How Easy is it to Book your Hotel? Or do you give consumers a price jigsaw puzzle nightmare…

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I will agree that the times I have looked at hotel sites for rates for one night and gotten back 5-6 different packages, including 'best rate' that was higher than 'bed and breakfast'(!) I have wondered how to decide which plan to pick.
Of course I think my calendar is fairly easy to operate! But, I have had callers state they didn't even know there was a calendar or way to book the room themselves. Also have heard, 'But you DO have rooms open, right on your calendar!' (Only to explain that the blocked out boxes mean the rooms are taken. There IS a legend that explains that.) And, the converse, 'We just wanted to know if there's a possibility someone might cancel...' and all of the rooms are open.
It would be easier if they were only shown rooms that are available once they select a date. BUT, I don't like that as when I book I like to see what other dates are open without having to start all over again. I can wiggle around if I haven't made plane reservations yet, but I won't keep starting over and entering all the info ot see what's avail. OR, worse yet, I'm ok with moving rooms but the calendar just told me there are no rooms open for 5 nights.
I like the way your new setup works.

I will agree that the times I have looked at hotel sites for rates for one night and gotten back 5-6 different packages, including 'best rate' that was higher than 'bed and breakfast'(!) I have wondered how to decide which plan to pick.
Of course I think my calendar is fairly easy to operate! But, I have had callers state they didn't even know there was a calendar or way to book the room themselves. Also have heard, 'But you DO have rooms open, right on your calendar!' (Only to explain that the blocked out boxes mean the rooms are taken. There IS a legend that explains that.) And, the converse, 'We just wanted to know if there's a possibility someone might cancel...' and all of the rooms are open.
It would be easier if they were only shown rooms that are available once they select a date. BUT, I don't like that as when I book I like to see what other dates are open without having to start all over again. I can wiggle around if I haven't made plane reservations yet, but I won't keep starting over and entering all the info ot see what's avail. OR, worse yet, I'm ok with moving rooms but the calendar just told me there are no rooms open for 5 nights.
I like the way your new setup works..
I think that hotels have gone to this type of booking system to limit (or make people work) the information. We all know that hotels do not keep their rates at a consistant price - just like the airlines, they change the price structure for certain days of the week and demand. By having this type of system, you are less likely to see that you are booking during a peak period or that this hotel is higher during the week days than weekends.
In a recent webinar, it was suggested that we as B&B's take this (or simular) approach to pricing our rooms - but what a headache it would be to try to keep up with this multitude of changes, both for the rez system and to carry along when you are not by the computer.

I have to a certain extent, starting doing this for the summer months. If I have a room open for just two nights during the week, and it's all there is FOR the week, I set it up for a two night minimum. If a Saturday only availability occurs, I raise the rate by $10.00. Plus, I raised rates just before the start of summer. Must be my hotel background...yield management being the big buzzword in that neck of the woods.
Considering our slow months have been getting a little slower, and the busy months are getting busier the last few years, it makes sense to make more hay with less work while the sun shines. My July calendar is looking pretty crazy. I feel like I'm almost at the top of the first big hill on the monster coaster.

I think that hotels have gone to this type of booking system to limit (or make people work) the information. We all know that hotels do not keep their rates at a consistant price - just like the airlines, they change the price structure for certain days of the week and demand. By having this type of system, you are less likely to see that you are booking during a peak period or that this hotel is higher during the week days than weekends.
In a recent webinar, it was suggested that we as B&B's take this (or simular) approach to pricing our rooms - but what a headache it would be to try to keep up with this multitude of changes, both for the rez system and to carry along when you are not by the computer.
Edited to delete dupe.

copperhead said:
It's really not as hard as it may seem. After all, I'm betting you pretty much know the rates for each of your rooms at any given time by heart.
When you raise the rates seasonally, it's super easy. The change last months.
But even when you adjust the rates within a season, it's easier than you might think to keep up with. And what's the harm if you don't? Say you want to raise your rates in a room to $190 for a particularly busy week and forget and quote them $175, its typical rate. You've still gotten the $175 you otherwise would have, so no loss for trying.
At the end of the year, those occasional increases can really add up. And sometime in the years to come, you'll likely want to sell your inn. Anything you can do now to keep your ADR strong will help later.

It's also not a wise idea to keep the price from the guest. I totally get that some will look at higher prices and think 'gouging' while others will think 'make hay while the sun shines'. I can't keep up with all the different prices. We looked at a place that had different prices for every weekend based on what event was in town...tennis & equestrian events had the biggest price increase.
There are times I'll work they system, going back and forth, changing dates, saying I have AAA or something, just to see what the discounts are. But, I'm not one to want to work at making a stupid reservation. If it becomes onerous, I will call, which defeats the purpose of having the online booking system in the first place.

I have to a certain extent, starting doing this for the summer months. If I have a room open for just two nights during the week, and it's all there is FOR the week, I set it up for a two night minimum. If a Saturday only availability occurs, I raise the rate by $10.00. Plus, I raised rates just before the start of summer. Must be my hotel background...yield management being the big buzzword in that neck of the woods.
Considering our slow months have been getting a little slower, and the busy months are getting busier the last few years, it makes sense to make more hay with less work while the sun shines. My July calendar is looking pretty crazy. I feel like I'm almost at the top of the first big hill on the monster coaster..
Ha, ha, without reading your comment, I said the same thing about making hay while the sun shines!

copperhead said:
It's really not as hard as it may seem. After all, I'm betting you pretty much know the rates for each of your rooms at any given time by heart.
But even when you adjust the rates within a season, it's easier than you might think to keep up with. And what's the harm if you don't? Say you want to raise your rates in a room to $190 for a particularly busy week and forget and quote them $175, its typical rate. You've still gotten the $175 you otherwise would have, so no loss for trying.
At the end of the year, those occasional increases can really add up. And sometime in the years to come, you'll likely want to sell your inn. Anything you can do now to keep your ADR strong will help later.
We do find it difficult to remember the rates because the rooms are different and have different prices. Poor Gomez thought he was giving a discount yesterday but he quoted a high rate and then discounted down to what the room really is. Not good if the guest decides to see what the rates are. They feel snookered.
However, I do move the prices around when dates start to fill.

copperhead said:
We do find it difficult to remember the rates because the rooms are different and have different prices. Poor Gomez thought he was giving a discount yesterday but he quoted a high rate and then discounted down to what the room really is. Not good if the guest decides to see what the rates are. They feel snookered.
Morticia said:
There you go.

I get this whole thing, you put in a date and up pops twenty diff rates...I think aloud when I am looking at booking a hotel room:
  1. Am I Military?
  2. Am I AARP?
  3. Am I government rate?
  4. Am I AAA?
  5. Am I Corporate?
  6. Am I a king or two full sized beds?
  7. Am I handicap first floor?
  8. Am I smoking?
  9. Am I prepaid with no cancellation?
  10. Am I internet discount?
  11. Am I bed and breakfast package?
  12. Am I partial view balcony or view?
  13. Am I pool or patio view?
  14. ...
It IS frustrating. I posted this article to ask: Are your rates easy to find? Can a guest see what the rate is and book the dang room?
There is a new inn 25 minutes from us, I went to their website...Okay there are the room pix where are the rates? So there are room pix, how do I book a room? Ahh I see "Our B&B s all about service and personal attention, so you can call us for the rates and speak to us!"
..and we will answer if we are home and not serving breakfast or cleaning rooms or on the line with other callers...otherwise you can get the personal attention from our answering machine and play phone tag for three days solid, oh you mean you actually wanted to PLAN and BOOK your vacation? d'oh
PLEASE PUT THE ROOMS AND RATES WHERE ANYONE CAN FIND THEM. Don't hide them, don't play games with them, post the rates!!!
cry_smile.gif

I get this whole thing, you put in a date and up pops twenty diff rates...I think aloud when I am looking at booking a hotel room:
  1. Am I Military?
  2. Am I AARP?
  3. Am I government rate?
  4. Am I AAA?
  5. Am I Corporate?
  8. Am I smoking?
  14. ...
It IS frustrating. I posted this article to ask: Are your rates easy to find? Can a guest see what the rate is and book the dang room?
There is a new inn 25 minutes from us, I went to their website...Okay there are the room pix where are the rates? So there are room pix, how do I book a room? Ahh I see "Our B&B s all about service and personal attention, so you can call us for the rates and speak to us!"
..and we will answer if we are home and not serving breakfast or cleaning rooms or on the line with other callers...otherwise you can get the personal attention from our answering machine and play phone tag for three days solid, oh you mean you actually wanted to PLAN and BOOK your vacation? d'oh
PLEASE PUT THE ROOMS AND RATES WHERE ANYONE CAN FIND THEM. Don't hide them, don't play games with them, post the rates!!!
cry_smile.gif
Right. Post the dang rates so we can all get on with our days. Those who like the rates will book, those who don't will move on or try to get a discount and we won't be embarrassing anyone on the phone who has a $75 budget and does the 'OH!' when we mention the prices.
I won't call. I won't embarrass myself like that. Tell me the price and let me decide for myself if I want to pay it. AND, tell me what it includes. Don't make me guess. (That said, had a call earlier from a guest who has a rez and says my email doesn't tell them what kind of breakfast they will be getting, when they can eat, if it's a buffet, if they have to eat at a certain time with everyone else.)
OK, totally off this topic, but I have gotten confirms that say: You have a room. It is this price. Thank you.
No directions, no nothing. And these people wanted a menu!

1. Am I Military?
  2. Am I AARP?
  3. Am I government rate?
  4. Am I AAA?
  5. Am I Corporate?
  8. Am I smoking?
  14. ...
cry_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
cry_smile.gif
Ditto.

I thought I did. It IS on each room BUT because of these comments, I went in to my Rooms and Rates page and added what the rates are for each room.
No one seemed to be frustrated in the past but as JB says - absence of proof............
Off to play bocce. We have a league now.

I love bocce!
If you can imagine I had an inquiry just last night from o/s asking about availability and what the rates are for July 5 and 6. They emailed the inquiry FROM my website, each and every room has a rate (on the rooms page AND each and every room page) and on the reservation page.
I am not sure where ELSE you could put them but right there. But again, people are used to the jigsaw rates things so prob don't trust the rate they see.

I thought I did. It IS on each room BUT because of these comments, I went in to my Rooms and Rates page and added what the rates are for each room.
No one seemed to be frustrated in the past but as JB says - absence of proof............
Off to play bocce. We have a league now..
Good grief, I have a CHART under each room photo stating the rates, a link to the calendar next to each room pic that says 'get the exact rates for your stay', and I still get those calls about 'what are your rates?' I have to remember to ask where they got the phone number first.

Well this couple from Scotland just booked, so I guess I was nice enough in my reply. I am only mean on here, I am nice to the guests. LOL
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Have you had any TESTERS give it a shot and see what needs to be added or deleted or simplified?
I'm just rereading this and realizing that people are testing this everyday. The ones who 'get it' make a rez. The ones who don't either go elsewhere or decide to call. We just never know about the ones who go elsewhere. I will say I have NEVER had a guest on the phone say, 'We picked you because we just couldn't figure out how to make a rez anywhere else.' Or, 'We got disgusted trying to make a rez somewhere else, it was too much work.' Or, 'Wow, that was the easiest reservation system I ever used!' (In person on arrival, or in an email.)
The only consistent thing I hear is, 'Well, we never know if these calendar things are up to date, so we call.' And that means a LOT of them are not up to date.

Joey Bloggs said:
Have you had any TESTERS give it a shot and see what needs to be added or deleted or simplified?
I'm just rereading this and realizing that people are testing this everyday. The ones who 'get it' make a rez. The ones who don't either go elsewhere or decide to call. We just never know about the ones who go elsewhere. I will say I have NEVER had a guest on the phone say, 'We picked you because we just couldn't figure out how to make a rez anywhere else.' Or, 'We got disgusted trying to make a rez somewhere else, it was too much work.' Or, 'Wow, that was the easiest reservation system I ever used!' (In person on arrival, or in an email.)
The only consistent thing I hear is, 'Well, we never know if these calendar things are up to date, so we call.' And that means a LOT of them are not up to date..
Morticia said:
Or, 'We got disgusted trying to make a rez somewhere else, it was too much work.'
I send up a little thanks every day that the small independent hotel near me - the one that pays a fortune to advertise in the Sunday Washington Post every week - has got no clue in the online availability and booking arena. They finally have a better website, but I have only been able to get their reservations page to load once - it times out. And it's not my DSL that's the problem. Once you do get in you have to put in all your personal contact information before it will give you additional information. I'm sure they prefer people to call anyway - maybe this is the way they make that happen.

I love bocce!
If you can imagine I had an inquiry just last night from o/s asking about availability and what the rates are for July 5 and 6. They emailed the inquiry FROM my website, each and every room has a rate (on the rooms page AND each and every room page) and on the reservation page.
I am not sure where ELSE you could put them but right there. But again, people are used to the jigsaw rates things so prob don't trust the rate they see..
Hijacked thread: We now have 2 state-of-the-art bocce courts at our park and leafues have just been formed. It was decided women play Monday and Friday. We lost 3 games tonight. I had never played in my life before last Friday! But it IS fun!
Monday = bocce weekly/City Council meeting (twice a month)/first Monday Development Authority meeting
Tuesday = band rehearsal
Wednesday = open (so far)
Thursday = Kiwanis
Friday (weekly) = bocce/guest arrivals (I hope)

Back