How does Groupon get paid?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard the use rate on hotel rooms is around 25%. restaurants it is over 50%. You would think us being a higher dollar item would get used more but who knows.

So far we've only had 19 groupons used out of 90 sold. We have 5 future bookings. (15% scheduled) The expiration date is 9/13/11 - we'll book future rooms (up to 6 months or so) if called by that date.

So far we've only had 19 groupons used out of 90 sold. We have 5 future bookings. (15% scheduled) The expiration date is 9/13/11 - we'll book future rooms (up to 6 months or so) if called by that date..
By the Side of the Road B&B in Harrisonburg, VA, sold over 1,300 room nights in 24 hours with the LivingSocial "Daily Deal" last April in the DC market. She's going to tell her story on Thursday at the Innkeeping Show in Charleston. She has very interesting stats about her occupancy, ADR and RevPar for last year April-Dec compared to the prior year.
LivingSocial is the 2nd largest social buying company (GroupOn the largest) and seems to be targeting more of their deals to include "experience" merchants, i.e. spas, restaurants, B&Bs, etc than what I've seen with GroupOn.
LivingSocial is getting more involved with PAII, so stay tuned.
These social buying programs should be entered into with open eyes - there apparently are some horror stories out there of merchants who have gone out of business because they made highly-unprofitable deals through GroupOn. You have to make sure you're covering at least your variable costs with every redemption.

So far we've only had 19 groupons used out of 90 sold. We have 5 future bookings. (15% scheduled) The expiration date is 9/13/11 - we'll book future rooms (up to 6 months or so) if called by that date..
By the Side of the Road B&B in Harrisonburg, VA, sold over 1,300 room nights in 24 hours with the LivingSocial "Daily Deal" last April in the DC market. She's going to tell her story on Thursday at the Innkeeping Show in Charleston. She has very interesting stats about her occupancy, ADR and RevPar for last year April-Dec compared to the prior year.
LivingSocial is the 2nd largest social buying company (GroupOn the largest) and seems to be targeting more of their deals to include "experience" merchants, i.e. spas, restaurants, B&Bs, etc than what I've seen with GroupOn.
These social buying programs should be entered into with open eyes - there apparently are some horror stories out there of merchants who have gone out of business because they made highly-unprofitable deals through GroupOn. You have to make sure you're covering at least your variable costs with every redemption.
WOW...She is a friend of mine who really has it together..so if any of you can go to this session...please do:)

jkarennj said:
This looks great for an inn that is in a not so popular location. We have an inn 20 minutes south of Charlottesvilel that did well with Groupon. But I would probably not want to get involved or regular guests would want to know why they can't get 50% off. I get bookings weekends and weekdays, so I don't think it would work for me.
RIki

That is like booking my whole year where I get 25 cents on the dollar. Cool from,an advertising standpoint but maybe a disaster financially.

They have a new twist. You can make your own Groupon quickly but it is more of a coupon with few details. You get 70% versus the 50% I had previously heard BUT you only get paid on the ones that get redeemed.

Greyswan said "The guests we have had so far have been wonderful.... only 2 had ever been to a B&B before." I wonder if they will be back as regular customers or are they going to expect to always pay only half price?

I'll be tracking that... we have had inquiries from one our previous groupon guests but didn't get to come for some reason... On a side note, one of vets from the B&Bs4Vets program returned recently.

Back