How do you serve hot cereal?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
Small group (3) here for a Road Scholar 5 night stay. One of the three: Egg whites only, no pork, no sausage of any kind. Prefers not much bread. Hot cereal OK.
I try to keep the breakfasts looking at least similar for all. This group (plus guide comes for breakfast also) got hot cereal this morning, unusual for me to do that unless requested. I was trying for continuity for all, without seeming to single out the 'different' person with a too different breakfast.
First course (as always) mixed seasonal fruit salad), then I served cooked seven grain cereal in soup plates, with a selections of brown sugar, cut peaches, blueberries and walnuts on the side. Small pitchers of hot milk, both whole and 2% to add to the cereal. Underplates garnished with a small bunch of grapes. All except one cleaned it all up, one left a bit. Feel kind of bad, because they have a lot of physical activity in store for today.
Yesterday they all got mushroom and cheese omelets, with side cottage potatoes, bacon and toast. My 'different' guest got the egg white scramble, no bacon, otherwise the rest the same. Everyone happy and the other two raved later about their breakfasts. I don't think I'll hear any raves today.
Anyway.....the question is: How do you all serve hot cereal? At this point, I don't think I'll have it in the regular rotation, except for the the folks who request it.

similar to you, when we do serve oatmeal, we put out several choices for toppings. Usually, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and sugar, butterscotch chips, bananas, strawberries and milk. Maybe coconut, bluberries, apples nuts.
Your choice sounds lovely.
I imagine the less picky of the bunch would have preferred more. Perhaps egg white omlette for all and omit the toast and sausage for the picky one.

I wouldn't deprive my other guests the regular breakfast. Many people need protein to start the day and need/want the eggs & breakfast meats. I do a baked oatmeal in a 16 oz ramekin (baking dish) that normally 2 people would share as part of a bigger breakfast, but if I had a guest that didn't/couldn't eat eggs, and meats, I would serve that person the oatmeal.
Don't worry about the food restrictive guest's breakfast looking different.

Baked oatmeal. On a plate, with everyone except your no pork person getting sausage. They are a group. They know this person doesn't eat whatever. Don't make everyone suffer!
It sounded lovely anyway. I would have liked it.
We don't have time to play games with people who don't eat whatever. We plan ahead what that one person will be offered as a sub for what everyone else can eat.
If anyone else asks for the same, we let them know this was requested in advance due to dietary restrictions.

similar to you, when we do serve oatmeal, we put out several choices for toppings. Usually, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and sugar, butterscotch chips, bananas, strawberries and milk. Maybe coconut, bluberries, apples nuts.
Your choice sounds lovely.
I imagine the less picky of the bunch would have preferred more. Perhaps egg white omlette for all and omit the toast and sausage for the picky one..
And then I can make lemon curd with the yolks.
regular_smile.gif
Oh, I forgot about baked oatmeal. I think there's a recipe here on the site. I've been meaning to try it. Thx!

That baked oatmeal recipe was requested last week in an e-mail from guests who had it a couple weeks earlier. It has been requested to be the breakfast by several returning guests also.
As for serving hot cereal: I use the Crock Pot Cereal recipe i posted here and serve it family-style with a ladle in the crock pot. There is a bowl of white sugar, one of brown sugar, a pot of honey, and a pitcher of milk on the table for toppings. This sucker is FULL of fruit so none extra is needed. Last time I made it I did not have dried apricots in-house so I used raisins, cra-sins, peaches, apples, blueberries, and chopped prunes I think. Whatever fruits you have are good. (Have also used blueberry juice and cranberry juice times I did not have apple juice in the cupboard.)

I saw "innkeeping story" on the left sidebar of this blog at a "treehouse" B&B that serves what they called heart healthy breakfasts, no meat and no eggs. I bet they have to serve up quite the concoction of a hot cereal/continental to make up for that.

That baked oatmeal recipe was requested last week in an e-mail from guests who had it a couple weeks earlier. It has been requested to be the breakfast by several returning guests also.
As for serving hot cereal: I use the Crock Pot Cereal recipe i posted here and serve it family-style with a ladle in the crock pot. There is a bowl of white sugar, one of brown sugar, a pot of honey, and a pitcher of milk on the table for toppings. This sucker is FULL of fruit so none extra is needed. Last time I made it I did not have dried apricots in-house so I used raisins, cra-sins, peaches, apples, blueberries, and chopped prunes I think. Whatever fruits you have are good. (Have also used blueberry juice and cranberry juice times I did not have apple juice in the cupboard.).
I've used that crock-pot cereal recipe for us, like it, but probably need to use a timer for my crock-pot. Overnight seems a bit too long. Now I need to test the baked oatmeal. Spinach and extra sharp cheddar quiche tomorrow, (with one scrambled egg white)
regular_smile.gif

As for serving hot cereal: I use the Crock Pot Cereal recipe i posted here and serve it family-style with a ladle in the crock pot. There is a bowl of white sugar, one of brown sugar, a pot of honey, and a pitcher of milk on the table for toppings. This sucker is FULL of fruit so none extra is needed. Last time I made it I did not have dried apricots in-house so I used raisins, cra-sins, peaches, apples, blueberries, and chopped prunes I think. Whatever fruits you have are good. (Have also used blueberry juice and cranberry juice times I did not have apple juice in the cupboard.).
I've used that crock-pot cereal recipe for us, like it, but probably need to use a timer for my crock-pot. Overnight seems a bit too long. Now I need to test the baked oatmeal. Spinach and extra sharp cheddar quiche tomorrow, (with one scrambled egg white)
regular_smile.gif

I have a spinach bake that has a bit of onion and swiss cheese with eggs and milk in the blender, spray pan, pour, bake. Yummy.
Actually overnight on low works great - of course I go to bed between 11 and Midnight so I have short nights. (DH is a night owl and I do not sleep well with the light on and he wakes me up when he comes to bed so I may as well stay up.)

I did a couple of baked oatmeal type things for folks with gluten problems.
You can do some egg bakes in individual ramekins which would look the same for all the guests. Serve with salsa or sour cream. Put some kind of veggie in it - zucchini, spinach, or green onions.
Also, fritattas are easy - make a large one for all the other guests. Small one for your special needs guest.

Usually guests sit at different tables, so they wouldn't see one set of breakfast might differ from another (coming Fri, Sat, one gluten free, one vegan, separate parties), but Road Scholar are groups, so they sit together. I am mindful of comments here about one guest seeing the different breakfast then saying "I'll have that", many local items are seasonal and farmer's market is only one day a week, grocery store shopping is miles away, so some items will be only purchased by advanced request, others as you know, need much advance prep, so late changes are sometimes not possible. (Although I did add one full breakfast with fruit salad starter included at a moment's notice on Monday. Didn't know the guide would be joining us, and they're on a timetable because of tides. Went into overdrive. Got 'er done.
regular_smile.gif
)

Back