, my hubby will be checking out the mechanical rooms/basements. That's his idea of a good time!

shades_smile.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
Hubs is laid up on the comfy leather couch, watching the flat screen and eating fresh powdered wedding cookies..... his job is to research the comfort of the room
shades_smile.gif
When it's our turn, my hubby will be checking out the mechanical rooms/basements. That's his idea of a good time!
For some reason, all men here seem to be drawn to the unfinished third floor "attic", love to look at the framing!

shades_smile.gif
Gingerbread Latte said:
shades_smile.gif
For some reason, all men here seem to be drawn to the unfinished third floor "attic", love to look at the framing!
I did find him in the closet looking at the electrical system.....

men anything to do with tools where they can stand about saying things like "oh did you think about ...."

Back