How do you treat Sunday nights?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We have been treating Sunday night as a weeknight. Do any of you consider this part of the weekend?

We do. We started to because we couldn't make webervations do what we wanted - price either Friday & Saturday or Saturday and Sunday as two weekend nights for our two-night minimum stay. We have kept it that way for about four years. I'm sure it turns some people away - usually on a Sunday night I'm okay with that and I can always put in a discount if I want the business. Usually if someone takes a multi-night stay I'll take it down to the weeknight rate. But some Sundays - like today!
regular_smile.gif
- we get the day off and you probably couldn't pay me enough money to have a room here tonight. I've almost finished the second Sunday paper, on Sunday.
cheers.gif

Weeknight. Unless we're in season we're usually empty on Sunday anyway.

Weeknight! Edited to add unless it is a 3 day holiday weekend..
same here, copperhead, but I hasten to add I often forget to make the changes for 3-day weekends until I start seeing Sundays coming in.

Most Sunday nights are treated as tonight is - JAMMIES Time!!! Next week however, it will be a work night! I have two room rates no matter when - period! And DH still cannot remember what are the rates for the pvt bath and the shared bath. I am supposed to be the one with the Big A. GOD cannot be so cruel as to give THAT to DH too - I was looking forward to La-La land or roast & toast, not to taking care of him that way.
I have to operate on the KISS System here so my "answering service" can handle it.

We don't change rates from mid week to weekend but we do have minimums for Friday/Saturday nights, so I guess that technically means we treat Sunday as a weeknight. Our biggest trend change for this year was to have a TON of Saturday/Sunday night reservations...which I hate because then I get single Fridays and have to deal with all those flips, PLUS Saturday check-ins which are the WORST.

I never took guests on a Sunday night ...unless they were staying over. I was always too exhausted after cleaning up after the weekends and just collasped on the couch after I was done.

We have a very large flea-antique-market event nearby that attracts thousands of people to the area each month on the first weekend of the month. Hotels, motels and B&B are guaranteed to fill their rooms during that time...mostly Thursday through Saturday nights, but occasionally we get holdovers through Sunday.
You would think that would be the best time to have a two-night minimum and treat it almost like a 3-day weekend. Nope, they're mostly one-nighters. We occasionally get a three or four-nighter especially when they are antique dealers coming from out of state. We make lots of $$ but we hate the room flips.
I'd like to change the Sundays during this event to the weekend rate, but I'm concerned about a loss of reservations if I do. We do charge the weekend rate for three-day holidays because most come in on Sunday anyway.

We have a very large flea-antique-market event nearby that attracts thousands of people to the area each month on the first weekend of the month. Hotels, motels and B&B are guaranteed to fill their rooms during that time...mostly Thursday through Saturday nights, but occasionally we get holdovers through Sunday.
You would think that would be the best time to have a two-night minimum and treat it almost like a 3-day weekend. Nope, they're mostly one-nighters. We occasionally get a three or four-nighter especially when they are antique dealers coming from out of state. We make lots of $$ but we hate the room flips.
I'd like to change the Sundays during this event to the weekend rate, but I'm concerned about a loss of reservations if I do. We do charge the weekend rate for three-day holidays because most come in on Sunday anyway..
If this event fills the area's lodging properties, you can be dang sure the hotels are surcharging those weekends. Which means people are paying it and expecting to pay it.

I'd like to change the Sundays during this event to the weekend rate, but I'm concerned about a loss of reservations if I do. We do charge the weekend rate for three-day holidays because most come in on Sunday anyway..
If this event fills the area's lodging properties, you can be dang sure the hotels are surcharging those weekends. Which means people are paying it and expecting to pay it.
In that situation, I would charge Sunday as a weekend. It IS a weekend day, after all.

In that situation, I would charge Sunday as a weekend. It IS a weekend day, after all.
I agree...charge those special Sundays at your weekend rate.

to be honest we are so dead here on a sunday night I could probably close and have a lie in on monday mornings and loose very little revenue

to be honest we are so dead here on a sunday night I could probably close and have a lie in on monday mornings and loose very little revenue.
Shoot......give it a try!!
Sounds like a sanity-saver to me. Think how rested and energized you'll be for the rest of the week!
wink_smile.gif

to be honest we are so dead here on a sunday night I could probably close and have a lie in on monday mornings and loose very little revenue.
Shoot......give it a try!!
Sounds like a sanity-saver to me. Think how rested and energized you'll be for the rest of the week!
wink_smile.gif

I have two chaps in till the end of November and they don't have any breakfast woo hoo so get the revenue and the lie in. note to self must do more room only LOL

We do not, but some in our area do.
Riki.
I don't normally but these chaps have to be on site at 7am and I am not getting up that early and they work next door to a macdonalds and they open at 6am so they are happy to sort themselves out. I don't normally as keeping track of who has booked what would be bedlam plus you can guarantee the room only people will change their minds last minute and want it anyway.

We don't set separate rates for weekends, but we "treat" Sundays in terms of staffing etc as a weeknight because it "behaves" more like a weeknight than a weekend. Fri/Sat crowd tend to arrive promptly at 4pm check-in and will linger longer in the evenings over dinner because they are "at" their destination. Sunday travellers tend to be on their way home or somewhere else and will arrive later and are almost out the door as quickly as they arrive. Strange phenomenon.

A lot of places that do a booming weekend business will treat Thursday as part of the weekend. 2 night minimums can be Thurs/Fri or Fri/Sat for them. This captures that group. Of the innkeepers that I know that do this, they rarely have guests on Sunday.

Back