How Excited can I get???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
I'm thrilled that things are moving right along for the Tea Room. Everything seems to be falling right into place. I picked up the "CUTEST" chairs at auction and guess what?? They have tea cups with steam floating out the top as the back of the chairs! I'll try to post a pick.
AND today I got a call from a gal "FROM OUT OF TOWN" wanting to make reservations in Oct for 12 adults for the Tea Room! How exciting is that???
I have not even begun to advertise yet!! But its the talk of the town! We had a wine walk in town yesterday and people were walking by and they were talking about the 'tea room' opening up! My tourism office is doing a GREAT job of advertising for me!
BUT ... I'm sooo nervous tooo!!

Can't wait to see some pics. Excited for you. Things are going your way..YEAH!

Now I'm thinking about what sort of things PITA tea drinkers find to complain about. It will be interesting to hear how it goes. Keep the positive thinking and the enthusiasm and maybe the feeling will rub off on the guests!

Now I'm thinking about what sort of things PITA tea drinkers find to complain about. It will be interesting to hear how it goes. Keep the positive thinking and the enthusiasm and maybe the feeling will rub off on the guests!.
With all my choices for tea, this morning I was asked if I had Lip tons..... HUH? No. He settled (?) for Yorkshire (thank you mu friend!).

Now I'm thinking about what sort of things PITA tea drinkers find to complain about. It will be interesting to hear how it goes. Keep the positive thinking and the enthusiasm and maybe the feeling will rub off on the guests!.
Arkansawyer said:
Now I'm thinking about what sort of things PITA tea drinkers find to complain about. It will be interesting to hear how it goes. Keep the positive thinking and the enthusiasm and maybe the feeling will rub off on the guests!
Arkansawyer makes a good point. Now that your tearoom is just about ready, what kind of shape is your menu in and can you make a proper cup of tea?
Is your staff trained in Tea ettiquite and will they be dressed in appropriate serving attire?
We have been to many establishments that called themselves "tearooms" but all they offered were lame sandwiches and Lipton tea. The staff wore jeans and logoed T-shirts.
Having visited the UK several times, we have experienced Tea Time in it's proper form. It can, and should be, the height of elegance and civility. We have not experienced that as frequently in the States.
Your decor, which is very well done by the way, will get them in the door, but their overall experience will bring them back.
Good luck and God speed!

SUnshine, can you please clarify for us.
Are you doing actual "formal teas" or just serving lunches and offering tea?
Are you going to be open to the general public? Or, just special reservations for groups etc.?
I know you are working out the "kinks" but it would be good to know exactly what your final business plan looks like so folks here won't be guessing and offering suggestions that don't apply.
We all wish you BEST OF LUCK in your new endeavor.

Devonshire Tea.
This is how I explain our southern biscuits to our overseas guests, as they are curious. Similar to scones from a Devonshire Tea.

Arkansawyer said:
Arkansawyer makes a good point. Now that your tearoom is just about ready, what kind of shape is your menu in and can you make a proper cup of tea?
Is your staff trained in Tea ettiquite and will they be dressed in appropriate serving attire?
We have been to many establishments that called themselves "tearooms" but all they offered were lame sandwiches and Lipton tea. The staff wore jeans and logoed T-shirts.
Having visited the UK several times, we have experienced Tea Time in it's proper form. It can, and should be, the height of elegance and civility. We have not experienced that as frequently in the States.
Your decor, which is very well done by the way, will get them in the door, but their overall experience will bring them back.
Good luck and God speed!
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
> Yes to both!! My dear sweet mother in law taught me how to make a good cup of tea years ago.. It was because of her, I learned to 'LOVE' tea!
> I am in the process of training them now. I think they will catch on. One is so eager and excited to learn how to do this. AND I have given them a "DRESS CODE"!
>I agree... We have two like that in our town! It's sad that people think that makes a tea room. YOU WON'T find that at my place!!! Like I said above... / or below... , There is NOT a PROPER tea room around here for at least 100 miles!
> THATs exactly what I want to bring back. I hope to eventually offer classes ( if we are here long enough) in proper tea etiquette and tea making. Different teas require different temperatures and different steep times (of course depending on your preferred taste too).
I want to introduce tea as more than 'a tea bag'! I want people to learn of the healthful benefits of tea, -- both from drinking it and from 'relaxing and enjoying' it.
Your decor, which is very well done by the way, will get them in the door, but their overall experience will bring them back. >Thank you very much.
Good luck and God speed! > and thank you again.
I inserted my comments/responses above with a > in front... ^

Are you going to be open to the general public? Or, just special reservations for groups etc.?
I know you are working out the "kinks" but it would be good to know exactly what your final business plan looks like so folks here won't be guessing and offering suggestions that don't apply.
We all wish you BEST OF LUCK in your new endeavor..
EmptyNest said:
Sure, Sorry bout that... didn't mean to be vague!
Yes, Yes, Yes.
We we are going to offer 'formal teas'... by reservation.
Tea parties (both little girls and adults), etc... by reservations
AND
We are going to be open to the public 11-3, and yes we are serving lunch ( I have a menu) that includes delightful sandwiches, quiche, salads, soups, scones, and desserts. AND TEA... I'm starting out with just 20-25 high quality loose leaf teas.
I'm hiring help, and probably a house keeper.
The entire town is talking about this. Today I had a lady talk to me today about bringing a group of women up to the tea room once a month from a town 30 minutes away! '
There is nothing close to this within 100 miles of us. So folks are getting pretty excited about it.
---- OH...
ALSO... I'm opening a gift shop here too. Not "In" the tea room but in the room next to it. The room that is currently the library. We are moving out all the 'library' stuff (books, desks, etc) and moving the 'sitting area' from the parlor into the library, and then emptying the shelves of books, and using the shelves to display items for sale. We also are moving in two nice oak display units to also display sale items too.
I will be selling items needed to make tea (tea pots, infusers etc.) tea, and gifts. Home decor type, jewelry, jams, butters, and feature local artist type of things including some local singers CD's.

With all my choices for tea, this morning I was asked if I had Lip tons..... HUH? No. He settled (?) for Yorkshire (thank you mu friend!).
gillumhouse said:
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:

gillumhouse said:

I live in the town Yorkshire Tea comes from - it would be a local scandal to serve anything else!

EmptyNest said:
Yes, Yes, Yes.
AND
We are going to be open to the public 11-3, and yes we are serving lunch ( I have a menu) that includes delightful sandwiches, quiche, salads, soups, scones, and desserts. AND TEA... I'm starting out with just 20-25 high quality loose leaf teas.
The entire town is talking about this. Today I had a lady talk to me today about bringing a group of women up to the tea room once a month from a town 30 minutes away! '
There is nothing close to this within 100 miles of us. So folks are getting pretty excited about it.
---- OH...
ALSO... I'm opening a gift shop here too. Not "In" the tea room but in the room next to it. The room that is currently the library. We are moving out all the 'library' stuff (books, desks, etc) and moving the 'sitting area' from the parlor into the library, and then emptying the shelves of books, and using the shelves to display items for sale. We also are moving in two nice oak display units to also display sale items too.
I will be selling items needed to make tea (tea pots, infusers etc.) tea, and gifts. Home decor type, jewelry, jams, butters, and feature local artist type of things including some local singers CD's.
WOW you are really going at it. Maybe you can just close the B & B and concentrate on the Tea Room :) I really don't know how you will keep up with it all but can't wait to see lots of photos and hear some wonderful stories. We all know you to things beyond 100%

EmptyNest said:
Yes, Yes, Yes.
AND
---- OH...
Sounds lovely! You are going 100% and in FF! So glad the town is spinning with the news. Best of luck!!!

Back