How do you take calls and inquiries when you are away

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I divert my house phone to my mobile and the customer only pays as if they were in the UK and I pay $13.00 per quarter for the service which I think is excellent value. If you go away regularly ie 2 months every year then look for low cost international calls packages. For example my friend Damian pays $5 a month so that if he is in poland and anyone rings him it is only the same as when he is in the UK and vice versa (he is polish ) that is a good deal to. So it is worth looking at the packages that are avaliable when your contract comes up for renewal..
I have looked for longdistance packages but in Canada phone costs are more regulated I think no cheap long distance plans, but will keep researching
I love Skype! It ts free Internet to internet. My son set mr up with a camera & microphone.
gillumhouse said:
I love Skype! It ts free Internet to internet. My son set mr up with a camera & microphone.
We set my 87 y/o MIL up on Skype for our calls back and forth to France. She just loves it. We all do.

Skype is great but the person you are talking to has to have it on their computer, however, everyone has a telephone number or email
I ordered the magic jack today and bought it on a 30 day free trial, so will see how it works.
With Skype, you can have it on your computer, the other person does not have to have it. They can use a regular phone to call. It's just free (or damn cheap) if you BOTH have Skype.
I'm curious how the Magic Jack works out, so let us know when you've had a chance to test it.
That is good to know, I thought that both parties had to have it.
I have ordered a new laptop, so when it comes in I might download skype also

We use online reservations, but we also work with Rogers in Canada and our phone messages instantly are sent to our laptop as an email and when you open the email, it's just like talking to a person next to you. We were in Europe in March/April and it worked like a charm.
Harry

Hi Marianne,
This is a great question. You may want to edit your original post to remove the dates of your travel. They aren't really important for the discussion. Since you are not on here anonymously, you are inadvertantly advertising to the world when you will be away and giving your address too.
Safety first ;)

Back