How do you serve...?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
Just got back from a road trip of our own. A combination of family get together and an innkeeper's busman's holiday. (an impossible time to get away, but we did it anyway!)
We stayed in different places around our state and one in B.C. Lots of variations in what is provided, and how things are presented.
A couple of questions...for your breakfasts, how do you serve jam? We serve in a small 1 1/2 inch ramekin for two to share. (a couple at a table for two) Most places we've been serve those individually wrapped food service portions. I dislike that personally, and we often serve home made jam, but DH says guests will appreciate the sanitary aspect of the packets. I used to serve butter in the ramekins, but have moved to the individually wrapped. It doesn't seem to make any difference in the amount of butter used, so I'm guessing that people don't really have a preference about this.
For those of you who serve dinners, do you dress the salad, or serve the dressing on the side. I sooo like a dressed salad, so I serve them that way. I've never had any but a clean plate come back, but DH suggests that people like choice and many think served on the side means fewer calories. The only feedback I've had is from the people who ask for the recipe for the dressing.

Jelly/apple butter is served either in individual domed dishes (butter served this way also) or in a glass custard cup with a jelly spoon in it
Salad is served nekkid with an array of fat-free salad dressings on the table for them to choose their favorite. That is the one thing I do not even attempt to do "classy" as there are so many different preferences (and DH cannot have oil so although salad is usually one of the only things he can eat at a local DINNER (organization or fundraiser) if it is dresserd he is REALLY SOL!

For the jam/jelly I have those little butter dishes with the lids. I scoop out the jelly they want (we have 4 kinds) and serve it in the dish. It's covered and we toss whatever is left. The PO's had it in a big ramekin they refilled. Ick. Each person gets their own unless everyone at the table wants the same kind. (If they are not all together, I will give each couple their own dish.)
The butter we used to do using a mold so we served individual pats in seasonal shapes on a plate. We ended up with a lot of waste so we went to the pre-wrapped pats.
If you only have the single kind of dressing, I would pre-dress the salad and bring a little cruet to the table for those who want more.

We have very small jars and it's served family style, next to a larger jar of demi-tasse spoons, so that each person can use a new clean spoon for their jam. Being small, they are easy to finish, wash and replace and very little gets wasted. A teaspoon seems too much, the demi-tasse spoons seem to be just the right size.
We have no jelly, ever! Jam, nutella, dulce de leche, marmalade, apple butter... but never jelly. Currently we have Rhubarb, Cocoa Raspberry, Raspberry, Nutella and Orange Marmalade. Orange Marmalade is always on the table... couldn't call myself Canadian without it. Heck, I even have it on peanut butter and marmalade sandwiches.

I like a dressed salad as well, but the way I DRESS IT. Many restaurants are heavy handed and the lettuce is sogged out, so I would rather order it on the side.
Jam I only serve for biscuits, and in a small custard cup with jelly spoons, and then toss whatever is not eaten. I don't like, personally, to sit down and have to unwrap all these tiny little things. I think you might save money with less waste, but we aren't a diner. Nothing is served in plastic.
Funny Story:
Dad is a retired Ironworker. While booming out of town on a big job, they would go to a diner for breakfast at 4am before work, the whole crew.
Picture all these rough and rowdy ironworkers sitting along the counter and in the boothsin their levi's and work boots, tattoos, beards, with these big square fingers trying to open all these little tiny butters (with not even enough for half a slice of toast). They would leave and go to work and there would be piles and piles of these little butter wrappers/containers all over the tables.
Day three Dad finally stood up and said "We just can't take it anymore! If you can't provide us with a tub of margarine for our toast we will have to go somewhere else!" All the other dudes stood up cheered, hollered and applauded.
Dad retells that story often, any time we encouter the small indiv butters.
confused_smile.gif

Skamokawa said:
The only feedback I've had is from the people who ask for the recipe for the dressing.
So...you can't just leave it there. What's the recipe?

We serve jam and flavored butters the way you do, to be shared by couples. We did the bit with butter molds when we started out and had individual serving containers for condiments. It was very labor intensive and very wasteful. DW has designed most of her breakfast to where very few condiments are required. Ketchup and hot sauce are provided when requested.
The only thing we do individually is hot buttered syrup for pancakes or french toast. We use small creamers for that and found some antique butter pat dishes to set them on. Works great.

For the jam/jelly I have those little butter dishes with the lids. I scoop out the jelly they want (we have 4 kinds) and serve it in the dish. It's covered and we toss whatever is left. The PO's had it in a big ramekin they refilled. Ick. Each person gets their own unless everyone at the table wants the same kind. (If they are not all together, I will give each couple their own dish.)
The butter we used to do using a mold so we served individual pats in seasonal shapes on a plate. We ended up with a lot of waste so we went to the pre-wrapped pats.
If you only have the single kind of dressing, I would pre-dress the salad and bring a little cruet to the table for those who want more..
We tried the mold for butter then started using only cinnamon honey butter or Orange butter served in tiny bowls with Demi-tasse spoons. Everyone loves the cinn/honey butter. I only serve one kind of jam at a time in the same tiny bowl and using the small spoons. But we only have two or four for breakfast.

In some locations it is a health dept rule that individually packaged jams, butters etc be used. I preferred to set out small containers for our guests. As far as salad, if you aren't getting complaints about the salad already being dressed, then I wouldn't change a thing.

Jelly/apple butter is served either in individual domed dishes (butter served this way also) or in a glass custard cup with a jelly spoon in it
Salad is served nekkid with an array of fat-free salad dressings on the table for them to choose their favorite. That is the one thing I do not even attempt to do "classy" as there are so many different preferences (and DH cannot have oil so although salad is usually one of the only things he can eat at a local DINNER (organization or fundraiser) if it is dresserd he is REALLY SOL!.
I don't like the individual packages for butter and jellies. Although more sanitary, they just don't seem right for us. I could see it at a bigger place. We have been provided them at inns but the smaller b&bs always serve like we do it seems. I'm basing that on our own experiences.

We used a variety of individual little decorative dishes for jams and preserves. We never served toast except on request, so that would have been for Southern biscuits. We offered a variety of jams and then each person got their own dish - no sharing. My favorite dishes are these white butterflies where I can put either 2 kinds of jam or jam on one side and butter pats on the other. They were my Mom's.
I've found that most people are heavy handed with dressing also. So, I'd prefer to put my own dressing on a salad. I like to taste the greens and other salad ingredients, not the dressing.
regular_smile.gif

If you only have the single kind of dressing, I would pre-dress the salad and bring a little cruet to the table for those who want more..
We tried the mold for butter then started using only cinnamon honey butter or Orange butter served in tiny bowls with Demi-tasse spoons. Everyone loves the cinn/honey butter. I only serve one kind of jam at a time in the same tiny bowl and using the small spoons. But we only have two or four for breakfast.
I use the demitasse spoons and smaller serving dishes for catsup and mustard. I refuse to bring the squeeze bottle to the table.

Salad is served nekkid with an array of fat-free salad dressings on the table for them to choose their favorite. That is the one thing I do not even attempt to do "classy" as there are so many different preferences (and DH cannot have oil so although salad is usually one of the only things he can eat at a local DINNER (organization or fundraiser) if it is dresserd he is REALLY SOL!.
I don't like the individual packages for butter and jellies. Although more sanitary, they just don't seem right for us. I could see it at a bigger place. We have been provided them at inns but the smaller b&bs always serve like we do it seems. I'm basing that on our own experiences.
Mtatoc said:
I don't either. That is why I use the domed glass dishes. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-and-entertaining/specialty-serveware/individual-butter-dish/f13893

Mtatoc said:
I don't either. That is why I use the domed glass dishes. http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-and-entertaining/specialty-serveware/individual-butter-dish/f13893
Same here. I put the jams in those.

In some locations it is a health dept rule that individually packaged jams, butters etc be used. I preferred to set out small containers for our guests. As far as salad, if you aren't getting complaints about the salad already being dressed, then I wouldn't change a thing..
catlady said:
In some locations it is a health dept rule that individually packaged jams, butters etc be used. I preferred to set out small containers for our guests. As far as salad, if you aren't getting complaints about the salad already being dressed, then I wouldn't change a thing.
For a B&B our government rules actually dock points if you use individually packaged commercial items with the names showing. So butter in a commercial packet makes me lose rating points. Yogurt cups from the supermarket lower my score, put them into individual cups to serve... points go up.

We have very small jars and it's served family style, next to a larger jar of demi-tasse spoons, so that each person can use a new clean spoon for their jam. Being small, they are easy to finish, wash and replace and very little gets wasted. A teaspoon seems too much, the demi-tasse spoons seem to be just the right size.
We have no jelly, ever! Jam, nutella, dulce de leche, marmalade, apple butter... but never jelly. Currently we have Rhubarb, Cocoa Raspberry, Raspberry, Nutella and Orange Marmalade. Orange Marmalade is always on the table... couldn't call myself Canadian without it. Heck, I even have it on peanut butter and marmalade sandwiches..
I should mention that the jars are small enough to keep people from using their own teaspoons... only the demi-tasse spoons fit :)

I wish we had a "like" button such as on Facebook.....so I could just comment I agree on something by using that instead of making a full comment. Lazy! Or what!?!

Mtatoc said:
gillumhouse said:
Mtatoc said:
You had compliments on your gorgeous table from our shared guests, if I forgot to tell you. :) Or if your ears were burning.

May I invite you to blog these preferences/differences? (Oh here she goes again with that dang blogging)
Well I went upstairs with a little card for a room and had this thread in my mind, as I had been up stairs a dozen times already today, and thought, ya know what, this is why we are NOT STINKY HOTELS! We are B&B's!
A call last night, the great guests today, a wedding night tonight, you all, and it all culminated into a blog for me. (I won't link, see my blog if you are interested.)
as I say
"EXPERIENCE THE DIFFERENCE AT THIS B&B!"
There is a difference.
You know, our guests know it, let a few more know it! Go ahead, I dare you to! Innteractive Inns blog is there if you don't have your own blog to write.

May I invite you to blog these preferences/differences? (Oh here she goes again with that dang blogging)
Well I went upstairs with a little card for a room and had this thread in my mind, as I had been up stairs a dozen times already today, and thought, ya know what, this is why we are NOT STINKY HOTELS! We are B&B's!
A call last night, the great guests today, a wedding night tonight, you all, and it all culminated into a blog for me. (I won't link, see my blog if you are interested.)
as I say
"EXPERIENCE THE DIFFERENCE AT THIS B&B!"
There is a difference.
You know, our guests know it, let a few more know it! Go ahead, I dare you to! Innteractive Inns blog is there if you don't have your own blog to write..
I wish guests had let us know they were getting married. All they said was they were going to a wedding today. When they ended up bringing 5 extra people into the house I gave them heck. Who are all these people? Why didn't you think to tell us? They are asking for extra seating. For what??? For the 5 extra people in their room!
I saw her leave. He was getting dressed elsewhere. She was gorgeous. Had they only mentioned to us what the plan was I would not have groused at them. So, yes, I gave the bride heck. She and the groom just kept letting people in.
Unfortunately, that's where we're different from a hotel in the wrong way. In a hotel no one would know you had five extra people in your room getting you ready for your big day.
And yet, I am looking out for them even if they don't get it. We don't go for strangers wandering thru the house unaccosted. 'Show me your papers!'
Well, if you hear about us from them some day in the future when they stay at another B&B (IF they ever stay at another B&B) you can explain we were only looking out for their safety.

Back