how does your ideal customer define quality?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Excerpt:
"...next time you find yourself in an argument about quality, ask yourself if you’re thinking about the one person who truly matters – the customer.
If you aren’t, move on. Because in the end, the customer is the only person who truly matters."

article here
http://www.craftmba.com/2010/10/19/how-does-your-ideal-customer-define-quality/
From JB - - Good food for fodder for innkeepers. As we often say "sleep in your own beds! Test the quality, the accessibility, the whole stay and see it from the guests pov." We also have the comeback of "then I have to clean the room again and I am too tired" or is that MY comeback to that?
Yesterday I freshened a room and found the THREE table lamps had been moved around. It baffled me for a moment, wondering why they did this. Later on there was a knock on the door and they requested a lightbulb. AH HA! That was why! One had burned out and they all, like every light in this flippin' house, used different bulbs, so they rotated the lamps instead. I ne'r thought of going and turning each one on. I will NEXT TIME of course, if this happens again.

This is an excellent article and something everyone should be figuring out before they ever start to market their place. Figure out who your ideal customers are and cater every little thing you can to what they would want. Sometimes it comes down to being the same as what YOU would want, but as we've discussed here before lots of us have places that we might not even choose to stay at if we were traveling! Some really good points.
And YES, even if you have to clean it right after, you should stay in every room you have as JB pointed out, there's just no other way to see how functional it is (or isn't).

This is an excellent article and something everyone should be figuring out before they ever start to market their place. Figure out who your ideal customers are and cater every little thing you can to what they would want. Sometimes it comes down to being the same as what YOU would want, but as we've discussed here before lots of us have places that we might not even choose to stay at if we were traveling! Some really good points.
And YES, even if you have to clean it right after, you should stay in every room you have as JB pointed out, there's just no other way to see how functional it is (or isn't)..
We have done our best to make the rooms what we would like to find when we go on vacation! Mostly that tends toward clean, easy access around the bed and other furniture, comfortable beds, lights near the beds, at least one flat surface for stuff and at least one upholstered chair.
I am always amazed when we appeal to a younger age group than we planned on. One group in for a wedding was so enthused they all asked if we did any kind of mailings and if so to put them on the list. All of them early 30's. And they all got up at 8 for breakfast. All ate everything. All asked for things to do and then did them.
But I do go around and test the rooms once/year. Take a shower. Turn on the lights. Check for noise. It's hard to check everything when I'm the only one in the house! Noise, etc doesn't come through if no one else is there.

And YES, even if you have to clean it right after, you should stay in every room you have as JB pointed out, there's just no other way to see how functional it is (or isn't)..
We have done our best to make the rooms what we would like to find when we go on vacation! Mostly that tends toward clean, easy access around the bed and other furniture, comfortable beds, lights near the beds, at least one flat surface for stuff and at least one upholstered chair.
I am always amazed when we appeal to a younger age group than we planned on. One group in for a wedding was so enthused they all asked if we did any kind of mailings and if so to put them on the list. All of them early 30's. And they all got up at 8 for breakfast. All ate everything. All asked for things to do and then did them.
But I do go around and test the rooms once/year. Take a shower. Turn on the lights. Check for noise. It's hard to check everything when I'm the only one in the house! Noise, etc doesn't come through if no one else is there.
I'll be happy to come to anyones place to be the room tester, noise tester, whatever it is you need to know about your rooms! Could be a new career for someone?!

Back